Author Topic: Out of Play EPs  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Forkbeard

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Out of Play EPs
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:15:39 AM »
Is there a definitive ruling on Out of Play Experience Points? If so can you point me in the right direction.

I think OoPEPs was mentioned in an RM Companion for RM2, but I'd like an RMSS equivalent if such a thing exists.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Out of Play EPs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 10:38:12 AM »
I do not in general allow level raises from out of play time, but I do allow assces to skill training and the like.

There is a training table found in RMSS that shows the amount of time training required to achieve ranks, and the table is stepped so higher ranks take more time.  I sit down and figure out how much time the PC has to train and what teachers and all that other stuff, then compute what ranks are gained.  Since the release of Essence Companion, now available at the Guild Companion as a pdf, I use the teaching skills and table in that book.  Poor teaching rolls can significantly increase the time needed to learn (as can lack of resources) or even deny the ability to learn (meaning time was wasted and no new ranks are gained).

This is a time consuming and rather tedious process...unless you're an uber geek or just groove to minutia, but it works and provides a fair representation of learning.

How many ranks can be learned in a single skill will be limited by teachers knowledge, quality of materials and GM fiat.

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:13:50 PM »
Does that allow for extra ranks per level?  Or are you simply spending the DP's for the next earned level early?

Could expert training get a level one (out of play) PC up to 20 ranks of weapon skill?  Or is the PC limited to the normal 2 ranks per level?
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 12:34:12 PM »
That would depend on the GM.  This is a house rule after all.

In my games, this most comes up when the party is spending a lot of down time, like six months or 5 years.  The table requires most time per rank the higher the rank learned, and the GM is allowed to modify the definition of "days training" per the tables listed guidelines.

That said, I do not use level limits when figuring training time.  My method often increases the time required to learn because I make teaching rolls for each rank learned, and we roll until 100% is achieved, with each roll representing one "training period."

So if it take 64 hours to learn a rank, and the first teaching roll generates a 70%, meaning the PC spends 64 hours (8 days with 8 hrs of training a day, 16 days with 4 hrs of training a day) and is 70% done.  Another roll will be required (another 64 hours) to reach 100%.  I am not nice and reduce the training time, but demand the entire 64 hours.  Sometimes we learn easy, sometimes not.

Now we roll for the next rank.

Another limit is available teacher.  If your warrior has 17 ranks in Axe, he can only use a teacher with 18 or more ranks in axe (which might not be easy to find).  Without a teacher, the player will suffer the "no teacher" penalty, which is -50 (or higher).  It could take a long time to self teach such expertise.

As an option, you can rule one day training equals three development points.  This tends to greatly increase training time, but retains the flavor of the professions skill cost while providing greater flexibilty (though as GM you should declare what skils can be increaded).  For training, skills whould be bought at their progressive dev cost, i.e. a 1/5 weapon cost 1 dev, then five dev, then 1 dev, then 5 dev, etc.

yamma
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 06:38:37 PM »
In our games every person has a player. We switch GM's so we made a House Rule that the GM automatically gets the XP that is possible to be earned by the party (Note: Not the total XP available in the entire adventure/campaign).
So this stops the GM from being penalised for running a great game that he couldnt put his character through, and also encourages other players to have a turn at GM'ing so they too can get some extra XP.

It works for us and we dont get bored...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »
In my past RMSS/SM:P game we had 2 GM's and did about the same thing. But the GM's PC was a NPC that the GM or another player controlled.

MDC

Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.