Author Topic: Channelling Companion: differences between Spirit Domination and Spirit Law  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
I was tring to make a set of lists for a shaman-like ancestors priest, his main focus should be dealing with spirits and the likes, so I looked into these two lists and Holy Trances.
What puzzles me is that it seems that the two lists for dealing with spirits are largely overlappig. I mean, what's the difference between Spirit Bonding and Spirit Trap? Am I wrong or they basically do the same thing?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Spirit Law reads as a spell list for someone who cultivates a friendly relationship with spirits, aiding them and giving up offerings to them, and receiving their assistance. Spirit Domination reads as a spell list for someone who forces their will upon spirits and compels them to serve. Very different from a roleplaying standpoint, but spirits are spirits so there is some overlap between the lists for sure.

Spirit Trap forces a spirit into an item, while Spirit Binding requires the spirit to willingly cooperate (it's a utility spell, not a force spell), so it must be persuaded. The radius of the effect is probably greater, at least for low-level spirits.

Given the overlaps, it wouldn't make sense for a character to have both lists. Pick one based on the conception of the character and/or the role you want spirits to have in the campaign.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Spirit Law reads as a spell list for someone who cultivates a friendly relationship with spirits, aiding them and giving up offerings to them, and receiving their assistance. Spirit Domination reads as a spell list for someone who forces their will upon spirits and compels them to serve. Very different from a roleplaying standpoint, but spirits are spirits so there is some overlap between the lists for sure.

Spirit Trap forces a spirit into an item, while Spirit Binding requires the spirit to willingly cooperate (it's a utility spell, not a force spell), so it must be persuaded. The radius of the effect is probably greater, at least for low-level spirits.

Given the overlaps, it wouldn't make sense for a character to have both lists. Pick one based on the conception of the character and/or the role you want spirits to have in the campaign.

Your explanation make sense, and he could use one list for friendly spirits and the other for enemy ones. The only odd thing is that binding a friendly spirit is lvl 7, while trapping an opposing one is lvl 5, so cohercing a spirit is easier than binding a willing one... It's weird.
However I decided to switch Holy Trances with Chants, it seems more fitting with what I had in mind.
From a roleplaying point of view, I think I'll rule that a trapped spirit, once released could attack the caster if not commanded, while a bonded one will execute the task and return to the spirit world peacefully.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
The spirit binding spells for higher level friendly spirits are lower level than the corresponding spirit trap spells for higher level unwilling spirits. It's just the one for 1st level spirits that is the other way. When you make a spell list, there are often multiple things that could reasonably go in a certain slot and some of them end up in higher level slots than necessary, just to make everything fit.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Fingolfin80

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
The spirit binding spells for higher level friendly spirits are lower level than the corresponding spirit trap spells for higher level unwilling spirits. It's just the one for 1st level spirits that is the other way. When you make a spell list, there are often multiple things that could reasonably go in a certain slot and some of them end up in higher level slots than necessary, just to make everything fit.
Yes, I get it, I'll just have to find a convincing in-game explanation.
I also added an altered version of Channels, in order to give a customized Absolution that allow him to send someone spirit in the spirit world and face him there, seems themathically appropriate.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Yes, I get it, I'll just have to find a convincing in-game explanation.

That at the lower level of casting it is more likely to negatively effect the Spirit (mystical/spiritual pain is induced), but with a slightly higher level of understanding of the mystical methods, and by imbuing the casting with more mystical energy the Spirit is not harmed and can go in willingly.