Author Topic: Animal Forms  (Read 3143 times)

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
Animal Forms
« on: October 25, 2007, 06:02:13 PM »
Animal Forms spell, HARP core book, page 115...

May be scaled to gain animal's physical attacks... what do I use for OB?... but read farther...

The note says that a PC may develop ranks in a particular animals physical attack by taking ranks in a special Martial Arts Combat Style.

So, if a PC does not develop ranks in a martial arts style, does this mean even if he scales to gain the physical attacks, he still cannot use them?
and, consequently, does this mean the only way to get physical attacks, even with scaling, is to develop Martial Arts style? ??? ???

Thanks your thoughts,
RWW
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Animal Forms
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 02:31:22 AM »
It's same as 'natural weapon' or even 'nature's strength'.

You develop MA-Bites or MA-Strikes/Claw (natural weapon - perhaps multiple weapon talent for different claws) or use Agility+Strength (nature's strength - "his Martial Arts
skill bonus if he has one, or else he uses just his melee
stat bonuses (Strength and Agility) with no modifier
for lack of skill.")

Thats the way our group handle this spell.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 02:33:36 AM »
Well, I would say he could use them but unskilled, with a -25 to them as with any other skill.
I also find this a bit difficult but on the other hand, if you go the DnD-like way a druid or animal form cleric wouldn't really bother with developing another weapon skill than the one he needs in his changed form.
I'm not sure whether combat is the real thing with this one, I always though of this spell in a more movement and sensory way. However, the problem with the combat remains.
I would opt, if you have him develop a martial arts skill for his animal form that this skill might be favoured for his favoured sort of attacking animal.

On the other hand, you could also go with the Werebeast approach and just say, if you use the scaling option to get the attacks of the beast, you are treated as the typical animal of you level. (Werebeasts are better but this is just the normal animal.)

What I missed was a "you can cast spells" scaling option which can be found in another very similar spell as far as I can remember. Or did I overread this one?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 08:56:26 AM »
I must be stoned today because I am having a hard time understanding the above answers. I am not even sure if they indeed answer my question... to be fair, after reading my own post, my question may not be clear.
Do I use the PC's OB or the OB of the animal changed into?
But if a PC uses the OB of the animal changed into, AND develops ranks in a MA skill, do we use his ranks OB, or add the OB to the animals OB?

Wow...I am getting confused just asking the question! ???

Example 1) PC scales spell to have physical attacks of an animal(doesn't matter which one), the PC does not have any ranks in a MA style... what do I use as his OB while in animal form?

Example 2) PC scales spell to have physical attacks of an animal(doesn't matter which one), the PC does have ranks in a MA style... how do I determine his OB?

Hope this is a little more clear...
Thanks
RWW
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 09:03:10 AM »
I must be stoned today because I am having a hard time understanding the above answers. I am not even sure if they indeed answer my question... to be fair, after reading my own post, my question may not be clear.
Do I use the PC's OB or the OB of the animal changed into?
But if a PC uses the OB of the animal changed into, AND develops ranks in a MA skill, do we use his ranks OB, or add the OB to the animals OB?

Wow...I am getting confused just asking the question! ???

Example 1) PC scales spell to have physical attacks of an animal(doesn't matter which one), the PC does not have any ranks in a MA style... what do I use as his OB while in animal form?

-25 for no skill + relevant stat bonuses. The PC has the potential to make the attack, but isn't very good at it.

Example 2) PC scales spell to have physical attacks of an animal(doesn't matter which one), the PC does have ranks in a MA style... how do I determine his OB?

Skill bonus of the appropriate Martial Arts style.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »
Example 1) I would say that you have no OB with the animals attacks. Only the -25 from not having a skill plus the stats.

Example 2) He HAS to have developed the attack type of the animal he is changing into, i.e. for a bear MA Claw or MA Bear Hug to be able to use a skill, i.e. THAT skill when making an attack of the animal's type.
Developing just any MA skill or MA style does not help at all!! It has to be the animals type of attack.

I hope this is clearer.
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 09:08:52 AM »
BINGO! ;D

Now I get it!
Yes, it makes perfect sense now...Thanks!!

RWW
www.strategypage.com