Author Topic: Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?  (Read 15337 times)

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Poll: Which versions of Rolemaster do you play?
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
 You could also think of it as a person doing a job and the T.E. lawyers are doing a complete job.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Cormac Doyle

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • RMC Team
    • The Aecyr Grene Campaign Setting
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2009, 07:04:39 PM »
Theres no point complaining about TE or why the current management of ICE want complete separation.

Howerver, I would point out that if you visit the TE website, you will see that they threaten to sue if you even accidentilly use even one of the terms they list (and it is very extensive) ... and unfortunately, they aren't joking

Even the term that get's green-ed out is offensive to them.

No point flogging a dead horse... and this one is well and truely dead.

Offline Marc R

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • "Don't throw stones, offer alternatives."
    • Looking for Online Roleplay? Try RealRoleplaying
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »
Looks like it's a close race between the systems.
Lumping togeather RM2/RMX/RMC and RMSS/RMFRP we get pretty close to a 50/50 split.
Guess why no-one is ever winning a "my system is better than yours" kind of argument...  ;D

(Poll results are a bit wonky, since the original poll was just the first three choices minus the word "mix" so almost all of the people who voted the two "mix" options the / was an "or" in the question they were answering.)
The Artist Formerly Known As LordMiller

Looking for online Role Play? Try WWW.RealRoleplaying.Com

Offline sulkow82

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • The truth is subversive.
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2009, 04:51:59 PM »
I would have to say RMSS/ RMFRP mix.   However, if the two (2) are 98% (or so) the same, then it is rather dubious distinction (in my mind).  However, I am presently building my world/ campaign using the RMFRP  PDFs as my base.
- Kantron
...formerly known as Kantron.

Offline Shottglazz

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Our Rolemaster Group
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
RM2 - changed the initiative system a tad, but otherwise pretty standard...
Shottglazz

Take my love, take my land, Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free - you can't take the sky from me.

Offline Jason Coplen

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2010, 10:16:41 PM »
RMC is it right now. If only I could get my players around to rp. It's tough these days.

Offline 80sGamerGeek

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2010, 11:15:21 PM »
Hello,

Been lurking around the boards for a while, but this is the first time I've posted.

I play RM2.  I have never tried RMSS, RMFRP, or HARP.  The newer editions of RM (I can't remember which came first, RMSS or RMFRP?) started coming out around the time that I joined the military.  I was stationed at a small base in Korea and couldn't find any players, so my gaming was reduced to nil and I saw no need to invest in a new edition (I preferred to spend all my pitiful soldier's pay on wine and women instead of gaming books).

Plus, around this time I was getting disillusioned with the RPG gaming companies.  Some (not ICE specifically, mind you) seemed to be taking their loyal customers (like me) for granted, cranking out tons of very bad product and assuming that we'd buy it anyway just because they put it out.  That put a bad taste in my mouth, so that when ICE came out with RMSS (or RMFRP, whichever it was) I had a kneejerk reaction ("Oh great!  Another company that's decided to stop producing a game I have supported for years so they can force me into buying it all over again in a new package!") and walked away from RM and RPG gaming for years.

I got back into gaming eventually, but most of it has been via PBEM (I live in a small town in a small county and have had no luck finding a gaming group) and none of that PBEMing has been in RM, so, again, I never saw a need to buy a newer edition.

From what I have seen written about the newer games here on these boards and in articles on Guild Companion, I think there are some interesting elements (I especially like HARP's scalable spells), but I doubt I will buy any of them.  I played RM2 for years and it always worked fine for me and my core group of players (with a little tinkering to make it fit our game worlds), so I don't really see a need to replace it (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!). 

Cheers,

Christian

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2010, 11:40:03 PM »
80sGammerGeek;
 Welcome to the ICE Forums.

MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline Gerrit

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2010, 03:37:14 PM »
Last year I played Rolemaster (the German translation of RM-FRP). Now I discovered HARP and I hope there will be a German translation, too (unfortunately my English skills are low).