Author Topic: Circle of the Healer  (Read 4568 times)

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Circle of the Healer
« on: March 19, 2007, 06:03:53 PM »
I read through the Cleric?s, Vivamancer?s, and Druid?s spells and descriptions and all suggest or allow healers but none seems to have the right kind of spell selection for a true healer profession as you would encounter him in a Cadfael like cottage. So, I was wondering which spells he should have and here is what I have come up with so far. Question of course is, which spells to add, to make it a true profession?

Definitely in there:

1. Cure Disease
2. Cure Insanity
3. Herbal Enhancement
4. Major Healing
5. Lifekeeping
6. Neutralize Poison
7. Potion Magic
8. Rejuvenation
9. Restoration
10. Stabilize Elixier

I left ?Lifegiving? out on purpose because this seems to be something that is meant for the Cleric not the ?ordinary? healer ? although I?m still thinking about keeping it in with a requirement of having enough ranks in Major Healing and Lifekeeping for the highest scaling options as a means to show that the healer has truly understood the secret of life and is thus able to even re-spark life.

I?m also still unsure about the following spells ?Plant Healing?, ?Plant Growth?, and ?Plant Transformation?. If he has a herb garden ? which he probably will have as a healer ? ?Plant Growth? would make sense especially for herbs the stems of which are used but the question would be whether this is only growth in height or whether it also makes the plant ripen faster? Now, that would the kind of spell the herbalist would like to have, get a powerful healing herb to grow and ripen in the midst of winter in his house in order to be able to cure the whole village from a plague.
The ?Plant Healing? spells is somewhat similar as it would help him to heal not only the crops of the village although this is probably not really achievable with this spell but definitely enable him to heal a damaged growing herb in order to rip it from the soil somewhere and replant it in his home garden ? or to rejuvenate and re-spark the white tree in Minas Tirith but that?s another story.
?Plant Transformation? is a really difficult one as the question would be whether he is able to transform grass into for example Harfy or whether this would not work as this would allow special abilities. Still, this could be a really interesting spell if he has studied a lot of herbs ? he wouldn?t even need a herb garden, just good grown lawn.  On the other hand, you could opt for if a herb is changed into another herb it will have all the special powers of the new from if it had special powers in the old form ? thus grass wouldn?t gain anything in this process unless the spell is scaled but Harfy changed into Edram for example would. (On a side note this would also grant some financial benefits if you just say special powers yes allows special powers in new form ? thus you could turn cheap herbs into expensive ones ? for some time ? does the healing effect wear off or change when the duration is over  ? you see, lots of thought needs to be put into this spell.)

I was also thinking about ?Predict Weather? and maybe even some ?Control Weather? spells ? ?Mist? maybe even spells like ?Traceless Passing? if you have to collect your herbs from the surrounding environment which might be dangerous because of marauders or similar threats.
As he is connected with plants and stuff like that ?Tree Door? might be an option for him as well as ?Tree Skin? to cover his understanding of nature and allowing him to be a really good herb collector. However, here we come into the reaches of the Druid ? which in his description is also suggested to be a healer but doesn?t even have a healing spell (except minor healing from the Universal Sphere), herbal enhancement or potion spells which seem to be obvious choices for a herbalist healer as the druid would be one.

Anyway, for more spells. Understanding of nature might also allow spells like ?Water Breathing? and maybe even ?Water Movement? (or whatever it is called) from the Universal Sphere to collect herbs from ?unusual? places.
?Elemental Resistance? might be an idea if it can be used to protect you from getting wet in the rain or water, from the cold of the high reaches and even the heat of volcanic areas.

Obviously you are going to say, go with the Vivamancer spells but I don?t see a healer summoning and controlling beasts to cut something of them to get the parts healing abilities. The ?Summon Animal? spell might be an idea as those animals provide food, guidance, and protection in the wilds.
?Find Shelter? also springs to mind if he is the collector sort of person ?

What about defensive abilities if he is a ranger-druid-herbalist type of person?
Get Real, Get Rolemaster!
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Re: Circle of the Healer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »
Definitely in there:

1. Cure Disease
2. Cure Insanity
3. Herbal Enhancement
4. Major Healing
5. Lifekeeping
6. Neutralize Poison
7. Potion Magic
8. Rejuvenation
9. Restoration
10. Stabilize Elixier

Additional spells so far:

11. Lifegiving           (if secret of life is understood - whatever that means in game terms)

12. Freshen Potion   (as it is way cheaper than the stabilize spell and might be quite useful for a healer with a small store of potions)

13. Plant Healing      (as he wants to keep his healing herbs alive and wants to rejuvenate found herbs in the wilds ... might also be helpful if you have to dig a plant out and put it in your herb garden)

14. Sleep                (as sleep is often the best cure)

15. Calm                 (to calm down patients who are a bit unwilling ... children spring to mind)

16. Tree Skin           (I thought about Nature's Passage but I guess a healer does not really have to pass through wood but would take advantage from protecting his skin against the thorns and other dangers of being out there collecting herbs in rough country)

17. Nature's Tongues (to be able to converse with animal in the forest - about the places of certain herbs ... thought about Tongues too - would enable him to speak to all patient, humanoid or animal or even plant)

18. Summon Animal    (protection or guidance can be very helpful out there in the wilds)

19. Predict Weather   (now there is a really sensible spell for a foraging healer)

20. Find Shelter        (also for those days out there)

21. Healerstaff          (as he is in the tradition of the Druid and Cleric ... this spell could add PPs and/or give a bonus to healing/curing spells similar to his professional ability ... similar to the Necromancers attack spell bonus)

22. Repel Animal        (as he is able to summon them, he should probably know some way to keep the away when he is out there ... imagine picking flowers and a wolf shows up)

23. Tree Door           (again out of the tradition of the Druid and Cleric as well as ... travelling through the woods)

Questionable spells:

24. Elemental Resistance (thought especially about cold when he is looking for herbs in strange places or has to make house calls in the deepest of winters ... also usuable to protect a patient)

25. Elemental Bolt           (but not ball ... this would be in the tradition of the old RM druid who was able as per RMCV to cast a lightning bolt when there were clouds in the sky ... this would be similar and probably restricted to lightning also ... something like this only fauna hurting ball would also have been nice but would probably turn him into too much of a druid)

26. Jolts                        (I thought about this as he has deep understanding of the human physique and mind and thus would be able to stun a person ... would use this rather than Fire Nerves which could be used on the same basis but is WAY meaner)

27. Dream                      (if there is a problem/disease he can't solve but only thinking about it ... also adds to his own understanding of dreams thus curing insanity or finding out about the true reasons of a patients illness)

... all spell to change the weather would be nice to make sure the herbs grow good in his garden ...

... so far ...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:25:55 PM by munchy »
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 08:43:42 AM »
It does get tricky not delving too much into making him a cleric or a druid.
One option is to limit what elements can be taken for the bolt spell.
Locate food perhaps as a questionable spell?
Or charms as well as potions?
Although that now seems to be more along the lines of a shaman. 
You almost have too many spells to choose from to make a 'pure' healer without becoming too druidical or rangery.
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:07:28 AM »
My concern has always been the Universal sphere. Giving every caster access to that is (IMO) excessive.

If you don't allow Universal to everyone and instead build your circle of the Healer from 20 total spells... I would go with these.

1 - Banish Fatigue
2 - Detect Life
3 - Minor Healing
4 - Calm
5 - Cure Disease
6 - Herbal Enhancements
7 - Lifekeeping
8 - Major Healing
9 - Neutralize Poison
10 - Restoration
11 - Sleep
12 - Vision Protection
13 - Cool
14 - Heat
15 - Analysis
16 - Potion Mastery
17 - Stabilize Elixir
18 - Cure Insanity
19 - Plant Healing
20 - Rejuvenation

Note that since you are creating the profession you can disallow the access to Universal (other than those in the sphere) and give an additional minor talent to keep the profession balanced. (Physick would be my recommendation)

Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:57:37 AM »
Minor & major healing in the list?

My concern has always been the Universal sphere. Giving every caster access to that is (IMO) excessive.

Not only every caster but actually every character.  What I find ironic is that study target is a universal spell but I don't believe there are any universal spells that require it. 
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.    Buddha

Offline Thom @ ICE

• Aurigas Staff
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Thom@ironcrown.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:12:09 PM »
Minor/Major in the same list?
Why not?  You can create a Training Package that grants ranks in Minor Healing for a low level "Healer".   Don't make the 1st level Healer a walking ambulance, develop it over time.  Perhaps even make a policy to only allow spell development as part of the Training Package.   Yes, it tends to force a certain type of character but while the character spends a portion of their development points following a specific path, the rest are available to make them unique.

1st Level -
TP -cost 15DP
3 ranks in Minor Healing
4 ranks in Herbal Enhancements
3 ranks in Neutralize Poison

2nd Level -
TP -cost 18DP
3 ranks in Calm
4 ranks in Sleep
2 ranks in Major Healing
3 ranks in Restoration

etc.
Adding in skills like Healing, Herbcraft, Lore Skills, Survival, etc. can extend the development out more to make it more than just a walking medic.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:17:20 PM by Chosen DM - TJones67 »
Email -    Thom@ironcrown.com

Offline mocking bird

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 02:23:32 PM »
Ah - I didn't realize you were implying incorporating spell development to training packages.  It just seemed redundant.  I am just not a fan of DP discounts via TP's although I can see them as a way of controlling spell development in general.  Another option could be, much like directed spells in RM, that you can't start to develop a spell until you could actually cast it - although it doesn't effect major healing with a base cost of 4.  For example livegiving has a base cost of 12 so you would have to be third level before you could even start to develop it.  Even so, when compared to RM it is still really early.

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
Circle of the Healer - The new approach
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 10:22:30 AM »
All right ... new approach ....

Now I've got more or less lesser circles that form the Greater Circle of the Healer. Here they are:

Healing:
Cure Disease
Cure Insanity
Neutralize Poison
Lifegiving
Lifekeeping
Major Healing
Rejuvenation
Restoration

Alchemy:
Potion Mastery
Freshen Potion
Stabilize Elixier

Plant:
Plant Healing
Plant Growth
Herbal Enhancement
Tree Skin

Mind:
Calm
Sleep
Jolts

Body:
Inflict Injury
Wounding
Paralyze

The body circle is a bit dodgy in its naming but I chose those spells for healers to be able to defend themselves using spells that are reversed healing spells but not as nasty as some of the other attack spells like Inflict Pain, Fire Nerves, Drain Life, and Disease. (Harm was dropped because it is basically split into wounding and inflict injury or inflict pain by CoM.)
As has been discussed in the evil spells thread the spell chosen have visible physical effects while for example inflict pain is just pain without a wound that could be treated. Wounding is actually a bit on the edge as the wound cannot be closed without magic.

Spells I thought sensible but that do not really fit into these circles are the following:
Predict Weather (when searching for herbs to heal and for potions)
Find Shelter (if out for more than a day to look for herbs)
Repel Animal (to keep one safe from being eaten out there)
Nature's Tongues (to get information out there and maybe use a bit of diplomacy where the Repel spells does not do the trick)
Long Door/Tree Door (to travel more easily out there)

Spells interesting but that do not seems to be able to be put in and keeping it really sensible (this partly goes for Long Door as well):
Elemental Protection (to protect oneself from the weather extremes)
Vision Protection (if looking for herbs in extreme environments .... would make the healer too much of a ranger)
Intuitions (to know what to do during an operation)
Dream (to contemplate a cure for some rather nasty disease)
Resist Damage (as a result of the knowledge about the body and healing magic)
Locate Food (if you are out there looking for herbs ... but too much of a ranger?)
Charm (a more or less extended Calm spell but does a healer really need this one?)
Healer's Item (Pouch, staff, ring or something ... similar to the magestaff or holy symbol spell keyed to healing abilities)

Any comments?
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 03:38:27 PM »
All right, eventually went for this set of spells:

1     Calm
2     Cure Disease
3     Cure Insanity
4     Deep Trance
5     Disease
6     Find Shelter
7     Freshen Potion
8     Herbal Enhancement
9     Inflict Injury
10     Inflict Pain
11     Jolts
12     Lifegiving
13     Lifekeeping
14     Locate Food
15     Long Door
16     Major Healing
17     Nature's Tongues
18     Neutralize Poison
19     Paralyze
20     Plant Growth
21     Plant Healing
22     Potion Mastery
23     Predict Weather
24     Rejuvenation
25     Repel Animal
26     Resist Damage
27     Restoration
28     Sleep
29     Stabilize Elixier
30     Tree Skin
31     Unstun
32     Wounding

Adding this:
Healers
Healers are masters in the mystical healing arts, able to cure the injuries and ailments of plant, beast and man alike. They are able to bottle their healing powers to make them more available. They know how to find healing herbs and how to use their powers.
However, healers are not to be taken as weak bandage binders, with knowledge of the body, the mind and healing magic comes a
knowledge how to twist this magic. Healers are quite able to defend themselves and their patients.

FAVOURED CATEGORIES:
General:          4      Influence:  2
Mystical Arts:   10    Outdoor:    2
Physical:          2

KEY STATS: Insight, Self-Discipline, Reasoning

PROFESSIONAL ABILITIES: Healers may learn any spell from the Great Circle of the Healer.
All Healers have the Physick Talent the bonus of which also applies to Herb related skills.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline Right Wing Wacko

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Patriot, Crusader, and Grognard
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 11:30:20 PM »
Cool.. I have done something similar using HARP core rules... I split the Cleric into 3 "types", with favored categories, special ability, and spell lists... the Healer, the Crusader, and the Animist (druid)
A military solution isn't the only answer, just one of the better ones.
www.strategypage.com

"Note #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game."- markc

Offline bunny

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 11:59:17 PM »
I agreed with your first thoughts on lifegiving - making it a cleric only spell (and rare at that imo) keeps the game interesting. In a world where people can raise the dead with only a fraction of their daily power points (even if those people are hard to come by) death will lose it's sting. Powerful lords will do whatever they can to get access to lifegivers, etcetera etcetera.

Tying it to a deity means you always have the resultant holy quest to go on, plus the capricious or at least aloof nature of deities in many worlds results in an inherent brake on the inevitable lifegiving arms race.

Offline choc

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 02:41:56 AM »
If you take the alchemist way, you don't need to learn all the healing spells.

Just
Potion Mastery
Stabilize Elixir
Purify Drink or Create Water (Cantrip)
Clean Item (Cantrip)
Body Clock (Cantrip)
Count (Cantrip)
Analyze
Conjure Item (Compounds)
(and your stated horticulture spells)

and a huge amount of ranks in
Alchemy and a few additional adequate Lores
Healing and adequate Lores

Perhaps a talent to reduce alchemy to 3ranks per formula potion (for healing only)

Well, it'll be fine he uses a candle instead of livekeeping :D

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 03:09:04 AM »
@RWW: could you post them in the upload section or give a link to a website where they can found if you have one?

@bunny: still thinking about that one but I guess a TRUE healer should also be able to do this. I know its lifegiving by the gods but if a healer understands the secrets of nature and life, he basically understood the divine nature of things. Anyway, lifegiving is not easily available for anyone in our game, not just learnable like other spells.

@choc: Interesting idea with the alchemist but we want him to be more than just a potioneer. He should be able to heal in the field also. Although the one living in a village will definitely create a lot of potions ... despite them being REALLY expensive in laboratory costs, I doubt that a village can afford a lot of those, so he would be depending on going adventuring to finance the village's health plan. :)
Be Sharp, Play HARP!

Offline munchy

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • The Munch Companion
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 03:53:49 PM »
Thanks choc, I didn't know that one and am reading it right now. Looks interesting though not exactly what I am looking for. However, there is certainly something I will use for our healer.

For the rest, here is the link choc so kindly sent me: http://www.harphq.com/free_downloads/PlayerProfessions/Mass.HARPhealer.pdf
It's the Rolemaster Healer profession turned HARP.
Be Sharp, Play HARP!