Author Topic: Hit points and penalties  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Hit points and penalties
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
Rift, a lvl 6 magician with no stat bonus in strength or agility, spend all the dev points he possibly can on using a broadsword. He gets 7 ranks. 7 X 5= 35 OB.
Let's say this magician has a duel with another 6 lvl magician called Tarilyn. Tarilyn doesn't have any bonuses in strength or agility either, and he has only spent dev points on his broadsword skill in level 0. That gives him 1 rank, and 1 X 5 = 5 OB.

Both are fully healed and both have 40 HP.

After a couple they have received 30 hit points each.
They have received 75% of their HP, and both get a -30 penalty to their OB.
Rift, who has spent dev points every level now has +5 OB.
Tarilyn who only bothered to train in level 0 now also has +5 OB.

Wouldn't it be more realistic if the penalty was a percentage of the skill.

Let's say a fighter with 150 OB is just 1 HP from passing out. He would still be able to fight with an OB of 120.
Or if he is fully healed and someone destroys his shield arm elbow and he gets "arm useless" and a -50 penalty, he would still be able to fight on with OB 100.

I just seem to think there's something unbalanced or unrealistic about these penalties.

What do you think?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Hit points and penalties
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:04:57 PM »
Why would Tarilyn's OB of +5 -30 = +5? I would expect him to have a -25.

If it was a percentage (let's say 30%), Rift would be at +35 * (100-30%) = +25, and Tarilyn would be at +5 * (100-30%) = +4. That's pretty generous for someone with minimal skill. It's saying that his efforts waving that sword around are so pathetic that being injured doesn't make any difference -- but his one rank still makes a big difference vs having no ranks, relative to a person with no skill at all (-25), Tarilyn is better by a margin of +30. With a percentage, Tarilyn has an equal chance of defeating that unskilled person whether he is injured or not.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Sable Wyvern

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »
I, too, am confused as to why Tarilyn's -30 penalty is being treated as -0.

Offline Lorgalis

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 06:28:48 AM »
I, too, am confused. Sorry, i was thinking that you can never have a negative OB. But of course It is DB that can never be below zero.

My example was embarrasing!

Offline Hurin

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 11:07:12 AM »
I, too, am confused. Sorry, i was thinking that you can never have a negative OB. But of course It is DB that can never be below zero.

My example was embarrasing!

Don't worry-- we all make mistakes from time to time. The crucial question is: have you solved your problem now, or do you still have more questions?
'Last of all, Húrin stood alone. Then he cast aside his shield, and wielded an axe two-handed'. --J.R.R. Tolkien

'Every party needs at least one insane person.'  --Aspen of the Jade Isle