Author Topic: definition of spell group?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Yseulte Harper

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
definition of spell group?
« on: March 05, 2015, 01:45:36 PM »
Since I'm a federal employee kept home by the snow here in Maryland, I was working with a gaming group member on his character for our first RM campaign. I was stumped by one of the Animist profession bonuses -- for a "spell group." I'm assuming that a spell group is more than a list, but less than a realm. Does a player get to define his own spell group? I was disappointed that the term was not defined in the base book's otherwise helpful list of definitions.

???

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
Re: definition of spell group?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 02:18:33 PM »
Catagories can be dscribed in groups, such as weapon, stealth and spell, which have more than one category.  So all categories in a group receive the bonus.  Every profession has one of these.  In Profession design (covered in the CHanneling Companion), it is recommended a profession rarely receive more than one Category Group to assign a Profession bonus too (of up to +20).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline gog

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 04:05:41 AM »
Could also be the groups found in the back of Essence companion

Offline Tommi

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 05:10:13 AM »
For Animist It means that in RMSS you got +5 to all spell lists (skills).
Example: animist (RMSS) baselists +10, opens +5 , closed +0, general +50, In bonus +8, Animist profession +5 to group:
Category bonus for spell casting : open lists 50 (general)+5 (open list) +8 (stat) +5 (profession bonus) = 68 ; closed 50+0+8+5 =63; base 50+10+8+5 =73

Most professions get several groups for profession bonuses e.g. fighter gets armor and weapon,  Thief gets awareness, subterfuge and weapon

Offline Yseulte Harper

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 07:29:15 PM »
I appreciate all the attempts to help me. I must not have been clear in phrasing my question. I believe I understand how profession bonuses work in general. I just don't know how many or which spell lists would be included in a "spell group".  If giving  a bonus for the base lists, why not just say it applies to the base lists? Could a player define all the lists he knows as his "spell group" and take the bonus for all of them? I'd just like a definition of the term "spell group".

Offline rdanhenry

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 07:55:41 PM »
The definition is on p.30 of the RMSR. If you are using RMFRP, I'm afraid I cannot help you locate it there, but I can quote it:

Certain skill categories are grouped together for the purpose of development point assignment during the character creation process (see Section 15.0) and for profession bonuses (see Section 11.2). Skill categories in the same group start with the same word followed by a bullet (i.e., a "•").

Thus the Animist gains a +5 bonus to his Spell Casting Static Maneuvers with all spells.
Rolemaster: When you absolutely, positively need to have a chance of tripping over an imaginary dead turtle.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
Weapons Group = All Weapons Groups = All Weapons.  Same with Spells.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline MariusH

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
Like Cory said: The "Spell group" is the group of skills that govern spells - in other words, all spell lists. +5 to all SCSM, in practice.
There are three kinds of people: Those who know math, and those who don't

Offline Yseulte Harper

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 10:50:17 PM »
 Thanks to you all, I've go it now. I never imagined it could be so simple.  ;D