Author Topic: Someone please explain overcasting to me...  (Read 2302 times)

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Someone please explain overcasting to me...
« on: July 15, 2008, 08:25:36 AM »
The first I ever heard of overcasting was when I started lurking around this forum.  I understand that there is no formal rule for it, but it is based on information inferred from the spell casting maneuver chart.

Can someone please explain what that inference is?  I'm just not seeing it.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Someone please explain overcasting to me...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 08:33:00 AM »
AFAIK "overcasting" simply mean casting a spell with a level higher than your (casting a level 6 Firebolt is overcasting if you're level 1).
In RMFRP/SS this is done by preparing the spell for a high number of rounds and/or hoping for a good roll.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Tolen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 09:21:10 PM »
Okay...I guess.  But I still don't see the big deal about it then.  After all, in RMFRP the rules don't say you have to be fifth level to cast a fifth level spell.  All that is required is sufficient power points and skill ranks in that list.
I'm in Southern Illinois.
No, further than that...
Try South of Mt. Vernon, where Southern Illinois really begins.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »
In the original RM2 core rules, you cannot cast a spell above your own level, even though you learned lists in blocks (with MOST of the spells on the block being above your level). The ESF options allowed for overcasting (i.e. casting above your level) at large minuses (actual minus depending on how much overcasting you were doing -- i.e. how far above your level the spell was). But it was an option. In RMSS/FRP, this option was made part of the core rules (but the terminology carried over).

Also, something that has been glossed over so far, when you overcast (cast a spell over your level), if you fumble/fail in casting it, then you add 3x the overcasting mod to your spell failure roll  (extra deadly).

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 12:55:17 AM »
Okay...I guess.  But I still don't see the big deal about it then.  After all, in RMFRP the rules don't say you have to be fifth level to cast a fifth level spell.  All that is required is sufficient power points and skill ranks in that list.

The Spell Casting Modifications Table has some severe penalties listed for spells that are higher than the caster's level. In case of a failure of the Static Spell Casting Maneuver the sum of the negative modifiers is added to the spell fumble roll (also see the Rolemaster Rulings page). And in case of Absolute Failure or Blunder results this sum of the negative modifiers is even doubled or tripled before the roll. This can be extremely dangerous in case of the high modifiers for "overcasting" because high spell fumbles in the 200+ range are likely to kill or severely damage the caster. To me that's the "big deal" about overcasting in RMSS/RMFRP.