Author Topic: Magic Tradition vs. Focus Style  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Karak_Nor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Magic Tradition vs. Focus Style
« on: July 22, 2008, 04:34:34 PM »
Hi  :), I've just been reading the Bazaar Annual and have re-read the Casting Traditions introduced there.  My small brain seems to be confused, so can I have some of your opinions please?

1. Do the classic (from HARP Rulebook) spell casting characters have traditions?  If so, what are they?

2. Are the casting traditions in BA to be treated like Focus Styles?  If not, how do they blend in with the undefined casting traditions of HARPRB?

3. Do the casting traditions still require Focus Styles or are the Focus Styles a two part recipie to creating traditions?

It seems to me that a Mage/Cleric wiggles their fingers and mumbles a few words then "bamf!" there's a fire bolt/drain life.  The new tradition seem to do the same, however they get perks if they have stuff.  What stops a player (apart from a GM) from just always choosing to have an alternate casting tradition (and the weakness of having to have "stuff" to cast spells) instead of a tradition from HARPRB?

i.e. My whole post is "How do Focus Styles, BA casting traditions and HARPRB mix together in a sensible, non-munchkin manner?"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Magic Tradition vs. Focus Style
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 06:27:04 AM »
Casting Traditions and Focaus styles are different options that can be applied.

The core rulebook doesn't really contain either.

And both are indepenant of the other as well.