Author Topic: Caestus  (Read 2750 times)

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Caestus
« on: February 02, 2008, 03:28:39 AM »
Hi there.

Last days i've read a latin detective story. And there the author wrote on the caestus/caesti.

How do i handle something in HARP? Any ideas for a (near ML) rule for it? It is an ancient battle glove, used for attacks (added metal parts, including spikes, studs and iron plates) and protection. (the hero of the novel used it for parry/DB while he's fighting with his dagger in his other hand)

Like a sai? IE use of unarmed + dagger as a TWC? Weapon & shield?

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
Re: Caestus
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 07:01:41 AM »
My recommendation would be to make it a new weapon, but since it is so unique it would require its own Weapon Class (making the skill to use it limited - but you could allow the bonus from this to be used for brawling at -10)

This weapon would allow parry (though I would make it a 2:1 - every 2 OB applied, would gain 1 DB).

If you want to use this and a dagger it would be handled strictly as TWC since you could suddenly strike with that hand for a second attack.

Fumble Range 01-02
Small Crush

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 07:07:38 AM »
In RM's Martial Arts Companion the Cestus IIRC made unarmed attacks to one degree greater damage. In HARP terms e.g. Medium instead of Small attacks.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
I would agree with Ecthlion, have it increase attack size by 1, and also allow it be used to parry attacks.

Depending upon its construction, it might also give a bonus to damage (i.e. +5 to determining damage -- i.e. it gets added after you determine whether or not you hit).

Skill would be the same for any unarmed or martial arts attack.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 10:50:59 AM »
So a monk using this would do large martial art attacks?
That is if my recollection of monks doing medium MA attacks is correct to begin with.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »
Personally I would have the Caestus increase the attack size to Medium but not beyond. So a non-Monk would be able to do Medium attacks instead of Small, but a Monk would still do Medium Attacks, perhaps with a +5 to OB, but not Large attacks. Otherwise the item is too powerful IMO.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »
This is the reason why I made it a new weapon and not just a bonus to a previous skill.
`
The other reason to make it it's own skill is because a character trained in a specific martial arts strike style should not be able to put on this spiked glove and suddenly be more effective with the huge advantage of parrying on top.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 12:26:40 PM by Chosen GM - TJones67 »
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com