Author Topic: Armor types and exhaustion points  (Read 3112 times)

rego

Armor types and exhaustion points
« on: January 19, 2008, 07:14:29 PM »
Hi, i have this question...
do you spend more exhaustion points if you have an higher AT?
i read in the ooooooooold arms companion that for AT 20 is exhaustion-point-required-for-the-action*3, but a friend of mine say it's only +3....

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: Armor types and exhaustion points
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
More ext used is an optional rule, as is everything in the old Arms Companion.

I remember the table you mention.  Normal ext expenditure is 1/2pt a round, so a multiple of 3 could be very reasonable, especially when you recall how fast ext points are recovered (a few minutes of rest will put your average high Co fighter back at full).

lynn
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 02:43:28 AM »
 Yammahoper,
 You are right as the old Arms Comp is very optional for RMSS/FRP as it is for RM2/C.

IMO you should ask your GM first. Second would be to show him the stuff in the book and state your case. Third we can help you stait your case but we should know what rules you are using as they can make a big difference. Also I have heard of many house rules in use for ExP's and actions, load, movement, lack of sleep, spell effects, etc.

From what I remember ExP is 1/2 pt per round for light and med wepons and 1pt for heavy weapons. You exert more points for actions such as running and carrying heavy loads.

I can also tell you ExP's are one of the rules frequently ignored by GM's playing RMSS/FRP as it is a lot of bookkeeping unless you are using a computerized combat tracker to aid in all the number crunching.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Balhirath

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 04:48:39 AM »
Yep :)
I ignore it all the time, since I feel that the book keeping is more trouble than it's worth.
But then again, I dont use a computerized combat tracker of any kind :)
I'm new here, but have played RM2 on and off for 20 years. :)

Offline Grinnen Baeritt

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 06:07:05 AM »
Since their are quickness penalties and MM penalties associated with the wearing of armour... it is sort of already factored in.

M/M penalties mean that the character has less chance of achieving the same distance in the same time as one not wearing armour. To do so (i.e. keep up with an unarmoured person) means travelling at a higher pace to achieve the same distance covered. Moving at a higher pace increases Exhaustion point expenditure..

Obviously this only really factors in IF you are using the Exhp rules, and generally only in cases where great distances need to be covered in a set time...or in a chase situation. Otherwise it is assumed that other party members move at the slowest rate whilst travelling...

Something that isn't factored in is the heat effects on exhaustion when wearing armour, even whilst motionless.

rego

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:55:29 AM »
i've just seen in School of Hard Knocks, reading the Armor skill:
Exhaustion point costs: soft leather 1x, rigid leather 1.5x, chain 2x, plate 3x
so maybe isn't an optional rule?
or is the multiplier(x2,x3..) used only when you use armor skill for mouving maneuvre,and not to multiply the ex points required for a melee action?

Offline Walt

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »
I hate this bookkeeping of ExP! And last Saturday my player asked why I learned for his charakter Endurance when we don?t play with ExP. He made a good point. (this I even hate more!)

So, are there any sensible, smart solutions for the bookkeeping?
And are there any kind of new rules for ExP? Because if it?s still 1/2 ExP per combat round even if you are wearing full plate I will come to the same conclusion - dump it.

Offline Dax

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 02:26:20 PM »
Exhaustion nightmare:

Perhaps you find this useful:

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=775.msg9975#msg9975

http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=2425.0
R.I.P.    rpgrm.com

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 06:53:23 AM »
I think encumbrance rules are used for that. Remember that QU penalty is applied (added) to encumbrance penalty, and modified by ST.

So this limit directly your movement rate, maneuvers, etc. As you need more pace rate to move the same distance, you spend more EPs.