Author Topic: HARP LYCANTHROPE QUESTIONS  (Read 2922 times)

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
HARP LYCANTHROPE QUESTIONS
« on: May 09, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »
1 - Does the Were-beast have the regeneration, enhanced senses and other such talents in pure beast form, in beast and hybrid form, or all the time (e.g. while in human form)?

2 - If my base person was a Harper(3), Fighter (2) - then would the Lycantrhope attack as a level 8 fighter (meaning 27 ranks in OB for an OB of 77)?  And would they get this OB in both beast form or would they get it in hybrid form as well?

3- Max endurance and stalk & hide, and ambush in beast form or hybrid form?

4 -Tough Hide Minor - which forms does this bonus apply to (beast, hybrid, human)?

5 - Does a Lycanthrope in beast form still have the ability to cast spells?  How about in hybrid form?  (Assume the person form CAN cast spells (e.g. the Harper (3) above)?

If there is a turd in the punch bowl, adding more punch isn't going to help.

http://home.comcast.net/~kerrydrake/HARP

Offline Mattiyaho

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: HARP LYCANTHROPE QUESTIONS
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 02:59:21 PM »
1. I would say that the were-beast only gets the special abilities in the hybrid and beast form.

2. I would use the combined level of the character i.e. the harper(3)
fighter(2) would be treated as a fith level character. Ob counts in hybrid form as well.

3.and 4. In beast and hybrid but not human.

5. If the character has the ability to cast spells in human form they can cast spells in hybrid form but they must have the shapeshifting skill intoduced in Monsters a field guide and make a hard skill roll when they shift to be able to cast spells and it would be impossable to cast spells in pure beast form.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 04:18:33 PM »
The Lycanthropes in the Monster book are examples. The hybrid/beast forms of a lycanthrope are of the same "level" as the normal cahracter.

1) Lycantrhope abilities are in the hybrid/beast form only. Not in the human form.

2) 5th level...  The character will need to develop skill ranks in his animal attacks, he doesn't get them for free (but I also wouldn't give him a -25 for no ranks either, there is some level of instinct there).

3) As per his overall level

4) As with #1 above, Hybrid & Beast forms

5) Short answer -- no. and no for the hybrid form as well. In both instances, the character's body (including vocal cords change and prevent casting).

Longer answer - it depends. If you are using CoM, and you are using alternate casting styles, then it depends upon what ones are selected. It also depends upon how much of the character's original personality/mind is in control (acting like a wild beast means no spells - period).

For simplicity's sake, I would just say no to spells and lycanthropy..

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 05:30:59 PM »
1 - OK, I'm good with hybrid/beast form.

2 - The reason I said level 8 is the MAFG says
When under the transformation brought on by lycanthropy the victim fights as a Fighter three levels higher than its current level with an appropriate attack bonus equal to the max skill rank of the creature in addition to any bonuses brought on by an enhanced Strength and Agility

3 - MAFG also says
The Endurance rank of the creature is also maximized, providing it with the most Concussion Hits possible. The creature gains maximum skill ranks in Stalk & Hide, Tracking, and Ambush while in its Lycanthrope form.

So the real question is max skill ranks for what level?  Are you going to stick with "As per his overall level" which would 5 my example?

4 - OK, I'm good with Hybrid / Beast form for this.

5 - I totally get what you are saying here... I agree with Nancy Regan and "just say no".

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 07:21:04 PM »
Those statements (for 2 and 3) are for NPC Lycanthropes. I wouldn't allow them if for a PC Lycanthrope.

Offline kedrake

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Land of Osmar
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:04:42 PM »
I am not making a PC Lycanthrope.  I building the "head monster" for an adventure I'm writing.  I making a "slightly" more powerful version that shown in MAFG (which is, after all, based on a level 1 fighter who gets infected).

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 04:16:27 AM »
1 - Does the Were-beast have the regeneration, enhanced senses and other such talents in pure beast form, in beast and hybrid form, or all the time (e.g. while in human form)?

I would give them lesser regen, enh. senses, etc in human form, but full in hybrid and animal form.

2 - If my base person was a Harper(3), Fighter (2) - then would the Lycantrhope attack as a level 8 fighter (meaning 27 ranks in OB for an OB of 77)?  And would they get this OB in both beast form or would they get it in hybrid form as well?

OK, I only read the second post, but let me guess what an ICE official said: They need to develop ranks in attacking as a hybrid and animal form seperately. (If any have responded yet) Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it would depend upon how you are playing this affliction. If it is truly an affliction, I would take their character away during the rages. If it is more like a WOD/Werewolf game, then I would make them at least use either theri existing brawling or Martial Arts: Striking skills, at a negative. Then have them spend some DPs (not a 1000 over the course of 10 levels) to get rid of the negative - what ever you think is appropriate.

3- Max endurance and stalk & hide, and ambush in beast form or hybrid form?

These would definately be different in beast/hybrid form, usually more. How much more is totally up to you and what you feel comfortable with, but 10-20% higher should be good enough, though you could go as high as 30% more. I would even have human form have a 10-15% increase to reflect their supernatural nature.

4 -Tough Hide Minor - which forms does this bonus apply to (beast, hybrid, human)?

Beast & Hybrid, not human. His greater toughness in human form should be reflected in slightly higher endurance. If you have lycanthropy being very supernatural in origin, maybe a DB bonus verses non-magical weapons. Nothing huge, though.

5 - Does a Lycanthrope in beast form still have the ability to cast spells?  How about in hybrid form?  (Assume the person form CAN cast spells (e.g. the Harper (3) above)?

This goes back to #2 above. If they are accursed, then NO. If it is under control, then NO for animal form, and uuhhhhh.... maybe with a negative in hybrid form?!?

Of course, I have barely touched the surface on the HARP rules, so I could be way off here.  ;D
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.