Author Topic: Sel-kai coinage  (Read 2159 times)

Offline starflt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Sel-kai coinage
« on: April 04, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
So, when I was asked by a player what a sellin or orlin looked like, I quickly came up with the following:

For both coins, "Sel-Kai" and "One Sellin/Orlin" around the top and bottom edges on the front and back.

Sellin: Profile of Agaren Navalak's head on front side (TE ???? - 4838) and an image of Eidolon with the date of its rise (3-15-4650) on the back.

Orlin: Profile of the current Prince with his coronation date (need to look this up) on the front and an image of a skyship (or regular ship) on the back.

Comments?  Other ideas?

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Sel-kai coinage
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 10:19:32 PM »
The current beta version of Treasure Law has a random coin-shape generator. I honestly never thought I would say this, but I think it might actually be useful for you.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I intend to live forever ... or die trying!
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 12:55:45 AM »
Oooh yeah - that random coin table is awesome! I will find that VERY useful as well!! Time to enter all the tables into a random generator and generate loads of options for different regions.   ;D

Why didn't you think it was useful before now - do you stick to the standard gp, sp, bp etc or are you blessed with being good at coming up with this stuff on the fly?

Personally, if it's not on a table in front of me, my mind is completely blank. And on the odd occasion that I do manage to come up with something, I end up contradicting myself.   :-[

So if there happens to be an official Shadow World list sometime in the future, I'll be very interested! (nudge, nudge)
Logo Rolemaster (Unified). Illustration of 2 Covers.
Logo Re-Vamp of Shadow World.
Illustration, Page Design & Layout of Shadow World Players Guide - The World.
Illustration of various other Shadow World products
Logo Design, Page Design & Layout of HARP SF & SFX
Feel free to browse my gallery

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 01:45:15 AM »
Like IRL, coin collectors are a thing.

I am totally going to make a character that keeps detailed accounts of where their different coins come from region-wise, next PC!
They’ll have an almost child-like fascination not unlike Danny DeVito’s character from ‘Throw Momma from the Train” when recounting how he acquired each one!

Owen’s coin collection!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »

Why didn't you think it was useful before now - do you stick to the standard gp, sp, bp etc or are you blessed with being good at coming up with this stuff on the fly?

I was just a little salty because Treasure Law seemed to have taken time to include things that were only marginally useful (e.g. a random coin shape generator) while failing to include things that were absolutely essential and present in earlier treasure books like Creatures and Treasures (e.g. random magic item tables). I believe that is being rectified now, however, and the random magic item tables will appear in the final version.

To be clear, I have no specific beef against random coin shape generators. If you like it, all power to you. I just feel that before we put those into Treasure Law, we should put random magic item tables in. I will most likely never use the former, but I will routinely use the latter.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 11:09:01 AM »
That is a very good point!

Offline craggles

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Personal Sketchpad
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
For both coins, ...
...Comments?  Other ideas?

I forgot to mention those are awesome ideas BTW and I'll be using them as well as the random coin generator from the RMU Treasure Law.

Offline starflt

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 09:54:21 PM »
Huh, thanks for the pointer to the random coin generator, but for a place as central as Sel-kai is, I would want to ground it in the lore and history of the place itself (hence my references to Navalak and Eidolon) and not just pulled off a random table.

The coins certainly don't have to be round, but I would expect that Sel-kai has the technology and know how to make round coins with anti-debasement methods, like modern coins.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 01:11:35 PM »
Random tables are great for generating ideas and making you think of things you wouldn't have otherwise considered. I use Inspiration Pad Pro heavily for that sort of thing. But especially for world-building, there's no reason to feel required to use the outcome you rolled.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline egdcltd

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +70/-70
    • Azukail Games
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:34:08 PM »
Now all someone needs to do is create some coin images and convert them into stl files.
I made some things! Azukail Games