Author Topic: RMSS Black Ops  (Read 10120 times)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
Re: RMSS Black Ops
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »
I'm actually a professional nag, so my tolerence level is pretty high.

Sent you your reply, interesting stuff.

Beyond Allen, how many people are playing RM/SM for modern (or relatively modern) settings?
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 09:24:40 PM »
 I have used it for a pre-set for a fantasy game as well as for a Call of C. game.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 09:33:40 PM »
s'funny, in that all the games I can think of using RM/SM that weren't fantasy or sci-fi are victorian, rather than straight modern. (Or are you talking 1920's CoC?)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 01:05:46 AM »
 I was doing a 1990's CoC, which I also have the book for. I have used some of the same adventures for 1990's and 1920's and they work fine with a little tweeking. I have a fair amount of CoC stuff because I liked RQ before I found RM.

Any way you should try it out as in general your group does not expect it.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 02:31:10 AM »
Beyond Allen, how many people are playing RM/SM for modern (or relatively modern) settings?

Me. 2-WW Submarine "Cthuluesque" Historical/Horror and 1930's Pulp as PBF games (at RMrpg.com  ;)). I've also run a Vietnam, Pennisular War Historical and another WW2 based historical/horror set in Finand, all as convetion -type scenarios.

To be honest I've used the system more often for stuff that isn't straight generic fantasy/Sci-fi.....

Offline mathhatt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 04:06:48 AM »

I used RMFRP+BlackOps+Firearms for a very realistic kind of Jack Ryan campaing. PCs were CIA agents operating in the 80's.
"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was, is lost, for none now live who remember it."
-- Galadriel, The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. --

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 08:13:08 AM »
wow... these are all some might fine ideas!

I was a player in a CoC'ish game years ago. I'd never played CoC before and it was kind of a going away game (3 sessions) for our GM who was moving out of state. The first time some 'monster' showed up we all freaked out cuz we had NO idea it was gonna be CoC related at all. and my not having any idea about the genre... well I couldn't help but blurt, "OMG! WTF is that?!" We were supposed to be a new SEAL Team.... and man did we get our collective butts handed to us. good times, good times. :)

~A
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:25 AM »

I don't know if western counts as modern. I have done that several times. I did once use Black Ops as an actual ....Black Ops setting.

I am so unoriginal.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
I have ran pulp, black ops, modern and western, along with sci fi.  I did not like the western game at all (it turned into a pulp game chasing down an indian mystic determined to raise an army of undead indians).  I have no groove for cowboys; another evil rancher?  Rob another bank?  Yawn. 

I prefer sci fi.  If I run modern, I prefer modern over a military/black ops setting.  However, even my modern games are pretty pulpy, with secret societies, aliens and lost magic inevitably turning up.

I have wanted to run a DOOM 3 sorta game since I played DOOM 3 and it scared the willies out of me a few times (if you play DOOM 3, play it IN THE DARK and TURN UP THE VOLUME.  I promise it will make ya jump every now and then).  Hell invades, and everything you were taught in Sunday school is true...what could be scarier than that?

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 09:59:09 AM »
I have no groove for cowboys; another evil rancher?  Rob another bank?  Yawn. 

This was kinda my thing. I have done a lot of research into the era, and I have a lot of source material at the house to work with.

The longest lasting one I was running was set in Missouri about 1862. There were not a lot of big pitched battles here, but the guerrilla activity was horrible. I have a book on the civil war in Missouri day by day. It makes an interesting guideline. Entire towns were depopulated and burned, and example nearby is the town of Ellington. It is not currently in the place it started in. A federal troop burned it for harboring guerrillas. There were entire counties in western Missouri that were emptied of anyone due to the support for guerrilla attacks into Kansas.

So mine were not so much evil banker/ bank robber things. More like common man caught up in the war. This also kept me from affecting history much with character actions since most of this stuff never really was heard about. Short of them offing Bloody Bill Anderson, or stopping Quantrell from raiding Lawrence there was little problem.

This also led into interesting adventures after the war.

The other campaign I did was taking a Japanese character and throwing him into the west. At the time there was a revolution in Japan, and the character was a samurai who had run rather then commit seppeku. This was pretty interesting as well.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
 I also forgot a Shadowrun knock off usinf black ops and other books.

BTW, SM:P Psionics work very well also in RMSS/FRP and many be even RMX/C/2 as they are very different than spell casting.

MDC
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:16:48 PM by markc »
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline broodhunter

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:15 PM »
I'm actually a professional nag, so my tolerence level is pretty high.

Sent you your reply, interesting stuff.

I am personally planning on running a black ops game  using the old Millenium's End background, leading into a World War Z game.   ("What do you mean my .50 Barrett didn't kill him?  WTF kind of armor does he got?")

Offline Allen

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2008, 08:26:52 AM »
LOL! yeah, I've got plans similar... and when that 20mm cannon round hits, bounces and the bad guy stands up again... I think the pucker factor will be quite high.  :laugh1:

I am personally planning on running a black ops game  using the old Millenium's End background, leading into a World War Z game.   ("What do you mean my .50 Barrett didn't kill him?  WTF kind of armor does he got?")
Ooo, that's gonna leave a mark...

or

"Laugh it up shorty... you've been using my loin cloth for a blanket." -Bruce to Inky from the web comic Atland

Offline jolt

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »
Never for anything espionage style modern but we did run Pulp Adventures a few times.  I am, by far, the biggest pulp fan in our group, so it's hard to get anyone else interested.  Didn't like using the regular spell lists or the modified fantasy classes (especially for spellcasters).  I would've preferred magic to be represented by exotic talents like the radio Shadow's ability to "cloud men's minds" rather than just PP's and spell lists.

Never played a lot of modern day espionage.  Played in a few Spycraft 2.0 in the last few years but before that you'd have to go back to Top Secret (the orginal, not the S.I. one).

jolt
"Logic will take you from A to B.  Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Einstein