Author Topic: Getting unstudied.  (Read 9468 times)

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Getting unstudied.
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
The original intent of the Study Target spell was physical form and/or mannerisms only.

That much, I can say for sure....  ;D

And as for the Speak with Dead spell, if you want that to have a more mystical aspect, you can easily replace "Study Target" with "Mind Typing" and give the Necromancer access to that spell.

Just a thought...  :D

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2008, 03:52:36 PM »
And why about letting go of the "target spirit must have been studied" of Speak with the dead and the scaling options allowing to ignore it ? If the necromancer can see the spirit, he can use his spell on it, just like another living-affecting spell.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2008, 03:59:18 PM »
If you want, you can get rid of that, however, if you did, then I would raise the base cost of the spell by a number of PP equal half of the scaling option that lets the spell be case without the Study Target.

The purpose for having studied the target (IIRC -- Nick is the one who wrote the spell, so I may be wrong about his original intentions here) was to give the caster something to focus on when trying to communicate with the spirit.

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
I like it that way. Maybe the necromancer lacks a "spirit sight" or something like that to allow him to find a target spirit and the apply his spells on it ?
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Karak_Nor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »
Using the PBMonkey ? HARP Spell Creation spreadsheet, I created this spell.  If it wasn?t for this thread, it would have cost 8 PP and wiped an entire mind for 8 minutes.   :)  I love spell creation.

Amnesia
PP Cost
Range   50 feet
Duration   None
Spell Type   Attack
RR   Will
Sphere   ?
Description The target of the spell has their mind wiped of one thing (e.g. a dream, a Studied Target, a piece of information) permanently.

Scaling Options
Additional Erasure (for each additional fact)   +6 PP
Increase Distance (for each additional 50?)   +1 PP

Aspects
Actions ? Negate
Object ? Mind

I agree with Rasyr in regards to...
?
1) Study Target -- in order for a target to have been studied, he must be in the presence of the caster of the spell. The caster has to be able to see him with his own eyes. And personally, I would rule that the caster can only Study a target within 20'-30' of himself (depending on how crowded, and other circumstances - possibly even less distance), otherwise he won't get enough detail to have the character properly studied. The spell targets the caster, and basically only works to allow the caster actually memorize physical form and mannerisms.
?
You shouldn?t be able to memorize a target unless you are in very near proximity.

You could make having some one ?forget? a Studied Target as a ritual.  Gather this, that and the other, stand in a circle and mutter a spell.  Maybe even having a part of the one who cast the Study Target; giving each piece a modifier depending on what it was.  E.g. Mr. High Evil Priests favourite loin cloth could be a +20, but a lock of his hair or a finger could be a +50.  However, if you could get a piece of his body, why not just knock him off while you?re there.

Offline Karak_Nor

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 07:46:53 AM »
Ok, now to weigh in on "what is" Study Target.  To me, Study Target is the use of magic to prepare, store and seal the mind of the caster with the details of the subject at that point in time.  The spell will memorise all physical, mystical and spiritual aspects of the subject.  When the caster casts another spell that requires the prior use of Study Target, it does a check of the stored details then searches for the appropriate subject.  Sort of like the search function in Windows.

In life and in death, a studied target would have the same signature/aura that the Study Target imprints on the casters mind.  If this can be distorted or changed, then the Study Target will no longer be tuned to the same person.  In regards to the deceased, the spirit/soul will carry markers that the spell requiring Study Target will be able to find.

If you were to cast Study Target on a person under an illusion, then you will have imprinted the real person with their illusions.  So if you were to try and search for that person you would not be able to find them if their disguises have changed or finished.  If you were to try and impersonate them, you would register with all the details they had at the time of casting Study Target.