Author Topic: Armor penalty and attacks  (Read 3247 times)

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • You wouldn't want to hurt me, now, would you?
Armor penalty and attacks
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:48:56 AM »
A quick question for those HARP experts here:

By a strict reading of the armor penalty system, I get the impression that the Max or Min penalty apply to all skills with Ag and Qu as a base ability. Does that include weapon skills? So that a perfectly trained full-plate wearing knight would get a whoppy malus to his attacks?

Or is it only to maneuver skills implying movement (e.g. jump, tumble, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

Cheers,
Bocklin

Offline masque1223

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Armor penalty and attacks
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:07:07 AM »
Everything.

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 05:46:49 AM »
Thanks.

Tough, but interesting. Still learning the intricacies of HARP...

Offline Mormegil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 06:06:34 AM »
It's one of the things I don't like about HARP - it means you virtually have to use the martial law armour based crit modifiers to give an incentive to use heavy armour.

It's quite common though. Ars Magica is the same (fighting from horseback removes the penalty making a knight on a warhorse pretty deadly). DnD also reduced movement rates so you ended up with a bunch of spring attacking leather armour guys dancing around the plate guys.

The other way of looking at it is that it gives characters a reason to carry another suit of armour on a packhorse - they wear leather day to day but put on plate when they know that they're up against a major foe.

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 09:52:08 AM »
The group I'm in were exited by Martial Law Improved and Master work armour for just this reason. All of a sudden a plate mail character goes from a minimum penalty of -20 to just -10 for wearing Master work armour.

It's also reasonable inexpensive (at least it is when measured against magic items) at 10x the base cost and you get +10 to DB as well.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 10:03:57 AM »
It's one of the things I don't like about HARP - it means you virtually have to use the martial law armour based crit modifiers to give an incentive to use heavy armour.

It's quite common though. Ars Magica is the same (fighting from horseback removes the penalty making a knight on a warhorse pretty deadly). DnD also reduced movement rates so you ended up with a bunch of spring attacking leather armour guys dancing around the plate guys.

I think that's because heavy armours are supposed to be... well, heavy  ;D
Do you think that they shouldn't hinder movement/actions in any way?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 10:35:45 AM »
I think the system works well that way. After all, wearing a full plate for a fully trained character only entails a -20 malus. Considering that your average knight is probably between level 5 and 7, it is not too large a penalty. But fighting with armor is definitively more difficult than without.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline masque1223

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »
Not to mention that the majority of heavy armor wearing characters are going to be primarily fighters and have the advantage when it comes to increasing combat skills to compensate for the maneuver penalties.

Offline Mormegil

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 05:06:10 AM »
I think that's because heavy armours are supposed to be... well, heavy  ;D
Do you think that they shouldn't hinder movement/actions in any way?

Possibly a reduction in movement rate is fine but if it impacts your OB it means that nobody wears heavy armour. You can argue about whether or not it's realistic but that's kind of silly unless you want to start agonising about everything else that's unrealistic.

I prefer the old rolemaster method (penalty to missile attacks only).

Of course it does give the GM an easy treasure idea (players will always want better armour).

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 05:58:25 AM »
Don't forget improved workmanship or master workmanship or even some material bonus. Nonetheless there are many options to reduce the penalties.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 09:49:24 AM »
Don't forget improved workmanship or master workmanship or even some material bonus. Nonetheless there are many options to reduce the penalties.

Indeed!

And with the Masterwork, improved Material armours (In Martial Law) the penalties are reduced further, without introducing Magical items into the mix (Especially for PC's at lower levels).
And it is even better when you introduce armor peicemeal - thus you dont throw out the economy of the entire region by a suit of fullplate masterwork, etc...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 10:47:28 AM »
Possibly a reduction in movement rate is fine but if it impacts your OB it means that nobody wears heavy armour.

My players never complained so much about the OB penalty, probably because by the time they were able to afford buying a set of plate armor they were fully skilled in it.
If you're skilled enough, Plate Armor actually enhance your OB, if you compare it with leather armor:
Leather Armor (soft) gives you a +20 to DB and +0 to OB
Plate Armor gives you a +60 to DB and -20 to OB
That means that a fighter wearing leather armor must spend 40 points of his OB to have the same DB than one wearing Plate Armor. So a fighter wearing Plate will have 20 points of OB more than one wearing leather usable to attack (40 -20 of penalty), because armor protect him.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 11:13:31 AM »

Where is that?

Coming from a (light) RMC background, I had expected something similar, but have not find it in my HARP book so far. Or is it not in the main core book?

Thanks in advance.
Bocklin

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »

Where is that?

Coming from a (light) RMC background, I had expected something similar, but have not find it in my HARP book so far. Or is it not in the main core book?

Thanks in advance.
Bocklin

They are in Martial Law...
The book is worth owning... in my opinion.
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline bocklin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 01:09:46 AM »
They are in Martial Law...
The book is worth owning... in my opinion.

Thanks!

Quick follow up question: are the rules (and prices!) for magic and masterwork items the same as in RMC?

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 01:57:30 AM »
Hi bocklin,

Heck NO!
The prices and how to calculate them are all given in  Martial Law.

Prices of full suits of STD, IMproved and Masterwork are all given but it explains the pricing method so you can calculate for each peice of armour (improved soft leather helm, masterwork superior steel bracer, etc)
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com