Author Topic: Fire and Ice: Elemental Companion Questions  (Read 5237 times)

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Fire and Ice: Elemental Companion Questions
« on: January 25, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
Cheers all..
I'm playing a Elemental Priest in RMFRP game.  The GM and I have a few questions.

1. The Elemental Gate Mastery spell list has the spell Elemental Gate I.  The spell desc. says it opens a gate to an elemental plane and draws either a type I, type II or type III elemental through (determined by roll), however it dosen't clarify what type of elemental.  In the case of Type I there are Elemental Whisplings and Servant, along with hybrid elemental animals (described in the book to also live on the elemental planes).. Type II opens the door to Artificial Elemental as well (Elemental Steeds).  We've been using the rolls listed in the Summon Elemental I from the Elemental Summons list (these spells only summon a specific type and g
gives roll ranges to determine what type of elemental you summon) but I'm not sure that that's correct.

2.  Gated elementals are made of high elemental material and "corrupt anything they touch".  People and items must make a RR or be corrupted, resulting in damage or possibly an elemental explosion.  Most of these elementals walk on the ground, does this mean they leave a path of elemental destruction everywhere they walk?

3. The Elemental Weapons spell list has the spell Elemental Sheath I that protects the casters sheath from the effects of a weapon with Elemental Corruption.  This spell lasts only 10 min/lvl.  Was this an error, or must the owner of an elemental weapon cast this spell a number of times each day or have his weapon eat through it's sheath.  Further what about the rest of professions that don't have access to this spell.  Can they never sheath their weapons?  Or must sheaths be specially made of elementally resistant material (a rubber sheath for a lightning sword, heat resistant metal and insulation for a fire sword)...

4.  A more general question (probably a duhh one).  Are they're any limits to the number of magic items a PC can use simultaneously?  Could an elemental crafter or magical crafter simply create a ton of magical items (given access to source material, workshop and time) and excessively buff up his character?

Thanks for all the help guys!
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
Re: Fire and Ice: Elemental Companion Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 02:48:47 AM »
1. The Elemental Gate Mastery spell list has the spell Elemental Gate I.  The spell desc. says it opens a gate to an elemental plane and draws either a type I, type II or type III elemental through (determined by roll), however it dosen't clarify what type of elemental.  In the case of Type I there are Elemental Whisplings and Servant, along with hybrid elemental animals (described in the book to also live on the elemental planes).. Type II opens the door to Artificial Elemental as well (Elemental Steeds).  We've been using the rolls listed in the Summon Elemental I from the Elemental Summons list (these spells only summon a specific type and g
gives roll ranges to determine what type of elemental you summon) but I'm not sure that that's correct.

We ruled that this spell gate only "entities" (not hybrids), but I see no problem in using your method.

2.  Gated elementals are made of high elemental material and "corrupt anything they touch".  People and items must make a RR or be corrupted, resulting in damage or possibly an elemental explosion.  Most of these elementals walk on the ground, does this mean they leave a path of elemental destruction everywhere they walk?

IMHO yes, they do!  :flame:

3. The Elemental Weapons spell list has the spell Elemental Sheath I that protects the casters sheath from the effects of a weapon with Elemental Corruption.  This spell lasts only 10 min/lvl.  Was this an error, or must the owner of an elemental weapon cast this spell a number of times each day or have his weapon eat through it's sheath.  Further what about the rest of professions that don't have access to this spell.  Can they never sheath their weapons?  Or must sheaths be specially made of elementally resistant material (a rubber sheath for a lightning sword, heat resistant metal and insulation for a fire sword)...

I dont' know if the duration of the spell was an error or not, but surely without a properly enchantement every sheat in which an elemental weapon is put will be destroyed by the weapon's aura.

4.  A more general question (probably a duhh one).  Are they're any limits to the number of magic items a PC can use simultaneously?  Could an elemental crafter or magical crafter simply create a ton of magical items (given access to source material, workshop and time) and excessively buff up his character?

You can use every magical item you have, there's no limit to their number. Just remember that you can cast only one spell each round (even if it comes from a magic item, unless it is sentient). Obvioulsy you can't wield more than 2 magical weapons (unless you have more than 2 arms  :)) or wear more than one magical armor...
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline Temujin

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 01:23:40 AM »
In regards to Elemental corruption from exposure to gated elemental creatures, yes it does work.  However, different elements have different rules (or specific, timeframe) for corruption to set in.  Iirc, the more stable elements (such as earth) tend to corrupt nearby material very slowly, so while a different attack might call for a saving throw, an elemental that simply walks on the ground and doesn't stick in an area for a lenght of time probably won't corrupt the mundane earth.  A fire elemental, on the other hand...

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
I had a thought about elementally corrupted weapons and sheaths.

Depending on the factor points put into aura, weapons can either add elemental crits or, as more factor points are added replace the weapons regular crits with elemental crits.  When the aura is maxed out (assuming the physical memory spell hasn't been cast), the weapon no longer does normal crits, and the blade is totally composed of elemental energy.  The weapon becomes more like a light-saber; the hilt is always there, but the blade only forms when it's wielded.

I thought lower level points in aura should be the same; they're only activated by wielding the blade.  So when it's maxed, the blade forms when held, when it's not maxed the blade just charges with elemental energy when held, and is otherwise not 'powered up'.

I realize this kinda makes the Elemental Sheath I spell mostly useless... but it seems messed up to me that a Elemental Champion can create an elemental weapon that he can't carry without the help of someone else to magically enchant his sheath.
Otherwise said champion would have to carry his weapon everywhere, couldn't sheath it to walk, couldn't set it down to sleep and so on.
The day that our schools are well funded and the Airforce has to hold a bake sale to buy a new bomber, will be a good day!

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »
 I do not remember for sure but I thought the author said this was for play balance purposes. I do not have the spell list in frount of me and I have not looked at it in quite a while. But do not the spell lists give addded benifits at lower levels then other lists?
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »
You guys never ask questions about anything I've written in that book, you know that?  :)

I think you're all going on the assumption that corrupted weapons are make of High Materials that are pure enough to corrupt.  I don't see how that's possible.  Correct me if someone see's a comment otherwise, but even the highest auras don't have any mention of being HEM.
The Echoes of Heaven:  Available for HARP and Rolemaster.  www.FinalRedoubt.com

Offline Joshua24601

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
Apologies Defendi, what books should I ask questions about!?!

The text of Elemental Sheath I is :Caster?s sheath is immune to the effects of a weapon with Elemental Corruption or that is under the effects of an Elemental Aura.

So corruption isn't an issue with weapons, just that aura of a fire imbued weapon lights the blade on fire, and that would have a detrimental effect on a sheath...

As far as the corruption issue.. that has to do with gated Elementals (not summoned).  So far as I know weapons can't corrupt, the act of infusing items changes the type of material, it dosen't transform it into high elemental material capable of corruption.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:22:39 PM »
You can ask about any books you want, I just almost never get questions on the sections of this book I actually wrote.  :)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 10:13:22 PM »
You can ask about any books you want, I just almost never get questions on the sections of this book I actually wrote.  :)

That is either really good or really bad.
I will take the good.
MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Arioch

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Blood & Souls for Arioch!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 03:14:42 AM »
The text of Elemental Sheath I is :Caster?s sheath is immune to the effects of a weapon with Elemental Corruption or that is under the effects of an Elemental Aura.

I've noticed that the spell is called Elemental Sheat I, but there's not an Elemental Sheat II or similar... So maybe it's an errata (author intended to make higher level version of the spell which lasted longer, but then changed idea). It would be cool if we could ask the author but, from what I understand, it's not possible to contact him.

I suggest to change the spell in either:

a) Elemental Sheat: Caster?s sheath is immune to the effects of a weapon with Elemental Corruption or that is under the effects of an Elemental Nimbus spell.

b) change the duration of the spell: IMHO it would be ok to make it Permanent or, at least, with a duration of 1 day/ level
I suppose a magician might, he admitted, but a gentleman never could.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 03:51:19 AM »
 Or make it possible to elementally enchant a sheath to with stand the weapons corruption.

MDC
Role Play not Roll Play.

Offline Defendi

• Final Redoubt
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Final Redoubt Press
    • Final Redoubt Press
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 02:01:42 PM »
Arioch:  Lyn didn't intend a higher spell.  He probably just thought he was going to do one when he was filling in the list.

Mark:  They don't need to withstand corruption.

Offline lynmortensen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 08:01:28 PM »
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I ran across it so I'll answer. 

The point is that a champion has more control of their personal weapons and armors and can typically avoid results on their rolls that would cause the item to be a sheath destroyer if that was important to them.  Although a warrior who sticks their fire sword in the fire pit every night can be entertaining.

Also take each element on a case by case basis for instance the Aura trait on a Earth, Air or Light weapon would not adversely affect a leather sheath.   However fire (3 pts Aura), ice (3 pts Aura), and water (2 pts Aura) could.

The spells main intent would be for an Elemental champion to be able to pickup, wield and sheath items that others could not.