Author Topic: Extra Base Lists  (Read 6121 times)

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Re: Extra Base Lists
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:51 AM »
I think the problem is not the influence, is that the demon doesn't now the answer, what you propose it is good to reduce the chance of failure and receive damage (the fixed % of failure).

About bards, maybe a solution could be allow to cast more times the identify spell, usually it is allowed only once until lvl up, you could allow it twice or more until lvl up instead modifing the spells, this gives you the same % of success you want to achieve (20 = 2x10) but it is harder to have an 'on-time identification', so if you find a treasure maybe bard doesn't want to waste more PPs at that moment. In addition, we have another professions with identify spells (alchemist) so it should be changed too, much work  ;D

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 04:22:33 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks that Arcane Evil spell lists (save for Dark Entities) are ridiculous compared to other Arcane lists?
Power Leech: Lol, so you can drain x PPs each round from me, and you only have to concentrate to do it (and spend your own PPs)! Cool, well I think I'll just throw you a couple of voidbolt in the face while you're so busy stealing my PPs...  ::)
Power Subversion: ok, the power of this list is probably very setting-based, but who's going to spend DPs to learn a lists that almost only gives corruption points to other people?
Terror: a whole base list to scare people? Thanks, I think that those manaballs will be more than enough to scare away peasants...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2008, 02:06:37 PM »
Power Subversion: ok, the power of this list is probably very setting-based, but who's going to spend DPs to learn a lists that almost only gives corruption points to other people?

Keep in mind for that one, that iirc, someone with enough Corruption points can freely be controlled by someone evil who is more powerful, and will blindly obey, or something like that.  Given the Arcane guy has learned an evil spell list, he'll probably be racking up Corruption point himself.  So if he's going to end up potentially being controlled by someone, he might as well make his own minions by distributing Corruption points.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2008, 03:03:15 AM »
someone with enough Corruption points can freely be controlled by someone evil who is more powerful, and will blindly obey, or something like that.

I don't use any of those rules at all, IMO are stupid and has no sense, if I am evil (with corruption points), why I should obey another evil one?. My character has some corruption points, but its goal is has power by itself, not obey another one...

Ohter clear example is that you obtain corruption points for fumble spells...WHAT?  ???, so if you fumble spells you obtain CPs but if you kill all children in a nursery with a sword not... ???
We apply CPs for actions itselves, not how do you make the action, if you do an evil action you gain CPs, and that's all. See CPs as an evilmeter  ;).

Really, all those rules that appeared 1st time in MERP supplement are...you know what I think.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2008, 04:28:07 AM »
Keep in mind for that one, that iirc, someone with enough Corruption points can freely be controlled by someone evil who is more powerful, and will blindly obey, or something like that.  Given the Arcane guy has learned an evil spell list, he'll probably be racking up Corruption point himself.  So if he's going to end up potentially being controlled by someone, he might as well make his own minions by distributing Corruption points.

That's why I said that the list is setting-dependent. The problem is that those rules on CP are optional and make little sense in many settings (probably in any setting save for ME...).
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »
 I think what they might be trying to do is show that magic is a force that has an effect on the caster. And if the "magic" is not used correctly then it changes the caster.

I agree this is very setting dependant.

MDC   
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.