Author Topic: Whats the difference?  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Gore

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Whats the difference?
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:48:25 AM »
Hi, whats the difference between RMSS and FRP? Is is possible to use both when running a campaign?

Many thanks

Gore
If you kill a man you're a murderer, kill many you're a conquerer, kill them all you're a god! - Megadeth

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 09:51:28 AM »
Very little diference.  Nost are cosmetic, as RMFRP is just a repackaging of RMSS.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
Hi, whats the difference between RMSS and FRP? Is is possible to use both when running a campaign?

Many thanks

Gore

Here: http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item57
you'll find an article on the differences between RMFRP and RMSS. As Lynn said there's almost no difference between the two system and it's perfectly possible to use books from both together.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
Gore,
 Welcome to the forums.

I think the above link gives you good info. Also IMO the major thing is repackaging and maybe how you intend the buy the product. I like the RMSS versions as you get most if all the info in one book. Example In RMFRP they split some professions off from the main book and placed them into the spell book, in which they also split the spell book into 3 sections.
 I also tend to like the PDF's as you can print the pages you want for your players to use but it can be harder for people to thumb through sections to see what there is.

Another point is in the Arms Law, in which the later version allows you to pick your crit type and adjust your OB accordingly. I like to older fixed crit type depending on your roll.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Gore

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 01:55:10 PM »
Pick your crit type!!!! My players will be trying to convince me that their broadswords should do plasma crits!

Gore :D
If you kill a man you're a murderer, kill many you're a conquerer, kill them all you're a god! - Megadeth

Offline highpriest_rsw2

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Electric six homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:07:08 PM »
The difference?
Try learning to make poisons in RMSS!
It'll make you cry!  :'(
 ;D

RMSS skills section is (IMHO) blown way out of proportion. There are so many prerequisites for useful skills that it's neigh impossible to master doing certain things sometimes. I prefer the way skills are handled (and how short the list is) in HARP. Sometimes it's all I can handle.
Calling unprotected girls Infected girls do it better

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »
There are so many prerequisites for useful skills that it's neigh impossible to master doing certain things sometimes.

Just cut down skills you don't like.  ;)
I prefer having a lot of skills and having to choose which of them to use than having too few of them and them having to make them up if need arise.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:30 PM »
The difference?
Try learning to make poisons in RMSS!
It'll make you cry!  :'(
 ;D

RMSS skills section is (IMHO) blown way out of proportion. There are so many prerequisites for useful skills that it's neigh impossible to master doing certain things sometimes. I prefer the way skills are handled (and how short the list is) in HARP. Sometimes it's all I can handle.

But wouldn't that be a difference between RMSS/FRP and HARP rather than a difference between RMSS and RMFRP?  I mean, I know that FRP has fewer skills than RMSS in its "core," but those skills missing from FRP are theoretically available via supplements (School of Hard Knocks?).  Plus the concepts of development (i.e. prerequisites) are still the same between the two so FRP doesn't exactly make it easier to learn various skills than in RMSS.

In other words, I think discussion about the excess of skills in RMSS is rather moot to this thread (even though I would tend to agree with you) as they are, in essence, the same as in RMFRP unless you strictly prohibit the skills from various expansions and only allow skills listed in the core book.
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »

Many thanks

Gore

This is to answer your Q about using both in a game. IMO you can but there might be some small differences in the rules. I do not know of any right off the top of my head but I think there might be some small changes in a profession DP costs. Also some of the skill descriptions might have changed a little or have been cleaned up in terms of power. I do feel comfertable to saying that I believe almost 98% or a higher % is the same in both rule sets.
 I use the RMFRP suppliments in my RMSS game and I know a friend uses the RMSS supliments in his mainly RMFRP game. He went RMFRP because thats what he could find in physical form, so he calls his game a RMFRP game. Also though you can do a search at any large book seller and they may have some physical copies of RMSS rules or ask at your game store and see if they can get it for you.

Did that help?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline ob1knorrb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +150/-150
    • ICE Roleplaying WebRing
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
The biggest difference is that talents got an overhaul between RMSS and RMFRP
Brent Knorr...
Ringmaster:ICE Roleplaying Webring - http://www.icewebring.com

Offline Gore

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »
Thanks for all the help its been good.

Gore