Author Topic: Standard DP amount  (Read 2683 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Standard DP amount
« on: July 13, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
High everyone!
I think this may have been discussed before, but I am notoriously lazy...
Would it be ok to use a set amount of DP's per level instead of basing them off of stats?
Some do so in HARP and it seems to work rather well.

What would be the suggested amount to award per level?
Have any of you tried this? and what issues, if any, did it cause?

Thanks guys!
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Standard DP amount
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:51:27 AM »
RMC or RMFRP?

And yes, using a static amount wouldn't be bad. It is essentially what we did in RMX.

For RMC, I would suggest using 35 DPs with just the core skills, plus 1 DP for every 2 secondary skills, up to a maximum of 50 DP per level.

For RMFRP, I would likely recommend 75 or 80 DPs per level. (If using the same set of stats that is used in RMX, it would actually come out to be 78 DPs per level).

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 02:52:50 PM »
It is RMFRP...
So use 75 to 80 DP's per level?

And thanks Rasyr!

Also, would playing without snap and deliberate actions be ok?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:08:42 PM by Right Wing Wacko »
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:03:55 AM »

You need to decide the rules for haste spells and adrenal speed if not using snap and deliberate.

I am pretty sure the alteranatives will be more bulky. Snap, normal and deliberatly are a very effective way to simplify the Ceats II system so that it runs without bookkeeping.

Of course maybe your players will trust you to free form all combat phase stuff and that will most certainly run even faster than the snap, normalt and deliberate system, not what I would prefer.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:09:03 AM by pastaav »
/Pa Staav

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 04:04:40 AM »
Would it be ok to use a set amount of DP's per level instead of basing them off of stats?

There is a problem about that, in RMFRP we have clearly bonus-stats and DP-stats, see that stats not used in DP calculation clearly give us bonus in many more skills, so I call them bonus-stats. For example, QU is very usefull, but it doens't give us DPs.

I would say that for usually-main skills the bonus-stats are used, and the DP-stats are used generally in more 'secundary' skills.

So, when you create a character you must decide what you want, more direct bonus or more DPs, this makes more interesting the character creation process, and you can have more diferent ones.

We don't use them, as time is contiguous we don't see those concepts, for example, many times the BEST moment to act is early (imagine your rival slips at the begin of round, why to wait until deliberate phase?, at that time aid can come!). So we use them in a diferent manner:

Simply split the round in 3 phases, but with no bonus/penalty, for 20%, 80% and above of activity used (the same than original ones). But use it simply for initiative resolution, so 1st you resolve all actions within 20% of activity ordered by initiative, and the same for the other 2.

For example: we have 2 characters, 1st has a total (roll included) initiative of 9 and has the weapon out, 2nd has initiative of 15 but its weapon is not out, as draw the weapon takes 20-30% activity (I don't remember well), in any case 1st attack first as 2nd does its attack in normal phase (or second phase).

This simplyfies much the round declaration as players only need to declare their actions, not 'in phase...', and then the round itself decides when to do the action.

Examples, player declares:

- (it has the weapon ready) 'I move to the target and attack', and depending on % used to move (try to run) you attack in 1st or 2nd phase (3rd phase is not possible as you need 60% activity to attack).  See that if enemy wait for it, it attack in the same phase as time used is the same (so wait trick is not valid).
- 'I cast X spell and move' it is not the same than 'I move and cast X spell', with 1st declaration you cast the spell in 1st phase and then you can move, with 2nd if you move more than 19% you cast the spell in 2nd phase. See that we don't use the dealy spell casting rule in RMFRP for not instant spells, we use like in HARP where spells are as any other action.
The diference is that for instantaneous spells we don't require to be declared, they can be used just-in-time (cancelling other actions if necessary) and are ALWAYS affective before, if not QU and initiative are more important than the instant itself, imagine a 'turn missile' spell and you have less initiative than the archer that shoots to you.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 05:39:58 AM »
Fixed DPs can work (though I would never use them). I would also consider the number of skills used in your game: if you use a limited range of skills (again, something I would not do), maybe a lower number of DPs per level would be appropriate.

As far as the combat round is concerned, I have always found the 10 second round problematic (so any improvement that makes sense to you is a good idea - the golden rule is consistency so everyone knows where they stand).

:flame:

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:36:57 AM »
High everyone!
I think this may have been discussed before, but I am notoriously lazy...
Some do so in HARP and it seems to work rather well.

What would be the suggested amount to award per level?
Have any of you tried this? and what issues, if any, did it cause?

I give a fixed amount of 100DPs per level in RMFRP. Works fine IMHO, lets characters buy a good number of "background" skills.

Yes, the only problem would be handling multiple actions in a round but I think is not a great problem.
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:59:21 PM »
Wow!
Thanks for the input guys!
www.strategypage.com

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:07:25 PM »
If you want to keep snap and deliberate actions but lose the phases, then mod all snap actions initiative by +10 and deliberate actions initiative by -10.  Some may prefer +/- 5.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 03:09:12 AM »
If you want to keep snap and deliberate actions but lose the phases, then mod all snap actions initiative by +10 and deliberate actions initiative by -10.  Some may prefer +/- 5.

lynn

Oh, yes, that's a good way of doing it. I used to handle snap/deliberate actions that way when I started playing RM, to make combat more simple. Good suggestion lynn!
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline vroomfogle

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »
Dark Schneider, your 3 phase round is amazingly similar to the 2-phase system (short and long actions) into RMC...the only apparent difference from reading your description is that you have 3 rather then 2 phases and your cutoff points.   RMC cuts the phases at 50% (with an option for having 4 phases in 25% increments).

Did you get your idea from RMC or come up with it independently?