Author Topic: Long Mind Store  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Long Mind Store
« on: March 21, 2018, 06:26:32 AM »
In Mentalism Companion, the Seer has a Long Mind Store spell, which allows storing a presence 100'/lvl away.
According to the Mind Store rules, the target must first be located using Presence (there is no Presence True in the Seer lists).

So... how does a Seer ever find a situation where Long Mind Store can be used?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
Re: Long Mind Store
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 10:15:56 AM »
Seer gets Presence as the first level spell on the Mind Visions list. It's listed as "Seer's Presence" because there are some differences from the Mentalist version, but I assume all references to "Presence" are to that spell. Same list as Long Mind Store. Range is 10'/lvl.

System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
I understand that Seer's Presence counts as a "Presence" spell.
The issue my group brought up is that Long Mind Store has a range of 100'/lvl while Seer's Presence is 10'R/lvl.

Since there is no Presence True in the Seer lists, a Lvl 8 Seer has no way of detecting a presence further than 80' away, so there is no way to store someone 800' away.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 09:38:18 PM »
Oh, I see. And the Mentalist list doesn't have that issue because it only has Mind Store, not Long Mind Store.

Probably the easiest solution would be to change Long Mind Store and Long Mind Typing to require the target's mind has been detected by any seer spell. Or, allow the caster to use Presence from their sensory point when using Scrying, Long Sense, etc. You could limit it by requiring a spell mastery maneuver to do so.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline OLF, i.e. Olf Le Fol

• Revered Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 05:22:25 AM »
In the RMSS SL, Long mind store reads "As Mind store, except range is 100'/lvl if the target is sensed (mentally or by sight)".
The world was then consumed by darkness, and mankind was devoured alive and cast into hell, led by a jubilant 紗羽. She rejoiced in being able to continue serving the gods, thus perpetuating her travels across worlds to destroy them. She looked at her doll and, remembering their promises, told her: "You see, my dear, we succeeded! We've become legends! We've become villains! We've become witches!" She then laughed with a joyful, childlike laughter, just as she kept doing for all of eternity.

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 05:50:46 AM »
In the RMSS SL, Long mind store reads "As Mind store, except range is 100'/lvl if the target is sensed (mentally or by sight)".
Oh, I hadn't realized about this. So the Seer in Mentalism Companion lost this somehow, but it still would make sense.

@jdale I had been doing exactly that in the past, it's just that last week the subject came up again during the session and I decided to check for any missing rules.

I have already mentioned the clarification to the players, and will be using it in our game.

Thanks for your input!