Author Topic: Instantly Spells  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Spellsinger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Instantly Spells
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:28:48 AM »
When exactly happen the effects of instantly spells?

Right on the spot when the player wants it? Or not until
the players turn?

For example there are defensive spells which give a bonus
against melee or ranged attacks. At which time
exactly are these boni taken into account?

Thanks for help.

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Instantly Spells
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:56:29 AM »
When they are cast/declared -- however, be aware that doing that can cancel other things going on (like the casting of another spell).

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:04:44 AM »
Spellsinger, maybe you refer to timing in one round - if so, it resolves when it's the players "mini-turn", i.e. when it's his or her initiative.
Usually, players declare what they want to do, they *then* roll initiative and resolve what they're doing one by one. This reflects that a round lasts 2 seconds, so in all that chaos things might be a little mixed up (like you want to help your comrade next to you, start mumbling the spell, but he's dashing off after some foe).
[To keep things even more realistic, I use combat cards, so players declare their options by choosing a card, unknown to the others]

So, to extend on what Rasyr referred to: If said comrade has left, you can still switch to an action that takes 0 rounds - casting an instant spell, e.g.
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."

Offline Spellsinger

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 03:01:28 PM »
Sorry, I did not get it.

hmn, lets take a look at the Bladeturn spell (Warrior Mage). Caster may deflect one melee attack that he is aware of.

So a combat round would be like the following:

1. Monster declares attacking the Warrior Mage, WM declares Bladeturn spell.

Case A:
2. Initiative won by Monster
3. Resolve Action
- Monster Attacks and hits.
What now? does the Bladeturn work or
is the spell too late?

Case B:
2. Initiative won by WM:
3. Resolve Action
- Bladeturn Spell
Spell came first without an attack?
Is the spell lost?

Offline Rasyr-Mjolnir

• Inactive
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 03:28:19 PM »
The normal process, is declare actions and then resolve in order. You are considered to be performing that action from the time you declare it, until it is resolved (all in 2 seconds).

Therefore, if you declared that you were casting a spell (one that resolves this round), you would not be able to cast a bladeturn BEFORE your turn to act without losing the spell you were attempting to cast -- afterwards would be no problem.

If the action you were performing was anything else, then there is no problem. Since casting an instantaneous spell does not count against your actions for the round, it won't interrupt those other actions.

Hope that helps...

Dr_Sage

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »
If the action you were performing was anything else, then there is no problem. Since casting an instantaneous spell does not count against your actions for the round, it won't interrupt those other actions.

LOL

I was reading the other way around. Geez.

I thought Instantaneous Spells like Blade Turn were designed to:

* Be cast in response to some quick condition (say when a friend fall off a cliff, you can soften his fall). Never needing to be declared ahead.

* It replaced the action for the round. So if I declared a Fire Bolt, and suddenly I got attacked in melee range I could cast BladeTurn to save my ass. Therefore forfeighting the Fire Bolt.

Was I reading all wrong? ???

Offline janpmueller

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 06:34:55 AM »
No, Dr, I think you're right:
you would not be able to cast a bladeturn BEFORE your turn to act without losing the spell you were attempting to cast
Which means (if I remember my logics) that if you accept losing the spell you were attempting to cast, you CAN cast bladeturn instantaneously, so e.g. in response to danger, as you stated.

Spellsinger, sorry for my "explanation" above, I lost the topic "instant spell" somewhere and explained the combat round instead. Instant spells go off instantly.
"What's in the box?" - "Pain."