Author Topic: Shotguns in Firearms Law  (Read 3030 times)

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
Shotguns in Firearms Law
« on: April 09, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »
I may have missed it somewhere but I was curious if anyone is aware of errata for Firearms Law. The shotgun tables were seriously garbled (i.e. only blunderbuss before 1886, some did one level of damage on the Master Weapons Table and another on the Shotgun Attack Tables).

Any info would be appreciated.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline PiXeL01

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Seeing things from the top of Mt. Fuji
Re: Shotguns in Firearms Law
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 10:18:17 AM »
Have you checked brent`s website on the icewebring? I think something is there about it. www.icewebring.com I would try here first
PiXeL01 - RM2/RMC Fanboy

I think violence in games only causes violence in real life if the person in question has an insufficient mental capacity to deal with the real world in the first place. But, that's more the fault of poor genetics and poorer parenting than it is the fault of a videogame

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 04:20:33 PM »
I may have missed it somewhere but I was curious if anyone is aware of errata for Firearms Law. The shotgun tables were seriously garbled (i.e. only blunderbuss before 1886, some did one level of damage on the Master Weapons Table and another on the Shotgun Attack Tables).

Someone was working on them from what I remember from an old post and they were going to submit it to Rasyr for posting on ICE's Errata page. I do not know if it got there though. Send a message to Rasyr via the e-mail addresses listed in ICE's email adresses for staff, his real name is Tim Dugger.

But I would also check the link above.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline broodhunter

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »

Either mine are not, or I do not see what you see.  What do you mean by garbled?

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 08:02:40 PM »

I looked at my copy right now and it is the same as yours. I do noy have one but maybe a Enclopeda of Shotguns book might help fill in some of the blanks.
 Here is the Wiki page I just looked at, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

I read most of it and was supprised that there were not more weapons listed as shotguns.

As to the mistakes could it be that the weapons are fireing slug ammo instead of shot ammo? IMO that would be one thing that would change the chart from a SG to a ME chart.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline croakerdogboy

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Software Developer/Writer/ Indentured Servant
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:06:21 PM »
I've got several books on old weapons that I used to make it the way I wanted it. I was just curious as to if there was ever an official take on it.

The type of shot or round was factored into the small table on the back of each SG page.

I'll have to look it up, I don't have the books here, but I basically came up with using less tables.

410 gauge
28 gauge
20 gauge
16 gauge
12 gauge
10 gauge
and 8 gauge.

I moved them up or down one table if they were using magnums. Another if depending on full or modified choke. But that left some of the tables only accessable by modifications.
It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to either his own devices or his own thoughts.

H.L. Mencken

Offline edxs

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
The nature of shotguns is such that damage should be entirely dependent on the rounds used and not the shotgun itself (except for chokes). Because of the pressures produced by shotshells, the shot/slug reaches maximum velocity very quickly, and barrel length does not seriously affect it. Also, spread is dependent on the choke (or lack thereof) and not on barrel length. Basically, while the SG charts are fairly good, I'm not sure why, for example, a Mossberg 590 firing the same shells as a SPAS 12 is so much worse.

If you want to be consistent with WL: Firearms, calculate the ME # of a shotgun shell loaded with a slug weighing the same as the total shot weight. Subtract one to get the base SG #, then apply modifications based on shot size.

Examples:
Federal PFC157 12 ga. 3" 12x 00 buck 1325 fps
1 1/2 oz, 2557.2 ft-lbf, ME #14, SG #13
Since it is buckshot it needs no SG # adjustment (except for Huge).

Federal SC176 12 ga. 2 3/4" 1 oz #8 1350 fps
1768.4 ft-lbf, ME #10, SG #9
Since it is #8 shot it needs to be adjusted, for example to SG #2 for man-sized targets.

InstellArms flechette shell 12 ga. 3" 20g of 40 flechettes 1970 fps
2659.1 ft-lbf, ME #14, SG #13
I have no idea how to adjust this. in WL:F the only flechette rounds were SG #20. Probably, since flechette rounds are for piercing armor, I'd allow them shrapnel crits even against armor, then apply the #5-1 shot size modification based on their weight.