Author Topic: Wait, HARP Updated?  (Read 1682 times)

Offline jonnyincognito

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Wait, HARP Updated?
« on: October 04, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
Alright...I realize I'm VERY late in finding out, but honestly I haven't played HARP. I originally bought it years ago, and while finding character sheets my new play group pointed out that there were skills listed on the character sheet pdfs I downloaded that weren't in the manual. Low and behold, it looks like HARP updated.

I had originally bought the hard and soft copies of the original, any chance that Iron Crown was providing free updates? :D Also, what of the other books were updated? I have all of them. Apart from the addition of skills, can someone give me a rundown on what else was added/updated/fixed?

Offline NicholasHMCaldwell

• OIC Points +0/-0
  • Director of Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd.
Re: Wait, HARP Updated?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:11:23 PM »
The changes to HARP Fantasy are on the top post of
http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?topic=11968.0
and they are:
     The Professions have been rebalanced in terms of their professional abilities
    Flat 50 Development Points is the default for calculating Development Points
    Races have been better balanced in terms of stat bonuses, some racial abilities have been revised, and Humans now get Skill Flexibility (the ability to make a single skill in a NonFavored category Favored)
    Blood Talents have been rebalanced in terms of Development Point cost
    The Mandatory Subskills rule has been incorporated from HARP SF
    Four new Influence skills have been added from HARP SF
    New talents have been added from HARP SF and Development Point costs of existing Talents have been properly balanced
    The use of Spell Adders and Power Point Adders has been clarified
    Clarifications and improvements have been made to the rules for Light & Vision, Fighting Blind, Asphyxiation and Holding Breath, Drowning and Stat Loss
    Life Points have been removed and the Stun rules made consistent with HARP SF
    All of the spells have had their base costs and scaling options made consistent with the revised spell creation system (to be published in the enhanced College of Magics) and descriptions have been clarified in specific cases
    Herb and poison prices have been rationalized
    A new monster creation system has been used to rework the monster collection with some monsters being replaced with new creatures
    Several magic items have had their effects adjusted
    The guidance on customizing clerics and magic users has been revised to better fit with the rules given in the enhanced College of Magics and future envisaged sourcebooks.
    The Language Table and associated rules have been made consistent with HARP SF
    The Non-Adventuring Professions have been removed - these will return in in a future sourcebook in a form suitable for PCs

The changes to HARP Martial Law were more modest:
Flying and Influence skills made consistent with both HARP Fantasy and HARP SF;
Intuition talent removed, while Swashbuckler and Toughness talents made consistent with both HARP Fantasy and HARP SF;
Underwater Combat and Maritime Combat updated to be consistent with HARP SF;
Costs for superior and magical materials have been adjusted
Damage Adjustment by Armor is now an optional rule;
The sample characters have been updated for consistency with HARP Fantasy;
New sample characters have been added for the Cleric, Harper, Mage and Thief professions.

For HARP College of Magics:
The Necromancer’s Favored categories were rebalanced
Minor modifications to the Song, Music and Trance casting styles
Significant revisions to the spell creation system, namely addition of new Aspects and deletion of some duplicate Aspects, costs of Attributes now varies according to the spell type (Elemental, Attack or Utility), simpler and cheaper costing system for spells with multiple effects, PP costs for scaling options also now varies according to the spell type making Utility spells more effective for fewer PP, and some scaling options have been recosted
The Development Point costs of the new talents were rebalanced with the Potency talent and Inner Strength talents being rewritten
A rule for variable RR and OB bonus from potions, runes, and circles has been added
Alchemy, Charmcraft and Ritual Magic were revised to conform to the revised spell creation system
The monetary costs for making Alchemy and Charmcraft items were rebalanced
All spells were revised to conform to the revised spell creation system
The set of Clean, Dry and Repair cantrips have been revised with some deleted and new cantrips added

All three books have lots of great new interior art. We also had all three books on time-limited 5 USD price offers for their first month after release.

Best wishes,
Nicholas
Dr Nicholas HM Caldwell
Director, Iron Crown Enterprises Ltd
Publisher of Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Shadow World, Cyradon, HARP & HARP SF, and Cyberspace, with products available from www.drivethrurpg.com
Author: Mentalism Companion, GURPS Age of Napoleon, Construct Companion, College of Magics, HARP SF/HARP SF Xtreme

Offline jonnyincognito

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 08:29:31 PM »
Alright, picked them up! Thanks for the info!

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 02:22:18 PM »
I never had the pre-revised version, and because we're avoiding edition numbers: I have all the PDFs for Revised and the softcover core book, and the core PDF and hardcover for advanced.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 09:33:03 AM »
Actually, I'm a little confused regarding which books are actually out. I got both the PDF and the hardcover of the HARP Fantasy from RPGNow, and HF Martial Law appears to be available in all three forms, whereas I'm also seeing HF College of Magics but apparently only for AutoHARP.
#LotorAllura2024

Offline trechriron

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
The books all appear on DriveThru for me. Here are the links;

HARP (Fantasy)

Martial Law

College of Magics

I own these in PDF, and they are the revised books.
Trentin C Bergeron (TreChriron)
Bard, Dreamer, & RPG Enthusiast

Offline Zhaleskra

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
I now see all three are available in all three formats on RPGNow as well.
#LotorAllura2024