Author Topic: Killer kobolds  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Otto von Grunwald

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Killer kobolds
« on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:33 PM »
I'm pretty new to RMSS and was curious about making the existing monsters in the C&T more powerful (ie. a Kobold chief of 5th level).  I see how that would affect their hits and exp value, but can't seem to see how their other stats change: namely OB. AT(DB) will still be based on its armor and QU bonus I suppose so is not very level dependant.

Anyway, sorry if this has all been answered to death already.

Thanks! :)

-Otto von G.
Happiness isn't having what you want; it is wanting what you have.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Killer kobolds
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »
 On page 7 of RMSS Creatures and Treasures it has the info you need about level and page 9 about hits. After that you use a little GMing and give them +5OB per level or more depending on what profession you think they are or use the layman profession as a guide. I think I would leave the AT alone unless you wanted to have them wear better armor and their Qu stat may go up by 1 so add +3 ro DB. IMO this can be difficult for new GMs so I would not beat yourself up about it.

The other option I use if I determine the creature is humanoidish is just base the creatures other stats and skills off the chart in RMSS that gives skills for varous levels of a profession. So If I think he is a 5th level fighter I look at the chart and see what it says, if 7th level I take the 10th level minus the 5th level and multiply by 2/5 to get the bonus. The 2 comes from 2 levels above 5th and the 5 comes from 10th-5th level. To basicly mean he is 2/5ths the way to 10th level.

The last option I use is one in which I simply make a decision on what I think thier varous stats and abilities should be based on how much better than thier standard race they are. This method gets easier over time as you have more experience on what a monsters your party will and will not have trouble with. It also has the effect of the players not really knowing the stats for the monsters and often gets the responce "But last time they only had an OB of around 40. Where did the 65 come from?" Basicly all mosters are not the same and some are very different from one another. To keep it easy for a GM though quite often you just have 1 stat line for a group of monsters but you allways can mix thing up with better weapons, armor, magic items or spells. And remember the golden rule of GMing if you do not like a rule or think a rule would work better for your game change it but try an be aware of the things your rule will affect.

Hope that helps.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 10:21:23 AM »
Thanks!  I also found pg.92 in my C&T from RM2(? 1985)  that gave me some guidlines as well.

I've never actually played RM eventhough I've had all the books since the mid 80s and recently purchased the RMSS stuff.  Unfortunately, all my regular players scowl at its seemingly intense numbercrunching and array of tables.  I'll have to ease them into it slowly, but I need to get it pretty well down first so as to not reinforce their preconceptions...

Player: I try to climb the cave wall when Molgar the orc charges me.

Me: ok...um...let's see....(flipping pages)...hang on a sec...Here's the table...oh, no wait a min...

All players: *collective groan*

-Otto

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Even in the face of Armageddon......
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »
beware..... I had a rather hardy fighter killed by a basic kobald, as this isn't your average D&D style system..... ;)

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline Elton Robb

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Master of Atlantis
    • The Atlantis Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 10:30:35 AM »
Never was.  Rolemaster is designed for those who want realism. :)

Personal Web Portfolio:
http://eltonatlantean.wix.com/portfolio
Deviant Art: http://atlantean6.deviantart.com/
Renderosity: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=561541

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:34:10 AM »
that is what makes it so very good... yet it isn't so real as to be a sim, which can be a little boring ;)

You can Vote for rpgRM here: http://www.rpggateway.com/cgi-bin/wyrm/rate.cgi?ID=11535
"White space is to be regarded as an active element, not a passive background" ...Jan Tschichold

Offline ictus

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • RealRoleplaying
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 10:40:37 AM »
Anyway, sorry if this has all been answered to death already.

Never worry about asking, as getting into these conversations re sparks our interests for us as well, so ask away, as it is true that the only silly questions are the ones you don't ask...

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Thanks!  I also found pg.92 in my C&T from RM2(? 1985)  that gave me some guidlines as well.

I've never actually played RM eventhough I've had all the books since the mid 80s and recently purchased the RMSS stuff.  Unfortunately, all my regular players scowl at its seemingly intense numbercrunching and array of tables.  I'll have to ease them into it slowly, but I need to get it pretty well down first so as to not reinforce their preconceptions...

Player: I try to climb the cave wall when Molgar the orc charges me.

Me: ok...um...let's see....(flipping pages)...hang on a sec...Here's the table...oh, no wait a min...

All players: *collective groan*

-Otto

Remember that the tables are there to help you, not to hinder you. If a table is not helping you in speeding up play, don't use it and just improvise is you don't recall the right rule.
And at the beginning keep it as simple as possible! (RM Quarterly 7 has some cool advice on how to simplify/speed up combat).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 11:00:34 AM »

(RM Quarterly 7 has some cool advice on how to simplify/speed up combat).

Cool.  I'll have to check that out.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 02:16:04 PM »
 1)You can also just remember that a 111+ is a complets success and 75-110 is a partial sucess and not look at the skill charts in the book. That is one of the first things that I did to speed up game play. In fact I just use the gneric skill maneuver chart for everything.
 2) Another is photocopying charts for players. Which has become much easier since PDF's have come along.
 3) Get the charts for each player that only they need, spell lists, weapon tables, OB/DB sheet etc.

I think thoes are the main points but just like it was said above try and not let the charts slow you down.
Have Fun
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
I meant to add a little while back that I remember playing a scenario that involved kobalds who used blow guns - I'm pretty sure that in at least one edition of Arms Law that blow guns are listed as doing impact criticals. A blow gun fired at point blank range doing impact criticals is very deadly (I dubbed them 'mouth cannons'), so with those bad babies there is no need for beefing kobalds up.

We did agree that blow guns should not result in impact criticals - only changed by the GM once we defeated the kobalds and started developing 'mouth cannon' skill (but that is another story, though possibly appropriate as GMs need to be careful what items they give NPCs in case the PCs get them).

On the topic of charts and tables, there is a topic called "what do your players do", or something like that, in which a few people (including myself) have listed some of the tasks that can be farmed out to the players.
:flame:

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 04:07:13 PM »
Langthorne,
 Your mounth cannon tale IMO shows that no matter how much the designers try and keep a game balanced there are almost allways going to be a few things that sneek through and need to be relooked at.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Langthorne

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Interrogator: "Do you know who we are?!"
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:25:43 PM »
and with a system as wide ranging and varied as Rolemaster it is very difficult to play test everything to the point of breaking. All in all, and mouth canons notwithstanding, it is generally very well edited, balanced and play tested.
:flame: