Author Topic: Clarification on "Armor by the piece"...  (Read 2599 times)

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Clarification on "Armor by the piece"...
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:18:45 AM »
I have a couple things I want to ask about purchasing and applying armor by the piece.  The following questions only take into account the HARP core book and do not include concepts from Martial Law.

First, are "paired" items (pauldrons, gauntlets, boots, etc) sold (price and weight) and statted (MP and CP) by the pair or in singles?  If sold in pairs would it be reasonable to simply split the numbers in half to represent wearing only one of an item (a gauntlet, greave, and pauldron on just the weapon arm was common in Roman gladiators)?

Second, when attacking a location with or without armor (using hit locations) do you simply count the DB provided by the armor when attacking a location with armor and ignore the DB provided by any armor when attacking a location without the armor?  In other words, do you only count the DB provided by any armor for the specific location attacked?  I'm not sure if this is stated outright in the core book so I'm simply assuming this is the case.  Otherwise there would be no real point to hit locations.  ;)

Thanks in advance for any help!
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Clarification on "Armor by the piece"...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2008, 07:29:41 AM »
First, are "paired" items (pauldrons, gauntlets, boots, etc) sold (price and weight) and statted (MP and CP) by the pair or in singles?  If sold in pairs would it be reasonable to simply split the numbers in half to represent wearing only one of an item (a gauntlet, greave, and pauldron on just the weapon arm was common in Roman gladiators)?

by the pair, and I would presume so on splitting them. Or maybe go 60/40 for prime hand/off-hand.

Second, when attacking a location with or without armor (using hit locations) do you simply count the DB provided by the armor when attacking a location with  armor and ignore the DB provided by any armor when attacking a location without the armor?  In other words, do you only count the DB provided by any armor for the specific location attacked?  I'm not sure if this is stated outright in the core book so I'm simply assuming this is the case.  Otherwise there would be no real point to hit locations.

No, you always count the person's full DB. Quite simply, they are not standing still while you smack them, and while you are attempting to hit a given location, there is no guarantee that you will succeed. The DB from armor represents an overall protective value of the armor worn, not specific protection against attacks on that specific location.

The point to hit locations is to do specific damage to that location. You still have to get past the defender's defenses to be able to do that.

Offline GMLovlie

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • For the future I only hope...
    • Jegergryte's cubic box of stuff
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 03:37:33 PM »
If you?re using ML armour adjustment rules, they would apply by the piece/location though, at least that?s my take on it.

The ML armour adjustment rules work well with H&S too.
"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

Homebrew folder
Ongoing campaign
Inspirational images for my games
My box of stuff

Offline GoblynByte

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 04:45:03 PM »
No, you always count the person's full DB. Quite simply, they are not standing still while you smack them, and while you are attempting to hit a given location, there is no guarantee that you will succeed. The DB from armor represents an overall protective value of the armor worn, not specific protection against attacks on that specific location.

The point to hit locations is to do specific damage to that location. You still have to get past the defender's defenses to be able to do that.

So, in other words, hit location, using just the core book, holds little advantage beyond adding flavor to the injuries.  I'm not complaining (I find that very useful, in fact).  I'm just clarifying.  :D
A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
--Stephen Crain