Author Topic: Combat Companion styles vs Martial Arts Companion styles  (Read 2026 times)

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Combat Companion styles vs Martial Arts Companion styles
« on: April 16, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
I am trying to decide what is more appropriate to use as far as styles go.  Can anyone give me some feedback as to Combat Companion styles versus Martial Arts companion styles?  I am using RMSS.

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Combat Companion styles vs Martial Arts Companion styles
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Martial Arts Companion styles are designed for martial artist to include weapon styles. They have features that allow Martial Art skills such as Adrenal Defense and Adrenal moves to be incorporated within the styles. Combat Companion are more for the fighters and other pure arms users. It has bonuses for specializing in combat weapon skills with two weapon, board and sword, two handed weapons, Bow styles ect.. It would have to depend on what campaign style you are using and character background IMHO. I use both for my campaigns with the Martial Arts reserved for monks and warrior monks unless there is a background tie in.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 03:37:03 PM »
I also read in Combat Companion that there is a Martial Arts style focus.  That was the reason I asked the question, as Combat Companion brings in the Martial Artist and has maneuvers and abilities that play to this.  Has anyone done Martial Arts with the Combat Companion?

Offline Ecthelion

• ICE Forum Moderator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
    • Character Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 02:57:39 AM »
Since you are using RMSS I would suggest to use the Martial Arts Companion (MAC). I would suggest the Combat Companion rather for RM2 users.

Offline Cory Magel

• Loremaster
  • OIC Points +5/-5
  • Fun > Balance > Realism
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 03:25:50 AM »
Since you are using RMSS I would suggest to use the Martial Arts Companion (MAC). I would suggest the Combat Companion rather for RM2 users.

We've converted a LOT of RM2 material over to RMSS, so I wouldn't make a choice based simply on what someone is using.  If you know RM pretty well it's not at all hard to do.
- Cory Magel

Game design priority: Fun > Balance > Realism (greater than > less than).
(Channeling Companion, RMQ 1 & 2, and various Guild Companion articles author).

"The only thing I know about adults is that they are obsolete children." - Dr Seuss

Offline tbigness

• Navigator
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »
I would keep it simple and separate the Martial Arts Companion for Monks and Warrior Monks and Convert the Combat Companion to use with other Professions. This will keep the mystery of the arts to the Martial Artist and allow other Arms users specializations that are unique for them. IMHO anyway it works well for my campaigns.
Knowledge is unimagined Power

Offline Voriig Kye

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 09:53:16 AM »
We've been using Combat Companion ever since it came out and the players just love it. It has improved the flavor of combat for non, semi and even pure spell users. In a campaign that we finished last year most where martial artists and it did not change that feeling. One of the players even built for herself a monk with archery as focus, and the rules in the Combat Companion never faltered. Priests can create defensive styles to last longer, Magicians can combine bolts to make development easier, fighters can stack some 2 or 3 great styles with multiple attacks, etc.
Also, our rule set is mainly RMFRP, and we've had no big problems adapting the small differences. The book is full of suggestions on how to be applied to RMFRP.

Offline gandalf970

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:08 AM »
Thank you everyone, this is very helpful and will aid in explaining to my characters.  Cheers.

Offline netbat

• Seeker of Wisdom
  • OIC Points +0/-0
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
Like Vorlig said, the combat styles work as well in RMFP/RMSS as RMC/RM2. It does change the weapon skills to the combined progression though. I will blow my own horn a bit and say if you like the standard progression concept I wrote up an article in the September Guild Companion for options to keep the standard progression for combat styles.
One thing about the combat styles I found though was that it can be a lot of work for the GM to create and match styles to his world and it tends to increase OBs so I had to use some of the style options for creatures as well.
There is no frigate like a book to take us lands away -
                                                   Emily Dickenson