Author Topic: Question: RMFRP Arcane Companion?  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Saddith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Question: RMFRP Arcane Companion?
« on: August 01, 2008, 08:59:51 AM »
Has the book ?Arcane Companion?, mentioned in Rolemaster?s Character Law (SKU 5806) page 45, been published yet? ???

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Question: RMFRP Arcane Companion?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
I am going to presume that you are referring to the "Companions" paragraph on the last page of RMFRP's Character Law.

Those Companions listed were essentially going to be nothing more than a repackaging of the Companions that had already been published for RMSS.

So, in once sense, yes they had already been published -- even before that book had been published.

However, that was also the time period (the mentioned publication date) where the old ICE was basically in its death throes thanks to the bankruptcy and the problems surrounding it, and a lot of those repackagings never got published.

And then thanks to the bankruptcy and the way the older contracts were written, the new (and current) ICE doesn't have the full rights to those products, and thus cannot republish them.

Offline Saddith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:02 AM »
I am going to presume that you are referring to the "Companions" paragraph on the last page of RMFRP's Character Law.

I was referring to the following paragraph in chapter four, but they appear to reference the same book:

?This category encompasses the acquisition and use of spells that manipulate Arcane magic, the oldest form of magic. Note that Arcane magic does not conform to the three realms of magic. Note also that the costs given here are for the Open Arcane Lists; full guidelines for the use of Arcane magic will be provided in the Arcane Companion.? RMFRP Character Law page 45

Those Companions listed were essentially going to be nothing more than a repackaging of the Companions that had already been published for RMSS.

So, in once sense, yes they had already been published -- even before that book had been published.

However, that was also the time period (the mentioned publication date) where the old ICE was basically in its death throes thanks to the bankruptcy and the problems surrounding it, and a lot of those repackagings never got published.

And then thanks to the bankruptcy and the way the older contracts were written, the new (and current) ICE doesn't have the full rights to those products, and thus cannot republish them.

I do not see the Arcane Companion listed with the RMSS books. When ICE Crown lost the rights to republish them did they also lose the rights to sell the books they had already published with RMSS?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
I do not see the Arcane Companion listed with the RMSS books. When ICE Crown lost the rights to republish them did they also lose the rights to sell the books they had already published with RMSS?

When the old ICE properties were sold in the bankruptcy, many rights reverted to the authors of products due to the way that the contracts were written.

It did not matter what version of RM the product was for, it depended upon how the contract was written.

So yes, ICE lost the rights to a number of RMSS products due to the bankruptcy sale.

Offline Saddith

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:26:06 PM »
Thank You.  :)