Author Topic: Elemental Attacks  (Read 1437 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Elemental Attacks
« on: May 10, 2014, 12:35:00 AM »
I think I have been doing these wrong all along!  I read Spell Law again and please help with my notes.

1.  Roll EAR (Elemental Attack Roll).  Unmodified 01-02 (fumble) 96-00 (Area Severe Attack) 00 (non area attack).
2.  Caster Modification.  +1 per Caster Level, Caster's Agility Modification (thought this would be already in Directed Spell Bonus), Directed Spell Bonus, Range, Position and Range.

3.  Target Modifications.  Target Quickness (Not DB, no Adrenal Defense), Shields and Helmets', Cover and Position.

I have just used Directed Spell versus DB and Range, wow have I been wrong.  Is this how you see it?  Am I missing something.  I don't think Combat Minion takes all of these into account automatically. 

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Elemental Attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »
I think that comes from the section (Section 16) about using Spell Law without Rolemaster. Since you are using Rolemaster you should ignore that and use what is found in Section A-10.7 (pg. 219) of RMfrp core book.

Which means you were probably doing it right. ;)

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
This goes way back to RMI.  In the 1st edition, directed spell was limited to 10 ranks for a +50 bonus.  In RMCII, Mages started receiving a +3 per level in Directed Spell skills AND the rank limit was tossed.

Look at the old MERP modules and see Gandalf with a 50 directed spell.  Perhaps less OB made good sense as directed spells cannot be parried.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:31:56 AM »
Thank you very much dagorhir, that was really confusing me. 

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 07:23:41 AM »
Thank you very much dagorhir, that was really confusing me.

No prob, always happy to help. :)