Author Topic: Called Shots - Another Method  (Read 2506 times)

Offline DavidKlecker

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Everything is coming up Milhouse!
Called Shots - Another Method
« on: January 26, 2008, 10:15:48 AM »
What do people think of this idea for Called Shots in Harp

All combat is the same except player must call for a called shot before attack. All Called Shots take away -20 from the attack. Starting a rank 10 for the weapon the player can remove 5 from this penalty. For every 10 ranks the player can remove another 5 until the penalty is 0.

If player calls for a called shot they roll in addition to their attack another set of 1D100 dice with the following convention

10's die:
1, 2, 3, 4 = Torso
5 = Left Leg
6 = Right Leg
7 = Left Arm
8 = Right Arm
9 = Head
10 = Special

1's die
1 = +10 to attack
2 = +20 to attack
3 = +30 to attack
4 = +50 to attack
5 = Left Foot
6 = Right Foot
7 = Left Hand
8 = Right Hand
9 = Neck
10 = Special

The shot will hit based on the result of this roll.

The 10's die is the main die for location. The 1's die is used only when the 10's die gives the result of Special. Unless a special is rolled on the 10's die the 1's die is ignored.

The bonuses can ignore weapon caps.

If two specials are rolled (perfect 100) then the shot is called a death blow. Regardless of armor worn, or magic used this shot kills whomever was the target.

The following conventions are used based on location hit

Torso: no change in critical
Leg: If penalty, double the penalty
Arm: If penalty, multiply by 1.5
Head: If stunned, double the stun.
Foot: Leg penalty is implied. If penalty over 75, foot is useless, broken, whathaveyou. If Penalty, target drops and is down for next attack. Can roll SD to remain standing. Take Stat value, subtract penalties. If result is over 100 target succeeds in standing.
Hand: Arm penalties are implied. If penalty over 75, hand is useless, broken, whathaveyou. If penalty anything in hand is dropped. Can roll SD to remain holding onto item. Take Stat value, subtract penalties. If result is over 100 target succeeds in holding onto item.
Neck: Triple any bleeding hits.
Special+Special: Death blow: Target is dead. Period.

Why this method?

I rather don't like the idea that parts of the body are equally random. I like having targets that are more lethal to have a harder chance of hitting. Since the Torso is the likely spot for any attack to hit I have that as the common result. The following are the chances of hitting that part of the body.

Torso: 40%
Leg: 20%
Arm: 20%
Head: 10%
Critical Bonus: 4%
Foot: 2%
Hand: 2%
Neck: 1%
Death Blow: 1%

I find this to be a fair and balanced chance system. Do you?

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Re: Called Shots - Another Method
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 02:57:38 PM »
Honestly...
It looks like a lot more work and rolling than I would care for.
But if it works for you... ;D
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 03:30:26 PM »
I am not sure that the torso is the most likely target. I think the easiest things to hit are arms and legs. The torso is certainly the biggest target, but it is also 'covered' by arms, weapons and shields and thus, not so easy to hit.
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline lorenen

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • from the pits of T'is K'ali to the starclad sky..
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:56:52 AM »
i agree with fidoric..  size of body part its the most important thing regarding chance to hit. every combat style, school or method involve learning how to protect you vital parts.. torso and head.

Most fighting styles put your body in 45? or similar stance that reduce the amount of torso exposed to your enemy.. this is bringed to extremes in italian and spanish sword fighting styles in which you're fighting by side exposing nearly nothing of your torso.

Most probably targets are hands and forearms, shoulder is probably the next with upper leg  ;)

Italian fanzine for the d100 rpg