Author Topic: Combat Companion  (Read 2407 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Companion
« on: July 23, 2008, 10:40:15 AM »
So I have been reading about Combat Companion and have some questions.  Does this replace the Arms Law/Spell Law tables?  Is this compatible with all versions of RM?  We typically play RMSS hopefully that works.  What does it add other then some new charts.  I noticed it said the armor is completly different, how?

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Combat Companion
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:58:50 AM »
Hopefully you'll find answer to your questions here:
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=5954.0  ;)

BTW Combat Companion styles and new armor rules/attack tables are fully compatible with RMSS/FRP
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
Didn't really tell me what I wanted to know, but screw it.  I love ICE and will just buy it and trust in the company.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 11:13:24 AM »
So I have been reading about Combat Companion and have some questions.  
Does this replace the Arms Law/Spell Law tables?  

Only in the specific circumstance of you using the new Armor By The Piece (ABtP) system. If you are using that, THEN you will need to use the new combat tables.

Is this compatible with all versions of RM?  We typically play RMSS hopefully that works.  

The majority of the book is fully compatible with all versions of RM. The only thing not compatible with RMSS/FRP is the 3 new professions, which are RMC only (the plan being to release RMFRP versions in a later RMFRP product).

What does it add other then some new charts.  I noticed it said the armor is completly different, how?

ABtP Rules -- In the normal Rolemaster, each AT given is a specific suit of armor, including such things as greaves and bracers. In the CC rules for ABtP, there are 10 Armor Ratings - which represent the combination of the material used and the construction method (i.e. plates & leather vs plates & chain vs chain vs hard leather vs soft leather, etc..).

The AR is assigned to the piece of armor that covers the chest/abdomen/groin areas. Other pieces of armor add to the total DB of the character. This makes a full suit of plate armor be AR 10 and have a base DB of 30 (IIRC). To this, you add your quickness bonus (adjusted by the maneuver penalty) and any other factors.

This system allows for you mix and match armor of various types and construction to create your own unique suit.

Because the AbtP system makes such radical changes to the Armor rules, we have included new combat tables. The tables are part of a condensed combat system (if enough people like, we may do a full book just for the tables), and the tables are set up according to the basic way that a weapon is used (i.e. short bladed weapons versus long bladed weapons, bows on one table, crossbows on another, etc...)

Armor Creation Rules - Special materials will increase the DB of a given piece of armor, and so can quality and so can other factors.

Combat Styles -- rules for creating combat styles -- if used, they would replace the existing weapon and special attack skills (or at least the majority of them). EA #8 gives a new option that allows the learning of Specific Manuevers in a manner that does not change the DP cost of the skills.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
I own it now and love it!  Thanks for all of the help.

Offline Emaughan

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
I own it now and love it!  Thanks for all of the help.

That's my thought on the product.  I hope all goes well with ICE and I see the company make a slow but steady comeback from the evil TE episode where they lost the liscense to ME products.  The new company is doing a good job thus far and seems to come out of the post bankrupcy hole. 

I just recently got back into gaming and it is a shock to the people I game with how much better this system is compared to D&D.  Even though each has allready lost a PC due to "D&D Brain", they took it well and were excited to start new characters now that they had a feel for the system.  I do hope ICE continues with the RMC line and products like combat companion (like spell companion - maybe).  Even better Crit Cards (I've been cheerleading for that idea for quite awhile).

For now, I am glad to spend money on ICE products to support the company, but they need more new products.