Author Topic: Talent Law and Background options  (Read 4095 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Talent Law and Background options
« on: May 08, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
I picked up Talent Law and was wondering if you do away with the Background options in lieu of Talents or do you use both?  It implies in the manual that you keep both, but I wanted some feedback on the experience of fellow GM's.

Offline markc

• Elder Loremaster
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Talent Law and Background options
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 08:54:31 AM »
I use Talent Points only.
MDC
Bacon Law: A book so good all PC's need to be recreated.
Rule #0: A GM has the right to change any rule in a book to fit their game.
Role Play not Roll Play.
Use a System to tell the story do not let the system play you.

Offline jdale

• RMU Dev Team
  • OIC Points +25/-25
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 09:38:06 AM »
We use background options only.
System and Line Editor for Rolemaster

Offline dagorhir

• Senior Adept
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:43:47 AM »
I have used both. I found the Background Options work better for me, so that's what I use now.

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »
I have used both. I found the Background Options work better for me, so that's what I use now.
+1

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »
We do away with Background options and just use the Talents.  We do, however, really scrutinize the mix and cost of them (and change many).
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline tulgurth

• Initiate
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 12:20:56 PM »
I have done both, using talents and BO's in unison and separately at different times in my RM GM'ing experience.  I have discovered the talents, if not monitored closely can really get out of hand and because of such I only allow the random rolling of talents.  If players are allowed to "cherry pick", min/max'ing can really be abused. 

If players insist on "cherry picking" their talents I impose an additional cost for the selected talent. "Cherry picked" talents cost double their normal cost with each additional talent having the multiplier doubled.  For instance,
1st Talent = 2x talent's cost
2nd Talent = 4x cost
3rd Talent = 8x cost, etc.

I do allow players to add to their Talent points by taking flaws, but they do have to be reflected in the character's background and the player has to roleplay them out.  However, they are only allowed  number of flaws equal to their BO's as printed in the RMSS.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 10:25:40 AM »
I use both of them. I have opted for the FRP Talent Law instead of the RMSS though. I scrutinize the talents but let the players know the better the talent they pick the better the flaw that gets assigned from me.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline RandalThor

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48:21 AM »
I prefer to use Talents & Flaws as they are presented in the aforementioned book.
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Scratch that. Power attracts the corruptible.

Rules should not replace the brain and thinking.

Offline damage

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 02:37:29 PM »
Talents only, though I've heavily recosted and tweaked most of them.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 04:47:47 PM »
I guess I could describe how I generally use Talent Law.

First, I have my players go through and pick out all the Talents/Flaws they are interested in and email them to me.  I go through and re-cost them and state things like "You just can't have that one" or more often "You have to pick one or the other of these two/three/whatever" or occasionally "You know I'm going to make sure that comes up as an issue for you, so choose wisely!" and qualifiers like that.  I send that back to them (sometimes I'll even suggest combinations that I will allow even if they are over by 1-4 points or so if they've written a basic background/history that justifies their selections) and let them pick their final Talents/Flaws from there.

There are certain Talents I just wouldn't allow depending on the situation, there are many Talents I change the cost of, and there are certain combinations of Talents I'll just never allow.  But doing what I do above still gives the players a lot of control, which I think is important.
- Cory Magel

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:42:53 PM »
A favorite talent combo for me is Blessed by XXXX God with Destiny Sense, then play anything interesting as the GM's willing puppet. 

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline Marrethiel

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 12:42:55 AM »
A favorite talent combo for me is Blessed by XXXX God with Destiny Sense, then play anything interesting as the GM's willing puppet.
I've done this before, playing a non spell casting Halfling Assasin in MERP... an agent of the Valar with less scruples than most :)
Gatekeeper to the Under-Dark: "Why are you seeking passage?"
Kal-El pauses in thought (briefly contemplating how to manage the Never Lie and Always Deceive curses on him), "I came to conquer all know-able universes".
Gatekeeper: You may pass.
Gatekeeper: Who are you?
Kal El: A tourist

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 02:28:12 AM »
I think the most fun, yet annoying, use of Talent Law I've made is "Split Personality".  We tinkered with the rationale, but it worked the same in practice.  I'll try to keep this short (not all the back story)

Twin brothers, one a Warrior Monk the other a Mage, were abducted by a villain.  A spell/curse was placed on them so he could use them as henchmen, but he was only able to control one at a time.  So, the villain set it up so he could instantly swap them out wherever they are.  The one currently not being controlled would have no idea that he was doing anything other than what the twin had just been doing, just in his own way.  Being a character with a robe and a staff it was the perfect 'cover' so-to-speak.

So, in the middle of a fight the Mage twin casts a Firebolt and the next round is switched and makes multiple melee attacks with his quarterstaff.  One of the other players was going nuts because he couldn't figure out how I was doing those things with the same character.  He'd say "But you just firebolted that guy!" and I'd say (cause I had to roleplay it) "No I didn't I hit him with my staff."  I'd also 'mysteriously' not have any wounds after I'd obviously been hit (i.e. the twins swapped and the other was fine).  That player actually got slightly annoyed at one point cause I was always evasive about it.  Not sure if he thought I was just screwing with him or what.  He partially finally figured it out when the players finally realized I said I was a Warrior Monk at one point, then later claimed I was a Mage and both reference their twin brother who needed to be save that was the opposite profession (course they partially assumed it was the "Split Personality").  Course, then we confronted the villain and we had the cliche "fight with the evil twin" battle.

I have to say, while it was fun, it could be really annoying at times.  At least when I was flying as a Mage and the twins swapped the Warrior Monk one was almost always able to mitigate the fall with the moving maneuver skills he had.  Not sure I'd want to do that again though.
- Cory Magel

Offline yammahoper

• Sage
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Nothing to see here, move along.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 07:06:54 PM »
I've done this before, playing a non spell casting Halfling Assasin in MERP... an agent of the Valar with less scruples than most :)

+1!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 08:22:59 PM »
I think the most fun, yet annoying, use of Talent Law I've made is "Split Personality".  We tinkered with the rationale, but it worked the same in practice.  I'll try to keep this short (not all the back story)

Twin brothers, one a Warrior Monk the other a Mage, were abducted by a villain.  A spell/curse was placed on them so he could use them as henchmen, but he was only able to control one at a time.  So, the villain set it up so he could instantly swap them out wherever they are.  The one currently not being controlled would have no idea that he was doing anything other than what the twin had just been doing, just in his own way.  Being a character with a robe and a staff it was the perfect 'cover' so-to-speak.

So, in the middle of a fight the Mage twin casts a Firebolt and the next round is switched and makes multiple melee attacks with his quarterstaff.  One of the other players was going nuts because he couldn't figure out how I was doing those things with the same character.  He'd say "But you just firebolted that guy!" and I'd say (cause I had to roleplay it) "No I didn't I hit him with my staff."  I'd also 'mysteriously' not have any wounds after I'd obviously been hit (i.e. the twins swapped and the other was fine).  That player actually got slightly annoyed at one point cause I was always evasive about it.  Not sure if he thought I was just screwing with him or what.  He partially finally figured it out when the players finally realized I said I was a Warrior Monk at one point, then later claimed I was a Mage and both reference their twin brother who needed to be save that was the opposite profession (course they partially assumed it was the "Split Personality").  Course, then we confronted the villain and we had the cliche "fight with the evil twin" battle.

I have to say, while it was fun, it could be really annoying at times.  At least when I was flying as a Mage and the twins swapped the Warrior Monk one was almost always able to mitigate the fall with the moving maneuver skills he had.  Not sure I'd want to do that again though.

Wonderful story Cory, hey that rhymes!

Offline Moostik

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
  • Rolemaster GM since 1993.
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2014, 05:21:09 PM »
+1 for CoryStory.

Loved it and the twinswap-idea.

Offline AV1611

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »
I use Talent Law exclusively with the various races getting a specific number of Talent points to spend (as listed in Talent Law).  I also allow players to spend Talent points above their normal racial allotment at the cost of 1 additional Talent point per 3 points of Flaws.  Flaws must actually hinder a character.  No "fluff" Flaws, like letting a Fighter with no intention of ever buying spell lists pick a Flaw like "Power Burn" just to score more points to buy more Talents.  I do not allow "stacking" of "like" Talents (ex: Inner Reserve + Natural Physique) and reserve the final say on what I allow players to take.