Author Topic: Main Gauche or Sai as Martial Arts Weapon Kata and effects on DB  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Main Gauche or Sai as Martial Arts Weapon Kata and effects on DB
« on: November 19, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
Hi,

I considered playing a Monk or Warrior Monk character again and thought about using a Martial Arts Style (we're using the Martial Arts Companion) that could incorporate a main gauche or sai as Weapon Kata. I have two variants in mind:
a) Using the two-weapon kata option for e.g. wielding katana and sai. That would allow two attacks. But what if only one attack were made and the sai would not get used offensively? Would the character benefit from the +25 to DB the sai normally grants? Here I tend to say yes, the DB bonus should get applied? After all the character is sacrificing an attack to get the DB bonus.
b) Using unarmed attacks with the option to do an additional unarmed attach and the option for a main gauche weapon kata. The weapon kata option would allow the main gauche to be used with the MA attacks. But what if the main gauche does not get used at all and instead the two unarmed MA attacks get made? Will the character then get the +15 DB from the main gauche because it does not get used for attacking? Here I would tend to say no, this should not be allowed. Or, if getting the DB, there could be a penalty to the unarmed attacks because one hand cannot be used normally.

Opinions on this?

Offline Peter R

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +480/-480
    • Rolemaster Blog
Re: Main Gauche or Sai as Martial Arts Weapon Kata and effects on DB
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 04:04:22 PM »
I would agree with both your rulings 1. Yes 2. No.

Having said, that some people were talking about allowing 2 shields and two MA attacks in the same round so anything is possible.
Rolemasterblog http://www.rolemasterblog.com
Twitter https://twitter.com/RolemasterBlog
Facebook https://www.facebook.com/rolemasterblog/

Spectre771 A couple of weeks ago, I disemboweled one of my PCs with a...

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:34:45 AM »
Thanks for the feedback

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
In the context of the Martial Arts Companion and RMFRP, unarmed attacks are actually significantly better than armed ones with a main gauche. So a style that gives you two unarmed attacks is better than one that gives you two main gauche attacks, all else being equal. Is it enough of a bonus that it ought to be cost point in a combat style? Harder to say. Offensively, main gauche is not a very effective weapon, and the weapon styles charge you the same for any weapon regardless of its damage potential.

That said, it's the intent of the MAC rules that you could use an off-hand parrying weapon to get a DB bonus. There is the Defensive Ward ability (10 points) that lets you increase that existing DB by 10 or apply it to a second opponent. I think a weapon style with Defensive Ward and Additional Unarmed attack is consistent with those rules; you would get one weapon attack, one unarmed attack (to a maximum of degree 2), and your DB bonus from your off-hand sai/main gauche (plus 10 or applied to two foes).

I do think it's unlikely to have a style where you hold a defensive item in both hands and never strike with either of them. A fighting technique that depends 100% on kicks with no variation whatsoever is going to be a bit too predictable in my opinion. I certainly wouldn't give the defensive bonus for both main gauches.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2018, 02:50:21 AM »
Thanks for the input. Since I planned for a MA Style and not a Weapon Style the Defensive Ward option is IIRC not an option for the planned Monk character. But certainly for a "normal" Fighter the two Main Gauche variant might be interesting.