Author Topic: Different % usage for different weapons  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Different % usage for different weapons
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:09:34 AM »
I'm thinking of making some adjustment to the % of action needed to make an attack, based on the weapon a character is wielding. That's beacuse some weapons IMHO need more effort than others to be swinged at your enemy, for example it takes more time to make an attack with a flail than stabbing someone with a knife.
So I'm thinking of dividing weapons into three classes, and having each class using a different % of action to make an attack:
- Bulky (flails, two-handed swords,...): 70-100%
- Medium (swords, maces,...): 60-100% (that would be 50-100 in RMC)
- Light (daggers, punches,...): 60-90% (50-90% in RMC)

Does this makes sense?  ;D
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Different % usage for different weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 11:30:46 AM »
Well yeah in the sense that a heavy and/or unwieldy weapon would take longer to attack with. Not sure if its "worth" it gamemechanics wise ???
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
Please also take into account that in the course of a 10s round, a weapon is not necessarily swung only once. So a bulky weapon like a flail might be swung perhaps twice, but it does quite a lot of damage if it hits during one of these swings, while a light weapon like a dagger strikes perhaps five times, but it does much less damage.

Therefore IMHO it makes only little sense to modify the % of action required for each weapon.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 12:21:57 PM »
I wouldn't modify the percentage activity, but the initiative modifiers

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 04:02:44 PM »
Please also take into account that in the course of a 10s round, a weapon is not necessarily swung only once. So a bulky weapon like a flail might be swung perhaps twice, but it does quite a lot of damage if it hits during one of these swings, while a light weapon like a dagger strikes perhaps five times, but it does much less damage.

Yeah, you're right... I was forgetting that! So yes, it makes no sense adding a similar rule. Thanks! ;)
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:16:56 AM »

That's exactly what I was thinking. You just modify the initiative mods to reflect which weapons are faster to use than others. If you really want to get detailed (and what RM player doesn't  ;D) you could then modify that by the character's strength modifier. WOW. Modifying the modifier - could we get more knit-picky?!?
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 01:33:36 AM »
 I also think that there are second by second systems out there that may take that into account. I know Rasyr said he wrote one and it is on his site but I have not had a chance to take a look at it. Also I think there is oen called Ceets or Cheets or something like that, check the vault or the links pages and you shoudl find it.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »
CEATS -- originally published in one of the Rolemaster Companions, and then updated and published on the Guild Companion (you can search for it there -- no idea if the author also put a copy in the Vault).

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:38:18 AM »

This reeks of weapon speeds in ole DnD, were a dagger went first over all other weapons.  Sure you can swing a dagger fast, but what about the attach arch of the longer weapon?  Reach counts, and running into the longer weaon is going to wound just as quickly as a swing when the weilder takes advantage of it and applies his own strength behind it.

Some details are not needed.   A certain level of relaity is difficult to model.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 02:56:19 PM »
Yammahopper,
 I do agree that the problem of reach is/can a tough one in a combat system. IMO you have to add some mod when closeing on a person with long reach weapon so as the dagger does not attack first. Then you have to work it so as the dagger might get an attack before the long reach weapon. And not to be left out there has to be rules so a person with a reach weapon can try and keep a person at distance so they allways get the bonus as well as the flip side with the dagger staying inside so as to get there bonus.
 A lot of dancing around that can become a bit of wargame instead of free flowing combat.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:43:40 PM »
A lot of dancing around that can become a bit of wargame instead of free flowing combat.

Yep, which is why I prefer to avoid it.  Yes, in real life an armed man can prevent an unarmed foe, or even a foe with a significantly shorter weapon, from ever getting an attack.  This is not parry, but simply maximizing the advantage.  In a romantic game, and even RM maintians level of romance, such rules are cumbersome and typically unbalancing.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.