Author Topic: Erf! can't find this out  (Read 2132 times)

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Erf! can't find this out
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »
I'm about to come back to Rolemaster for a new campaign so I'm reading the rules anew. The problem is I have two issues and, leafing thru the various supplements I have I didn't find any answer.

The first issue is with falling damage: I can't find the rules dealing with this topic  :-\
The second issue deals with damage and spellcasting: does an injury interrupts a spell maintains by concentration ? Could a fighter wining the initiative, delay his action to hit a spellcaster while he is preparing his spell in order to prevent spellcasting ?

Do you remember where are these issues addressed ?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Erf! can't find this out
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 05:10:01 PM »
 jps,

I do not have the books in frount of my right now but I can give you an answer for the concentration question. First I think it is inportant for you to let us know what version of RM you are playing? RMC/2/X or RMSS/FRP? Another helpful bit would be what books do you have or so not have.

The concentration question for the RMSS/FRP question is covered in the Mentalism Companion or the Essence Companion. I can not remember which just right now but one of them has info about the concentration skill and its usees. It might also be covered in the School Of Hard Knocks but I have not looked at that book in a long time.

I will be able to get back to you later with more info.

Welcome Back
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »
ah yes, my mistake there so many versions  ;D

I play RMFRP I think have all RMFRP books (with the exceptions of Castle and ruins and the essence companion which, btw is a RMSS product if my memory serves me well)
I'm checking the mentalism companion thx  ;)

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
That's it I found it ! ^^

Mentalism Companion p 39-40 introduces a new skill: Spell Concentration. That means that without this skill hitting a concentrating spellcaster should indeed interupt the spell.

Also I've got enlightened and suddenly remember the falling damage were ... a footnote of the Fall/Crush Table in Arms Law (that's almost vicious  ;D )

Thanks for your help Markc

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 06:49:29 PM »
jps,

No problem. Just ask and people here are generally very helpful. Also the RMSS Essence Companion was a very hard find in print but now can be found as a PDF on ICE's website or the Guild Compaion's web site and IMO is a good value for the $.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline David Johansen

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 01:28:42 AM »
Falling damage is covered by the Fall / Crush attack table in Arms Law.

Generally I'd rule that getting stunned interupts a current spell and prevents preparation until the target isn't stunned.

If they don't get stunned and fireball you well, that's just a job related hazard isn't it?

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:43 AM »
I don't like loads of skills so I don't use the Spell Concentration skill but i like the idea so I rolled up the use of it into a skill I call Meditation/Mental Focus, which is used for meditation as well as maintaining concentration in adverse conditions (either casting or even performing static maneuvers in a combat situation, etc)

Offline jps

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »
I think I might go for the meditation skill too and consider the concentration skill to be more specific (thanks to this skill you could maintain a C spell with less than 50% activity).

I agree that being stunned should break any preparation or concentration but getting hurt should make the job harder, so I'll probably require a meditation skill test using the Concentration skill modifiers i.e.: CPs lost -20 and -10 per critical level (A= -10, B-20 and so on)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 06:02:30 PM »
 I also adjust the roll needed to maintain concentration depending on the attack result. I do not lump it together with meditation as I allow spell casters to regain PP's faster if they use the meditation skill as well as the other benifits of meditation.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.