Author Topic: Visuals of target of static spell manuver  (Read 1288 times)

Offline MrGlaurung

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Visuals of target of static spell manuver
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:27:31 PM »
Greetings.

I have some trouble with spell static maneuver, for example Charm Kind or Sleep.
Do you need to see the target to hit them?

And if yes, would the spell Presence help for a Mentalist?
If the Mentalist have Presence going and turns it off to instantly cast Sleep, would that work if the target is on the other side of the wall??

If you know the answers to this - please point me to the rule section that deals with this.

// Mr Glaurung
a.k.a Anders @ Gothenburg, Sweden

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Visuals of target of static spell manuver
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 02:53:18 PM »
The basic spell attack table in RMSS Spell Law lists a modifier for "Full Cover" with the explanation "detected, but not sighted", which implies that detection is required. (RMFRP omits this explanation.) The RMSR does say basic spells are "directed at a target" (pg 99) which I take to mean you have to have some awareness of the target. I don't think this is explicit anywhere, but the basic spell attack table is presented with and explained with attacks, not with spellcasting, which again suggests it is like making an attack.

In our game, the GM has allowed the mentalist to use Presence for targeting, but he has had to make a spell mastery roll with Presence to get enough information to do so.

RMU moves the cover and range modifiers to the RR since there is no BAR, but otherwise it's basically the same.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline MrGlaurung

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Visuals of target of static spell manuver
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 02:10:38 AM »
Thanks a lot! I'll have a look after the work day!