Author Topic: Talent Law?  (Read 10404 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Talent Law?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2008, 05:19:49 AM »
Arioch,
 It is and was a long work, and it tended to change with every game as I found some talents that I had priced wrong in TP and had to adjust them up or down. I also had to do some major modifications to many of the talents. But I can say that in the long run it worked out for the best in my game. I do have to say that in general my cmapaigns are based on the saying "Average people experiencing exterordany events become extra-ordany.". Some players like it and othes do not so allways ask your players what they want with the reminder that extra-ordanary enemies have access to the "Talents" as well as other things.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2008, 06:16:54 AM »
A list with the names of all talents will be of great help... anyone knows if it can be found anywhere?
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Nejira

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2008, 09:28:43 AM »
Not as an full resource. But in Character Law (Oblivious) and I found some shattered about in the Companion books.
"I'd Rather Be a Rising Ape Than a Fallen Angel"

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2008, 12:41:05 AM »
Arioch, 
 I do not think there is a list of all talents out there. If there was ICE might snap it up as giving away too much info. I do not know and I am speaking as a poster not a volenteer moderator. You might send an email to one of the guys at ICE and ask but as I said above I do not think they would let you post something like that.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2008, 02:36:56 AM »
Well, there are not so many of them, after all... I'll just write them down  ;)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2008, 04:06:27 AM »
 I think my list came up to be 30-50 entries with some having 1-5 power options. For example skilled +1-10=x, skilled +15=y, skilled +20=z and some on. So there are a few headings but I had many entires.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
Personally I really like flaws, however they need to be character driven, rather then point driven.  If it's logical for a character to have a flaw, given his upbringing/training/heritage, then he should have it, whether or not it is used actively in a campaign.  While this might give a PC a comparative advantage over another PC's who's flaws are actively hindering him, it does make sense in the bigger picture.  PC's don't just live in the vacuum of the adventures the GM runs, they grow up, and if they survive the adventure, they live after it... there should be times in a PC's life (whether or not the PC is actually player controlled at the time) that flaws hinder him.
A Dwarf might, having been in mountains and underground his whole life, have a severe aversion to the sea... Now even if the GM's adventure get's no where in near the sea, so long as the PC has a chance to go to the ocean (and be sacred of it) during his lifetime, it's worth points.  If there are no seas, or dwarfs would have to take over rival nations to even get access to them, then it's not worth anything.  Much like if a fighter has no realistic way of getting access to spells he shouldn't get spell flaws, but if he's in a high magic world, and he needs to only spend DP's, then it's okay for him to take a spell flaw or two.  (Some level 1 and 2 mentalism spells can be really effective)
Flaws shouldn't be tailored to the GM's adventures, they should be tailored to the entire world.
However GM's SHOULD try to tailor their adventures to play up flaws occasionally.  If a fighter's 'not-subtle' make it so the group needs to sneak past big enemies occasionally.  If a fighter is missing an eye (no depth perception) create a combat situation where then enemy can ONLY be attacked at range... You don't want to beat PC's over their heads with their flaws, but remind them they're there, and give the PC's motivations (assuming you even allow it) to use XP to buy off flaws they're getting irritated with.

Short Film: The Gamers- "Aren't you forgetting something??"  "What?"  "Your character's paralyzing fear of water perhaps??" "Oh yeah;  AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

One way to offset a PC who's got a lot of flaws that aren't getting action in the current adventure is to give him new flaws through the story.  Make the PC hunted, poke out an eye in combat (assuming it can't be easily healed), have the enemy curse him with a flaw that can only be cleared at the NPC's death, give him a rival NPC, or talk a PC into starting a rivaly with the PC (provided it doesn't muck up party teamwork)

---------------------------------------

The biggest problem is that players usually grab talents first, then get flaws to pay for the talents.  This creates a situation where flaws are point driven, not character driven.  In some cases (especially with inexperienced players, or ones that tend to be powergamers) it might be better to present them with a list of flaws with no point values, and let them pick through them, finding things appropriate to their character vision... then let them know how many points they have to spend on talents.

Yet another line (this one more random) from the wonderful film The Gamers: "That's 15 Piety points per level... that's like 90 Points!!!  booyaeh!"  "Yeah, that will totally make up for that orphanage we burned down.."
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2008, 12:39:24 PM »
Short Film: The Gamers- "Aren't you forgetting something??"  "What?"  "Your character's paralyzing fear of water perhaps??" "Oh yeah;  AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lol! Loved that movie!  ;D