Author Topic: Creating an Intro Adventure...for Gencon.  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Uriel

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Creating an Intro Adventure...for Gencon.
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:41:32 AM »
Hey all,

I won't say what it is specifically (Since I may send it to various folks to GM, and tell me what they think, and some others here might be players in said games...), but I am
throwing together a little 1-2 hour 'Here's HARP' adventure for Gencon. I plan on finding groups of bored folks (At 1am, or whenever etc...) and offer to GM a mini session, to see how they like they game. I want to include actual Roleplay (Yes, I love playing NPCs, quirks, silly accents and all), Combat, Puzzle Solving and myriad of useful skills and maneuvers.

I'm looking at

RP 25%
Combat 30%
Puzzle Solving 20&
Skill/Maneuver 25%

Does that sound like a good mix/breakdown? My games usually have a high chance for conflict, though not always direct combat.

Maneuver's could cover dangerous rope bridges or treacherous ground, avoiding traps, etc...

Suggestions?

-Uriel

PS: My HARP 'Converts' stand at a solid 6, with 4 more on the line..Mwuahahaha!

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
Re: Creating an Intro Adventure...for Gencon.
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
You might be looking at crossed purposed with the roleplaying and puzzle solving in a demo.  Those then to take focus away from the rules system you are trying to sell.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »
Just thinking of that as well.  You want to show off the game and its uses.  It can also get frustraiting if they don't get it.  Chase scene with combat at the end is a good scenario for maneuvers & combat.  Thieves breaking in their room for example or a sneaky infiltration scenario could work.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:06:06 PM »
I designed the teaser of The Throne of God to have just this sort of purpose and I run it as a demo at cons.  Take a look at it if you have it for ideas.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 07:28:31 PM »
Having played a gencon tournament module with a puzzle in it (and we spent almost the entire 2 hours not being able to get beyond room #2 despite my character's 20 Intelligence!) and we were miserable. It had nothing to do with the game rules - it was just a puzzle we couldn't solve.
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 03:14:17 AM »
Have you looked and allen's Cyradon adventures in the vault? They are really good and might very well do the trick.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 06:45:53 AM »
Having played a gencon tournament module with a puzzle in it (and we spent almost the entire 2 hours not being able to get beyond room #2 despite my character's 20 Intelligence!) and we were miserable. It had nothing to do with the game rules - it was just a puzzle we couldn't solve.

Therefore there should be always other solutions to puzzles.

Once my group couldn't answer the question on a magic door, so they chopped through it.
Until today the players repeate that question sometimes and say grinning: "break it."
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
I'm also thinking of running a HARP adventure at a convention. U-Con, in Ann Arbor, Michigan to be exact. Yes, I think about what I want to run that early.

I may use the outlined adventure I wrote, and so far I have created one pregen, a half-Human/half-Dwarf Harper. Maybe I'll even use that setting I was going to use as a basis for restricting what weapons people would be most likely to be using.

And I think I'm ready to make a full switch to HARP from most D&D. The Planescape campaign setting was at least craziness with a theme. 4e just seems like craziness for the sake of craziness.
#LotorAllura2024