Author Topic: bonus for a well crafted bow ... or good wood  (Read 4335 times)

Offline Dirz

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
bonus for a well crafted bow ... or good wood
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:07:47 PM »
In RMC, I can have a +25 sword having it +15 for weight and then make it in High Steel for another +10

How do you manage a good bow?

Maybe made of good wood?

As a house rule, me and my friends stated that, in order to wield a heavy weapon, you need a ST bonus of 2 x bonus or greater (to whield a +15 heavy sword, need a very strong man with a ST bonus of at least 30), do you think this rule is fine or not?

We stated it because otherwise, we wold have ALL weapons made in heavy design for +15!

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: bonus for a well crafted bow ... or good wood
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
They have rules about better wood in the Combat Companion but only rules at least that I can find for armor. I kinda expected a section of weapons as well.

I am 99% sure I have seen rules for this somewhere but I have so many RM, RMSS, RMFRP, RMC and HARP books not counting PDF's I often forget what is used with what.

If I can find it again i will post it.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 01:24:00 AM »
I'd start with looking at Arms companion and Alchemy companion.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:37:06 AM »
RMFRP Treasure Companion can be used well also with RMC or RMX and contains all kinds of rules on bonus/magical weapons, armor etc.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2008, 04:14:12 AM »
In the old Heroes and Rogues book and also in the Shadow World Master Atlas there are different woods and their properties mentioned. The list in H&R also features other natural materials like dragon bone n stuff.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2008, 05:35:23 AM »
Theres always bonuses for good design as well.. basically what composite bows use.

I use the rules in RMSS Treasure Companion, with the options from RM Arms Companion (though the bonuses can get a little silly and out of hand...If you let them.).

However, it is the cost that should be the balancing factor.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2008, 05:42:00 AM »
I wouldn't recommend Arms Companion, especially in the hands of players it usually gets out of hand quite badly - speaking from my own experience as a player here. Dangerous and really silly rules those are.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Dirz

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »
I wouldn't recommend Arms Companion, especially in the hands of players it usually gets out of hand quite badly - speaking from my own experience as a player here. Dangerous and really silly rules those are.
I absolutely agree with you. It's easy to start with one small rule, and end up with a bundle of ungovernable  rules and bonuses

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 07:25:25 AM »
I posted the bonues/table from Treasure Companion on this forum a while back for someone else.  Ah, search is a handy feature;

There is a list of wood types in Treasure Companion, pg 38.

Cost     Crafting Dif'     OB Mod     Str Mod      Material

x.1        routine            -30           -30          Pine
x.5        routine            -10           -30          Fur
x1         routine            +0            +0          Ash
x10       light                +5            +10         Oak
x50       medium           +10          +20         Hickory
x100     Hard                +15          +30         Iron Wood

For you, you could consider St mod to be the actual St mod needed to weild the bow, but it is meant to be a mod to the items strength for breaking checks.

lynn

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 08:45:29 AM »
Different wood types is a nice concept but I'm usure it should give any OB bonus?
Strengthwise it's a big difference but OB, I don't know? A good bowmaker will choose good raw materials to work with and a bow with heavier pull will make a difference. Still the poundage of a bow can be achieved through different means and wood type is only one of the options.

Offline Dark Mistress

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 10:05:55 AM »
Ah treasure companion, I knew it was around somewhere.
Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

- Benjamin Franklin

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 10:41:19 AM »
Different wood types is a nice concept but I'm usure it should give any OB bonus?
Strengthwise it's a big difference but OB, I don't know? A good bowmaker will choose good raw materials to work with and a bow with heavier pull will make a difference. Still the poundage of a bow can be achieved through different means and wood type is only one of the options.

I suppose the OB modifier is the capability of the wood to accept greater pull ratings, in fact possibily allowing the pull ratings in the first place... Thus the OB modifer is a direct reflection on pull strength of the bow. As far as STR modification goes then, perhaps, the full bonus could only be utilised by those with STR bonuses equal to the task. Those with lesser strength simply don't get the full bonus.

There is quite a lot of other systems that have rules for strength-rated bows which work in a similar manner... none of them should disqualify use of the bow due to inadequate strength rather restrict strength related bonuses, increase fumble ranges or %activity to load/fire them.

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 01:18:18 PM »
Yes, I can see that working.
The wood type sets a maixmum pull rating, i.e. OB modifier. To be able to use the full bonus the pc must have a str bonus equal or greater than the pull rating.

Thus for a +15 bow you need a +15 str bonus.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 02:58:01 PM »
That would almost seem like a variation on "Heavier construction"

There's a "Quality of manufacture" bonus table in RMC CT.
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2008, 04:35:49 AM »
I have always used the concept of Str Bonus for Bows with a harder pull (for each design that is) and it works very well. Mostly I did it this way because it's the way my gamemaster did it back in the very old days when RM2 was new :)

I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
I usually consider the pull of the bow to be part of the ST bonus, so a character with a +25 ST bonus is using a bow with a far higher pull than the one with a +5 ST bonus. I generally don't enforce that too hard, or else bows would be rather hard to exchange or find. . .
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 03:17:52 AM »
I usually consider the pull of the bow to be part of the ST bonus, so a character with a +25 ST bonus is using a bow with a far higher pull than the one with a +5 ST bonus. I generally don't enforce that too hard, or else bows would be rather hard to exchange or find. . .
I usually only make a subject out of it when the players are buying a bow. :)

Oh I dont use this for magic enhancements of weapons, since I assume that the magic will work nomatter what the ST is of the person. After all.. it's magic :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)