Author Topic: Daily item question  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Daily item question
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:43:18 PM »
In RM Daily items have x uses of a certain level.  For example a Daily 1 can cast a single first level spell 1/day.  A Daily 5 can cast a first level spell five times a day, or a 5th level spell 1/day.

However in Creature and Treasures, there are Daily 1 items with spells of level 1-10, Daily 2 with 5th level spells, and so on. Did then C&T supercede Character/Campaign Law? 

Thanks!

Offline Malim

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Daily item question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 02:36:53 PM »
If its RM2 a dayli item will cast a spell of x lvl x times per day. The lvl is restricted by the item and its max lvl of spells!
Sir Elor Blacke knight of Helyssa, Kytari Fighter lvl 25 (RM2)
Malim Naruum, Yinka Lord Bashkor lvl 27  (RM2)

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:43:31 PM »
Yes RM2.

Sorry but could you clarify your response?  Can you have a Daily 2 item that casts a 6th level spell twice a day?  Because in C&T you can.  The rules seem in conflict with each other and I was wondering which governs. I can always house rule of course. C&T does not have Daily 5 items on the chart.

Offline Majyk

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 07:03:29 PM »
Yeah, depending upon how large the item is, the higher level the spell could be cast as a Daily item from it, otherwise you are correct = it used to be strict Uses/day X Spell lvl.
Later versions of SL and Alchemy(Treasure) Companions cinched down item creation further.

Offline Rerednaw

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 08:23:37 PM »
Thanks I think I figured it out.

It was more restrictive and then I guess they realized with spells lists going to L50...maxing an item with L5 spells was kind of lacking :)

Though for starting characters I think it's fine to limit that.  Some of the L2-L5 spells are definitely encounter-winners for a starting party.

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 01:14:44 AM »
The C&T items do not match the SL item creation rules. A large section of items was created for another game entirely and just converted over to RM without regard to the Alchemist lists. However, you seem to be confused by the use of similar notation for two different things in the two different books. In C&T, "Daily III" means an item that can cast its spell thrice a day. This does not mean an item created by the Daily III spell.

There are still a few items in the basic list that cannot be created from Spell Law, as it maxes out at 10 levels/day and the C&T chart goes to 3rd level spells four times a day (or higher for the HL results, but at least the HL result is obviously meant to zoom past normal limits).
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 07:10:50 AM »
RM2/RMSS weren't coherent as far as character creation rules and creature statistics, item creation rules and magical item statistics were concerned. It's something I love about D&D 3.5 (where the creatures follow exactly the character creation rules, and where for each magical item, you have the "construction requirements" giving you the cost, skills and spells used to create the item). I hope RMU goes this way, as it gives a feeling of coherency to the system... and simplifies GM's tasks!
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.