Author Topic: Combat Companion  (Read 22458 times)

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
Re: Combat Companion
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »
I was wondering when does the hardbounds start to ship (if they havent already) :D

Received mine yesterday!  It helps that I'm in central NC, just south of ICE HQ.

Offline Gladius

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2008, 09:14:57 PM »
Just got my hard copy (not hardbound) a couple of days ago. I already had the pdf, but there's nothing like putting my feet up and reading a book straight through.
Here's to hoping Harp and Rm merge into one great game.

Offline Crypt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • I like to officially parry arrows with my head
    • CryptRL
« Reply #122 on: June 27, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »
What about the falling damages ? I've seen no information about that.

Is it supposed to be =>
Crush table.
1d100 +1 per foot
1-10' = Type I
11-50'= Type II
51-100' = Type III
over 100' = Type IV   ?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2008, 11:31:45 AM »
What about the falling damages ? I've seen no information about that.

Crush Attack table - yes.

Anything other than that is identical to the core rules regarding Falls.

Offline Crypt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • CryptRL
« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2008, 04:34:09 AM »
Nice book, i like it.

It seems that the combat styles are inspired by Hero's combat maneuvers, aren't they ?  ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2008, 08:14:54 AM »
Yes, Hero/Champions was a big inspiration for the Special Maneuvers.

Offline Crypt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • CryptRL
« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2008, 07:48:21 AM »
Edit: Forgot to ask about this, how do you handle Holy and Slaying Weapons in the new Condensed system. Do you use the crit roll and apply it to the Holy/Slaying column on the table in Arms Law (and add it to the normal crit) or do they just get a mod. on the new crit table?

I'd ask this question too.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2008, 08:25:41 AM »
You could do it either way.

As a simple mod to the existing crit roll, I would say to give Holy a +25 mod, and Slaying a +50 Mod (and ignore caps due to critical severity). This would be my preferred method of handling it.

Or, just roll on the proper columns of the Arms Law table -- instead of the normal critical (not in addition to).

Offline Crypt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • CryptRL
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2008, 08:42:00 AM »
(and ignore caps due to critical severity)

you mean such weapons would be Type IV, whatever normal type they are ?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2008, 10:29:57 AM »

No, the Weapon Types would remain the same. What I meant was that if a Dagger of slaying does a 14B on the attack table, that you would not stop at 105 (the normal max for a "B" crit) if the critical roll exceeded that. (in fact, a "B" Slaying critical would begin at 56 (+5 for B, +50 for slaying, and at least +1 for crit roll hehe), and then go up from there...   ;D)

The +50 would have no effect on the weapon's type or the attack table result, only on the critical rolled.

Offline Crypt

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • CryptRL
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2008, 11:14:36 AM »
ok, i see.

we may do Holy Electricity, Slaying Fire, etc....that's nice :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 11:20:16 AM by Crypt »

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
yup...   ;D

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2008, 04:46:50 PM »

No, the Weapon Types would remain the same. What I meant was that if a Dagger of slaying does a 14B on the attack table, that you would not stop at 105 (the normal max for a "B" crit) if the critical roll exceeded that. (in fact, a "B" Slaying critical would begin at 56 (+5 for B, +50 for slaying, and at least +1 for crit roll hehe), and then go up from there...   ;D)

The +50 would have no effect on the weapon's type or the attack table result, only on the critical rolled.

I'm missing something.  Where in the Condensed Combat tables does it give max results for different critical severities?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
I'm missing something.  Where in the Condensed Combat tables does it give max results for different critical severities?

It doesn't, but there is a natural built in max.

The crit tables go from 01 to 120, and crit rolls are a non-open-ended roll. Thus, a "B" critical has a natural range of 06-105 on the critical table. That is what I was referring to.

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2008, 05:32:59 PM »
Ah, I get it.  Thanks.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2008, 03:39:28 PM »
A bit of a necromancy, but...
Just to be sure, the Champion's Faith's Weapon's level 25 spell says: "Caster may freely use all of the spells with an ?I? in their name at the simultaneously e for the duration of the spell."
Aside from the fact there's no spell with an ?I? in its name (but you can deduce them from the spells with an ?II? in their name  ;)), I guess it's supposed to be a less powerful version of the level 50 spell, therefore it's supposed to be "Caster may freely use all of the spells with an ?I? in their name, at a rate of 1 spell per round, for the duration of the spell."?

I didn't find a thread for the matter so... I found some typos:
  • The Champion's Succor level 2 spell says "The caster ca stop the bleeding on a wound that is bleeding at a rate of 1 hit per round."
  • The Elemental Warrior's Warrior's Shield level 10 spell: "As Deflect Bolt, except that 2 magical missiles or bolt may have..."
  • The Elemental Warrior's Warrior's Shield level 20 spell is marked as a level 15 spell.
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #136 on: August 05, 2008, 08:01:36 PM »
For that first part, about the spells with the "I" in them, you can easily figure out which they are because of the ones with the "II" in them. At the last moment, the decision was made to remove the "I" from the spell names... sigh...

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2008, 09:07:23 AM »
I've purchased the Combat Co and I think that is a very good book; it offers choices to RM players, more or less like for HARP players.
The new condensed system is like the Hack'N'slash from HARP: a good idea that improves the basic combats from RMC. I'll use it!!
I have a question: how handle damages if a roll exceedes a max result?
For example if You do a result of 280 with a broadsword?
For example if You do a result of 280 with a long axe (type III)?
Tank Iou for answers!

To me I think of a formula very simple:
true result- max result read in the table with the limits of the weapon.
One example with a result of 280 with broad sword versus AR 1:
280-150= 130, thus   34 E + 25 D (130 on the column) (59 hits and two criticals E&D)

One example with a result of 280 with long axe (type III) versus AR 1:
280- 130= 150, thus 25 D + 25 D (2 times the max plus 20 on the column with no more hits)...
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2008, 10:40:15 AM »
Exceeding 150 -- I would recommend to use the max result for the weapon size, and then for every 10 points above 150, add +1 to the critical roll. Thus a 280 result for the broadsword would add +13 to the crit roll.

For the Long Axe (type III), that would be +15 to the crit roll (280 - 130 = 150/10 = +15)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2008, 11:04:07 AM »
I did a Mental Fumble: I miss the Option 13 "Wrapping the Attack Charts"  ???
I've just read it in my bath  ;D

This rule can work with the Condensed Combat System.

But your rule is very good in my sense...I want mix the two: more hits (Opt 13) and more criticals (your suggestion) for a "Hack'N'Slash" flavour!  ;)
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&