Author Topic: Spell Casting and Low Open Ending  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Geoste

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Geoste.Com
Spell Casting and Low Open Ending
« on: December 15, 2007, 12:14:56 AM »
This is an RMFRP question to be precise.

There has been a question raised in my group about Automatic casting and Non-Automatic casting. The question is about Low Open Ending your roll.

For Automatic casting, the spell fails on a natural 01 or 02. However, by the wording of the rest of the text seems to be that this threshold applies for non-automatic spells as well, until you look at the text that says it is indeed an open-ended roll (pg 46).

So is it that for Non-Automatic spells, the Low Open End is the usual 01-05 range (roll again, subtract, but add modifiers), and the 01-02 is an automatic failure regardless of bonuses? Or is it something else entirely?

Thanks in advance for any help!

EDIT:
In regards to this, after thinking about it, my thoughts are this:

Low Open End: if you roll 04, and then roll 01, you'd have a total of 3. If your bonuses carry you to above the 26+ mark, then your spell goes off as per the table results. You rolled badly, yes, but your bonuses saved you. Low Open End does not mean "fumble", unless your total has brought to 25 or below. However...

01-02: if you naturally roll this, then you've got yourself an automatic fumble/failure.

Am I off the mark?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 12:22:05 AM by Geoste »

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Spell Casting and Low Open Ending
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:24:43 AM »
 You are absolutly right in you thought process and how I use the rule. 01-02 auto fumble but if your open-end low roll gets you above the right number your spell simply fails to go off.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Dark Schneider

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • El único, genial e inimitable Dark Schneider.
Re: Spell Casting and Low Open Ending
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 04:32:52 AM »
I think is an usual open-ended roll, so the 01-02 auto-failure is not used, in the other side see that the risk is incremented as a low-ended roll begin with 5.

Remember that after SCSM, you must roll the BAR, where the 01-02 is used, so you shouldn't use it twice (in SCSM and BAR).