Author Topic: New Talent: Time Sense?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
New Talent: Time Sense?
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know if there is a Talent Time Sense? - keep accurate time down to the last second.

The reason I am asking is because I like the idea of a mage not being able to know exactly how long his spells last. (ie Fly at 5 rounds/rank with 22 ranks lasting 110 rounds total). Getting the Talent (or starting with it) would allow him to do that.

The argument against this of course, if that a Mage who spends years of his life in a cloistered environment casting and recasting spells to get their subtle nuances down perfectly should now to a good degree how long his spells last almost without thinking... Thus they would know about when their spell is due to run out...

But when a mage has 20 ranks in a spell and the duration is 5 rounds/rank and he decides to cast only 13 PP's (65 rounds = 130 seconds) will he know exactly how long this is? What about when he scales the spell to 10 rounds per rank?How many times has he cast this exact combination of PP in this spell to know how long this is? The Base spell I would agree, yes he knows how long the spell lasts at base cost with base time but otherwsie I would say no. (Mage would know that Boost Quickness (3) at 2 rounds/rank lasts 12 seconds but not how long if he scales the spell).

What other arguments have people used in game to try to introduce the element of chance and randomness into mage spell times?
And would the Time Sense Talent for Magic using characters make sense? What cost would you put it at? 10 DP's? 15 DP'S? Is there a HARP equivalent of this RM talent?

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: New Talent: Time Sense?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »
I would apply a sense of knowing that the magic is beginning to wane and give him 2-3 rounds notice before it expires - if I wanted to be devious use a d6 or d10 to determine how many rounds advance notice he gets so it is not always the same.

Another option would be Sense Magic with no modifier to identify when the power is beginning to wane (within 5 rounds of running out).  This forces him to redirect his concentration every few rounds to review the power level (similar to glancing at your speedometer while driving - it forces you to take your eyes off of the road momentarily - not a problem at 30mph, but try it 120 and you could end up splat!)
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Pat

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: New Talent: Time Sense?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
How about creating a cantrip Time Awareness or Alarm so that spell users can "tune in" their spells?

This way it would be a reasonably cheap alternative to Talents and, just for fun, wait for a fumble on the spell cast so that the spell user mis-judges time. "I can fly"......splat!!!!