Author Topic: Something Wicked  (Read 6999 times)

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Something Wicked
« on: January 09, 2008, 01:03:43 PM »
First: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL FOLKS

Dear Nicholas,
I've read your thread on Guild CO about SW for 2008...
You want some suggestions for this product...and I have some suggestions...
- rules for summoning demons: not by spells but rituals because these monsters are powerful and diabolist must sell his soul before speaking with Lucifer...
- rules for creating demons (like in Stormbringer, Warhammer or Agone [a very good French RPG]), thus a diabolist summons demons for his need and not only combat...I think that demons should be treated like Devas or spirits and not only creatures of flesh...
- stats for generic demons from myths like wendigos,
- stats for demon lords (not in Monster: a field guide)... Sith? Maleskari? or judeo/christian/muslim mythology...
- stats for new undead like poltergeists, or those like RM...
- dark magic like voodoo, possession, sorcery (like in old european tradition: to spoil harvest, rain of frogs, diseases on animals...with unholy crit (to balance H'N'S with holy crit...)...a magic not for combats but to waste the life of your neighbourhood like in the Middle ages belief...
- introduce the Hell: how to go in, with hidden gates on earth, who rules this awful place?, hierarchy of demons...
- strange and cursed places: old and dark wood, old cimetery, hauted manor with Evil impregnate these places (Amityville house?)
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Something Wicked
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 02:55:51 PM »
I know this is about suggestions but I would still like to comment and would prefer NOT to have a hell fleshed out as this then become too planescapesque in my opinion. Hell just as another playable campaign world with demonic hierarchy (point two) that can be used and misused as well. I'd prefer to keep demons hierarchie, if there is such a thing something really demonic and alien, not understandable by human minds. However, I know that this is just my opinion but wanted to state it.

The other suggestions are excellent, especially the one about summoning rituals (maybe this infamous ritual of black eternity and the one to summon the Wild Hunt would be great, although I see that the latter is not truely demonic and might not belong into this book).
A few cursed places might be really nice, I see, however, that this might be something that you could easily "outsource" to TGC or TGA.

More undead AND undead templates would be really nice. I would in fact prefer templates as they are a REALLY useful addition to the game IMHO.

I would also like to see the homunculus return as well as True Familiars. Return is not the right word, I would like to see them reinvented.

Also, some really good background information and system suggestions on payment (soul, blood, virgins, etc.) would be nice to see. This could help to handle it in-game.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Darkeen's Battlefield - still going strong.
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:31:33 PM »
HI M8unchy,

I thought the Ritual of Black eternity (RMC Companion I) was a spell(actually it was described more like a ritual) that allowed the caster to become a Lich - spell failure meant final death - a "Special" spell effect.

Personally I would like to see one example of a RMC Hell/alternate Plane.
I would like to see it as I am interested in other planar travels and almost always end up using DnD ideas for my own homebrew campaigns. With an ICE plane I could use that idea and get ICE realms of existence!

Basic points I'd like to see:
- where elf demons / human demons come from (these are typically RMC monsters but I'd like to see them in HARP). (these are easiest to convert - a demonic template?)
- other RMC demons  and their existence.
- Yes, Demon Lords - although IIRC ICE wasnt going to do anythnig for high level demons - but I'd like to see an overview of what they think/their plans - the Cyradon gazeteer #1 had fantastic ideas about the evil Black dragon - Id like to see something along these lines...
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer
Author of "The Ruins of Kausur"
http://roleplayingapps.wordpress.com

Offline Thos

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
I would like to see a perhaps, half demonic race for player characters. Maybe even a few of them...
My wizards are many, but their essence is mine. Forever they are in the hills in their stone homes of grief. Because I am the spirit of their existence. I am them.

Offline buddha

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 07:36:55 AM »
I second the request for stuff like the Ritual of Dark Eternity.
Gaute Gunleiksrud

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
it is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,
the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning,
[I am in control of my addiction!]
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline pming

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 12:35:26 PM »
Hiya.

I'd rather see something much more "tool-kit generic" for GM's. A book about "The Planes" that had basic info and rules that a GM could use to mix-n-match what he needs for his own campaign world. For example, various "blood of..." talents, some extra Aspects for spells (like "Demonic" or "Angelic", being an aspect that gives the spell power from 'bad' or 'good' planes), skills, perhaps a couple new materials (poisons, metals, plants, etc.). That kind of thing.

Basically, I don't want a RULE book to say "This is what Hell is like. This is what Heaven is like.", all with specifics in exactly how things work, how they are set up, etc. Not everyone has the same 'idea' of these places and I'd rather see more generic stuff for everyones use than specific stuff that I (and others) would have to go through and house rule or pick and choose what to use or not use.

^_^

"-30C? That's not too cold....now, -52C...THAT's cold."

--Me, said to a visitor to my city.

Offline John Duffield

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Life often teaches what we don't want to learn
    • Ennyn
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 03:57:54 PM »
I'd like to see :

Templates for demonic and undead and rules/guidelines for creating new ones
Rules for planar travel (and spells to support it)
Agree with all the summoning and rituals info - definitely a plus - as well as the payments idea

Overall the book should be a toolkit to help us create our vision of how demons and devils work, their powers and hierarchy.
My website : Ennyn

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 04:16:21 PM »
  Basically, I don't want a RULE book to say "This is what Hell is like. This is what Heaven is like.", all with specifics in exactly how things work, how they are set up, etc. Not everyone has the same 'idea' of these places and I'd rather see more generic stuff for everyones use than specific stuff that I (and others) would have to go through and house rule or pick and choose what to use or not use.

Seconded.
A book with different ideas, and variations of what you can do would be better than a Rulebook of "The Planes in ICE worlds". BUT I would like to see one chapter dedicated to what the HARP Planes are and how they work. I simply couldn't understand how the planes work in HARP: how they are aligned; how you get from one to the other; how demons get "called/summoned" through the miasma; etc... A Chapter to describe the basic functionality of how HARP structures its world planes - sort of like what they did for COM in regards to Natural spells, etc...

--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 04:54:12 AM »
Something that is probably quite easy to convert from RM but I am too lazy to do and also would like to see in a HARP book with official ruling would be some rule in demonic possession and especially infusion (similar to the Oni Blood in the RM2 Oriental Companion).
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:54 AM »
I'm agree with you Munchy: I don't want Hell like a world where heroes go and kill handful of demons...but infos about the layers and who rules this place is interesting...
New powers for demons...like those in the Monsters: a field guide
New demonic magical items
Rule for possession...and exorcism
Troll humour:
"What would You say to a Dwarf with 12 helmets on? Nothin', you just hit him in the stomach instead! Ugh,Ugh"
"Why did the Dwarf cross the road? Because I said if he didn't I'd cut off his feet and stick them up his nose!Ugh,Ugh"
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline SamwiseSeven

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Tim
    • Tim's RPG YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:43:42 PM »
I would like to see more of a spiritual demon than a physical one, that can possess creatures in various ways.  Maybe certain types of humanoids are immune to certain demonic attacks or certain types of demons/devils, or humanoids that have gone through certain religious rituals (ie baptism, communion, ritual scarring, etc.) are immune to the weaker demons, but subject to the stronger ones higher up in the hierarchy.

I would prefer made up names for fantasy versions of demons, instead of using real world names from various religions, as personally I think that's a little too creepy to use real world names.

I would like to see some rules on exorcism, as I think that would add some nice flair to a game.  Many real world cultures have exorcism rites, so maybe various rituals with the same goal (free the person from their grip) would be good. 

Demonic possession and exorcisms are scary (see movies dealing with the topic, or real world examples) as it represents a call to an older time and older belief, where today in our "civilized world" demons are explained away by science and abnormal psychology as a general belief, even though many people still believe in their existence. 

I think the scariest thing as a possessed person would be knowing they are there and not be able to do anything about it, or remove them, as they have taken control of your body.  I think that another humanoid, or humanoids would have to perform the ritual as you can't remove them yourself once they are already in place.

Also once removed, demons will want to return to their original host, and when they return, they will bring more of their kind with them, normally much stronger, to occupy the same host again.  You can clean the house, but they will always want to return.  So for one that has had an exorcism, they must stay on the watch, and live by the tenets of their religion to not become possessed again.

Also spiritual attacks on those that are trying to perform the exorcism would be good.  Recurring nightmares/night terrors, the loss of certain motor functions during the attack or waking up from dreams, hearing growling evil multiple voices, having evil thoughts placed in your mind, curses that must be resisted, being haunted by them, and having general "bad luck" from demonic influence in the world.

For those performing the exorcism perhaps there are certain names when uttered thwart certain demonic attacks (this would be different for each religion).  Normally the name of the God(s) they worship, or certain quotations from religious texts would be examples based on whatever fantasy religions would be made up for it.  Normally quotations about exorcism would be used, but also other ones work as well.

Laying on of hands, prayer, fasting, reading religious quotations, holy water, holy oil, smoke, and other similar things would be needed.

(Sorry if this is too much real world stuff, but I have had some weird experiences in my life in this area with my brother).

For example, I don't think demons should ever be able to be "killed."  You can defeat them by scaring them away (names of God, religious text quotations, prayer, fasting, etc.) or removing them from whatever host they are occupying at the time by exorcism.

Just some thoughts, though to be honest, I normally stay away from books dealing with the topic.

Have fun coming up with ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/samwise7rpg

Offline black flag

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2008, 01:25:02 AM »
Agree with You, after all demons are like spirits (see the shaman) but can take physical forms (like Devas) that can be "killed", but not the soul...
I think that their bodies are like ectoplasms and truly horrid for evil ones...
I think that we have a judeo/christian point of view about demons...in others cultures they're good, neutral or evil...in D&D for example, Pazuzu is truly evil but in his formal myth He protects folks against diseases...but can punish equally...
For me I don't see the problem with names from our religious cultures...

Troll humour:
From Titan the Fighting&

Offline jasonbrisbane

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Darkeen's Battlefield
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2008, 04:25:11 PM »
I've always thought of "Demons that can inhabit Bodies" in the atypical Shamanistic sense as Undead.
But I would still like to see this in Something Wicked. It still applies no matter how you interpret the Spirits.
--------
Regards,
Jason Brisbane
HARP GM & Freelancer

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »
Many thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Some were already in the outline; some of the others are sufficiently worthy that they'll certainly go into the feasibility phase where I wrestle with concepts to see if they have what it takes to produce the material. A few are currently marked as "maybes" where I'll see how the rest of the material is working out before making my mind up on them. A couple of suggestions have been definitely excluded for diverse reasons.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »
ROFL!!  Nick's reply is the 13th reply.... I would say that that is an auspicious number, especially considering the topic of the product... hehe

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2008, 01:50:17 PM »
And just what does "ROFL" means exactly ?
Now there's a plan : we go there, we blast him, we come back...
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2008, 02:07:39 PM »
ROFL == Rolling on floor laughing.....

In other words, I thought the coincidence to be hilarious.   :laugh1:

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I wonder if it could be useful for some of us to have a lexicon of those colorful but sometimes obscure abbreviations... Mayb ea new thread ?
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2008, 02:49:14 PM »
I thought we had one already...

Offline Fidoric

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
Sorry, searching through the archives, I've unearthed this link to wikipedia : http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Internet_slang
Maybe it can be of some help for some others.
Fighters forever !
Heart of steel.