Author Topic: Combat Companion  (Read 22336 times)

Offline LORD LOBO

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Companion
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:15:52 AM »
What's the word on Combat Companion?

Is it coming out anytime soon?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Companion
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 08:58:18 AM »
yes -- It is in pagemaking/proofing right now, and we are still waiting on most of the artwork....

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:05:51 AM »
Sounds like great progress! Hopefully, it'll all and it itself (wow, nice grammar) will arrive soon.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline thiha

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Peace
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »
Can't wait!
I wanna get it soon ;D

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 04:16:42 PM »
Most of the pagemaking is done and it is in the proofing stage. However, we are also waiting on artwork to come in....

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:15 AM »
Okay, I just jumped on the newly-available CC (is that the right abbreviation?) and ordered the HB+PDF combo.  I get no download link for the pdf.  Help?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 06:08:49 AM »
Okay, I just jumped on the newly-available CC (is that the right abbreviation?) and ordered the HB+PDF combo.  I get no download link for the pdf.  Help?

Minor glitch in the software -- Go back and see if you can download it from your "My Account" area now.

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 06:36:40 AM »
Nope, still no download link.  It's order #747, if that helps.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 07:32:49 AM »
Sorry, I made the presumption that fixing the product entry would fix your order. Because of the glitch (the minor glitch was that the file was not attached to the product properly -- my fault for not double checking it).

I also forgot that without a file attached, when you made your purchase, it didn't attach any  file download to the order.  I have made a coupon so that you can go purchase the PDF for free and will PM it to you in a moment. Sorry about the problem.

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 11:03:15 AM »
Got the download link with the new order.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 11:30:17 AM »
So? any thoughts yet?   ;D

Offline twh

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Aaarrrgggssshhhh!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:54:37 PM »
Almost, just give me a chance to read it thru a second time... ::)

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
I have all kinds of thoughts....like for instance:  Why is Madonna's new song "Four Minutes" only three minutes and nine seconds long?

Oh, wait....you meant thoughts about the Combat Companion.   Never mind.  ;D
"Cthulhu is the bacon of gaming." -John Kovalic, author of "Dork Tower"

Offline stacktrace

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 07:02:46 PM »
Like what I am seeing so far.  Thank you for putting this up now instead of waiting on the art.  Still digesting it.  The 3 new classes look like a lot of fun, I love their new spell lists. 

Noticed one error though, the DP cost per weapon styles does not include values for classes that have a 3/5 base cost, which all 3 of the new classes have.

I really like the look of the armor by the piece and the new combat tables.  Hope to see more new material like this in the future, well done!

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »
Just use the 3/6, 3/7 row.

Offline Hawkwind

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:10:57 PM »
I have all kinds of thoughts....like for instance:  Why is Madonna's new song "Four Minutes" only three minutes and nine seconds long?

Because its Four Minutes to Save the World - she's clearly allowing herself a bit of time to go and do the job after she finishes singing about it  ;D

Hawk

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 11:24:11 PM »
I have a question about the Divine Champion's "Transcend Armor" spell. (Faith's Shield list)

Does the caster have to be out of his/her/its armor to cast this spell?  If so, it kind of defeats the purpose of the spell.  I would have made this a class ability or added "transcend armor" as a new secondary skill.

As for the rest of the book, this totally makes up for the Martial Arts Companion being out of print!!!!   Thank you, thank you, thank you.  The rules make more sense, and combat should go much faster now.

Now, to dig out my copy of "GURPS Martial Arts" and start translating combat styles.  Pankration and Chaussons, anyone?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 12:43:31 AM »
I have a question about the Divine Champion's "Transcend Armor" spell. (Faith's Shield list)

Does the caster have to be out of his/her/its armor to cast this spell?  If so, it kind of defeats the purpose of the spell.  I would have made this a class ability or added "transcend armor" as a new secondary skill.

Short answer is yes.

And no, it doesn't defeat the purpose of the spell. The spell has a varied duration, of up to 24 hours. Is your Champion going to sleep in his armor? The idea is that he gets up, and casts the spell BEFORE donning his armor, and so he is set for the day.

As a skill? Sorry, but NO. The ESF rules regarding armor are an option. To make it a skill, that would mean requiring those rules and/or assuming that they will be used. That is one of the fallacies that plagued the Rolemaster Companions -- they assumed certain rules WOULD be being used.

We are trying to avoid that here.

Class ability? Not sure about that one either. That opens other kettles of fish entirely.

Best to have it as a spell that only needs to be cast once a day normally.

As for the rest of the book, this totally makes up for the Martial Arts Companion being out of print!!!!   Thank you, thank you, thank you.  The rules make more sense, and combat should go much faster now.

The Martial Arts Companion was a HUGE inspiration for the style rules. However, I wanted something that included specific individual moves and allowed for interesting combats.

Plus it has the added benefits of still allowing basic striking and parrying without requiring any special moves or styles.

Vroomfogle was a huge help in giving feedback and helping me work it out.

Now, I have received a PM by somebody who is unable to figure out where to sign up for Notification so that they receive an email when we update the PDF.

I am attaching a screen shot of the page for the PDF of Combat Companion. The big red arrow points to where you sign up to be Notified.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dutch206

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 01:04:58 AM »
All together now...."When do the new CharGen Excel Character sheets for RMC come out?"   ::)

Offline thrud

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »
Hmm, I actually have a Excel sheet for RMC...
I just haven't had the stamina to enter all the racial data as of yet. :P