Author Topic: Spell Casting  (Read 2412 times)

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spell Casting
« on: July 13, 2008, 06:58:16 AM »
Would this break anything?

Instead of spelllist development being limited, its combined. That way the system uses the same roll of 111 a success instead of magic using a roll of 61 as success. Plus the modifiers for spellcasting (Table T-4.6) seems more "balanced", they seem a bit high IMO when used with a limited skill.

So spelllists become combined, and instead of just adding Realm stat once, you add Realm stat+SD+Me (or Realm twice instead of Me).
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell Casting
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 07:16:27 AM »
It would make spell attacks much more powerful. Remember, non-elemental attacks get rolled on the Base Spell Attack table, and it was designed to be used with the bonuses the way that they are. By changing the bonus per rank, you are essentially giving spell users a lot more power, as their rolls will now by that much higher, and thus their spells that much harder to resist.

Offline Fenrhyl Wulfson

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:27:03 AM »
Rolemaster would become Spellmaster :p

Offline pastaav

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Swedish gaming club
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 01:54:43 PM »
Instead of spelllist development being limited, its combined. That way the system uses the same roll of 111 a success instead of magic using a roll of 61 as success. Plus the modifiers for spellcasting (Table T-4.6) seems more "balanced", they seem a bit high IMO when used with a limited skill.

So spelllists become combined, and instead of just adding Realm stat once, you add Realm stat+SD+Me (or Realm twice instead of Me).

I think it is really problematic since three ranks is allowed to be developed in spell lists. This would make it quite easy to rely on skill bonus alone since it raises so fast. To counter this you would need to rescale the overcasting maneuver penalties and so on.

If you consider to add it anyway I would seriously recommend that you calculate the success chance for a few cases in both systems to get a feel for what the change mean in practice.
/Pa Staav

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 12:07:51 AM »
Any idea why its different? In RMSS you add 50 to the roll after calculating all the modifiers, and then have to make 111 for a success. In RMFRP its 61 so we removed the bonus but lowered the target number.

How was it for RM2/RMC?

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:47:17 AM »
I think the Base Spell Attack is modified by Spell Ranks (as opposed to the total skill in the list) so 5 ranks gives a + 5 (rather than +15, or +25 in the case of combined progression).

The Static Casting Table uses the total skill bonus + 50.

I haven't run the numbers, but I don't think the change will make much of a difference (static casting would probably be harder at lower levels and easier at higher levels)
:flame:

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 05:58:56 AM »
How was it for RM2/RMC?

Core RMC Rules

Caster (Pures & Hybrids only) get +1 per level -- no stats, no bonuses from skill ranks.

Non-Attack Spells -- 01-02 if failure/fumble for non-attack spells, everything else succeeds

Base Attack Spells -- 01-05 is auto failure, but you would go by the Base Spell Attack Table and some columns have higher failure ranges.

Elemental Attack Spells -- The casting roll is combined with the attack roll. 01-05 is failure/fumble and anything above that is successful casting, even though you can still miss the target.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
What about semis (paladin, ranger, etc)?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 01:19:08 PM »
What about semis (paladin, ranger, etc)?

In the core RMC rules, they do not receive any bonuses to spell casting.