Author Topic: RMU: Control Lycanthropy tips  (Read 281 times)

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
RMU: Control Lycanthropy tips
« on: March 08, 2024, 11:27:27 PM »
So, I've had a player in one of my RMU games contract Lycanthropy. It has been fun so far, but the player has poor stats for Control Lycanthropy and I worry that his inability to control it will be an ongoing issue for the party. I know it should not be easy, but I'm looking for ways to help him raise his bonus or otherwise control the disease/curse.

Here are some of the things I thought might help (and I'm hoping other people have other suggestions too):

--Meditation Skill (could be used I think if he wants to force a transformation)

--Potions of Calm Self (a level 1 potion is 5sp for a +10 to the Control Lycanthropy roll if I'm reading that correctly)

--Magical Skill Bonus items to add a bonus to Control Lycanthropy

--Stat bonus items to the stats for Control Lycanthropy skill (though they are expensive)

Anyone have any more ideas?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle

Offline Thot

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: RMU: Control Lycanthropy tips
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2024, 03:12:55 AM »
Depending on your game world:

• Herbs and similar items (maybe pearls, special water).
  • Special places (like a temple of the moon goddess)
  • Special people in whose vicinity it won't happen (maybe that person knows a spell list that prevents others from transforming, or has a new Talent like "anti-lycantropic aura")

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2024, 11:32:27 AM »
I don't think there's an existing herb explicitly for this, but you could rule any of the intoxicants with euphoric effects will have a similar effect as Calm Self. I think this also has some potential humor value...
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 12:08:52 PM »
Just a wild off the cuff idea...

Something that works like a zero PP cost to cast Mentalism spell (cantrip?) that he has to dedicate, we'll say, 10% of his round every single round to not take one step closer to prevent or force (and maintain) transforming.  Make it any number of failures or successes as you like.

So when he's isn't a werewolf and wants to become one he has to make the roll x number of times to become one and continue to maintain it.
Likewise, when something is causing him to transform he has to continue resisting and after x number of failures does so unwillingly.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 12:32:23 PM »
From a roleplay standpoint, I think that idea that you are closer or further from transformation makes a lot of sense. I'm not sure the numbers work to simply make it a percentage maneuver, but if it's some kind of steps on a track, then slipping closer to transformation is when you need that Calm Self, you want to start meditating (if circumstances permit!), etc. And you might be able to deliberately transform but you have to spend some time really working yourself up.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline pantsorama

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 11:32:51 AM »
So, I've had a player in one of my RMU games contract Lycanthropy. It has been fun so far, but the player has poor stats for Control Lycanthropy and I worry that his inability to control it will be an ongoing issue for the party. I know it should not be easy, but I'm looking for ways to help him raise his bonus or otherwise control the disease/curse.

Here are some of the things I thought might help (and I'm hoping other people have other suggestions too):

--Meditation Skill (could be used I think if he wants to force a transformation)

--Potions of Calm Self (a level 1 potion is 5sp for a +10 to the Control Lycanthropy roll if I'm reading that correctly)

--Magical Skill Bonus items to add a bonus to Control Lycanthropy

--Stat bonus items to the stats for Control Lycanthropy skill (though they are expensive)

Anyone have any more ideas?

Dude!  Here is where you can use those gem rules!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 06:20:33 PM »

Dude!  Here is where you can use those gem rules!

Haha, the player beat you to it, and that was actually what spurred me to ask the question about gems, because there is a gem that helps with Control Lycanthropy called Schorl (p. 67). It was in the process of trying to figure out how that works that I started asking about gems.
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle