Author Topic: Combat Companion and ranks TP/everyman  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Combat Companion and ranks TP/everyman
« on: August 12, 2008, 04:30:50 AM »
As now the OB is developed as styles directly, we have 2 problems, the ranks for adolescence/TP and the everyman/restricted skills. This is for RMFRP system but can be used in any other.

- For 1st is think the solution is simple, compute the total DP obtained by adolescence/TPs, etc. and use them to buy ranks in your styles.

i.e. our race has 2 ranks in edge cat. and 2 ranks in edge skill, 1 rank in missile cat. and 1 rank in missile skill, and 1 rank in any other skill and cat. Those are a total of 8 ranks, now you should compute your costs (as CC says) to determine the DPs.
Suppose we have a Ninja, its costs for CC are 3/4 4/7 2/4 and 6 that adjusting for CC are equal to 3/6 4 2/4 and 6.

So, 6 rank for melee and 2 ranks for missile are 18 + 8 = 26 DPs. Use adolescence and TPs always as 1st cost. Remember that for TPs we need to multiply by 0.75 for DP calculation.

In the case of ninja, if our TP give us 2 ranks in melee cat. and 2 ranks in melee skill, it gives us 12 x 0.75 = 9 DP for buy combat styles.

- The other problem, everyman/restricted skills. How can this be managed?. We can't simply make 1 weapon styles to develop as everyman, because styles give us more than simple OB, and adquiring ranks too fast can be unbalanced.

I think my suggestion for this is make some calculations to adjust the DP cost for that style that includes the weapon/s everyman/restricted.

This can be difficult, and what to do when we have 'adrenal defense' as everyman?.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Combat Companion and ranks TP/everyman
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
For first one: I have used a 1 rank = 1 rank conversion for basic styles (styles with only 1 weapon + basic attack). If you want to buy more advanced styles you get 1 rank less for each cost increment of the style (so for 4 ranks you get 4 ranks if the style cost 1-2 pts; 3 for 3-4 pts; 2 for 5-6; 1 for 7-8 and none for all else).

Second: I let things as they were.

This can be difficult, and what to do when we have 'adrenal defense' as everyman?

Combat Companion Adrenal defense is much more balanced that the old one as it max out at +75 (note that you should not use both version of adrenal defense together!), so I don't see many problems in having it linked to a everyman style.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 06:23:56 AM »
Yes, for converting a character, just select the appropriate styles that replace the existing styles. Keep it simple for the conversion.

For your ninja example - 2 ranks in the cat and 2 ranks weapon would, IMO, work out to be 2 ranks in a 5pt Weapon Group style (no add-ons, just the basic attack/parry capabilities). This allows use of 1 weapon at full OB, and all other weapons in the group at a -10 to OB.

As for O/E/R skills, my suggestion would be to do a column shift by adjusting the total number of style points in the given style for its classification.

Occupational = -4 Style Points
Everyman = -2 Style Points
Restricted = +4 Style Points

The adjust style Point cost cannot reduce a style to less than 1 Style Point.

As for Adrenal Defense - Since Combat Companion links it directly to specific styles, then use the above adjustments for skill classification for the whole style.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:20 AM »
You are right, I has been thinking about it and surely the best option is midifing the style cost, for example, if you have AD as everyman, then you can choose the AD option with 2 instead 4 points cost.

And for weapons the same, reduce the cost in balance, so for 1-single weapon style the cost for weapon option is 1 instead 2, if you choose a group (i.e.) with original cost 5:

- 1 weapon everyman: 4 points.
- half or more: 3 points.
- all weapons in group everyman: 2 points.

and things like that. Only need some custom adjusting as we can have cases that only some weapons in group are everyman, but I suppose any RM GM can find easily its own ones, maybe point more or few but that is not important.