Author Topic: Longsword vs. Broadsword  (Read 2619 times)

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
Longsword vs. Broadsword
« on: June 12, 2015, 02:09:47 PM »
If you have a fighter that is proficient with a broadsword and acquires a longsword, how would each of you treat that? The two swords are very similar. Would any of you impose a penalty for the use of the longsword?

I am thinking perhaps -5.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
Re: Longsword vs. Broadsword
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
As per the rules they are just as different weapons as short sword and broadsword would be i.e. a character gets the category bonus but needs to develop skill as a separate weapon.

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 03:25:18 PM »
OK. For example his OB with a Broadsword is +83 and his OB with One-Handed Edged is +52. With zero ranks in Longsword his OB with Longsword would be +52 until he develops ranks in Longsword specifically?

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
That's the rule. And if he develops both skills equally from that point forward, his skill in Longsword will always lag behind.

I don't find this particularly satisfying, especially for such similar weapons. I could see, after developing a certain number of ranks in Longsword, especially if Longsword is the skill they actually use, allowing a character to swap the two skills.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline Frabby

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 02:41:59 AM »
That's why our group has been house-ruling weapon skills for some two decades: We don't develop individual weapons, the skill is developed for groups of similar weapons instead that employ broadly similar techniques. Longsword and broadsword both fall into the "long blades" skill, for example.

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
OK. For example his OB with a Broadsword is +83 and his OB with One-Handed Edged is +52. With zero ranks in Longsword his OB with Longsword would be +52 until he develops ranks in Longsword specifically?

Your player would get the +52 bonus from the category, but because he has no ranks in longsword, a -15 untrained penalty would be imposed for an adjusted +37 bonus ith longsword.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:05:00 PM »
Or he gets full catagory bonus and half the ranks Broad Sword for similar weapon skill.  Or 70 as I calculate it, albeit on my third rather large mixed drink.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 05:42:52 AM »
Or he gets full catagory bonus and half the ranks Broad Sword for similar weapon skill.  Or 70 as I calculate it, albeit on my third rather large mixed drink.
The similar weapons rule is from RM2 Companion II but does not get used with RMSS/RMFRP.

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
The similar weapons rule is from RM2 Companion II but does not get used with RMSS/RMFRP.

I have been with RM since the first version, so I have more than a few rules that cross over from version to version.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Tulgurth is correct, the question is do you (as the GM) want to treat it that way?  There's also the question of what a "longsword" is... you'll get different answers to that question from different people.  Often the "RPG" version of a "Longsword" is really more like a broadsword.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline HawksNut

• Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Go Hawks!!
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
Thank you all for your input. Tulgurth is right. I forgot about that -15 with zero rank. I feel that in the case of these two weapons, logic must come into play and such a huge penalty given the uniquely similar nature of these two weapons must be a part of the consideration. I think I will impose a -15 penalty and I can justify this by the lack of rank but similar nature. Thanks again.