Author Topic: Software for playing RM with distributed group  (Read 1702 times)

Offline skippern

• Apprentice
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Software for playing RM with distributed group
« on: February 15, 2014, 05:58:01 PM »
Greetings folks

I have been a long time GM in Rolemaster, and had active campaigns running from as early as 1992, until 2006, when I moved from my home country.

I have since missed playing rpg's, both as player and as GM.

But lately some buddies from my old groups have started talking about playing distributed, find some solution to play from each our corner of the world. In that case it was suggested http://www.roll20.net, but that doesn't quite do it for me.

The Roll20 environment seems friendly enough, with voice and video chat, shared maps, pre-creating of handouts, etc, and even software dice. But what puts me down is that Rolemaster is little supported, character/npc/encounter seems too generic (maybe still relying much on paper?), and champaign planning needs to be done online.

What I want is to be able to plan champaign details on the move (I am travelling a lot with my job), so offline map-drawing, npc-creation, etc is a must-have

Also the system must be multi-platform, I am mainly using Mac, and some of the players are mainly using Linux, and some are sticking to Windows (because there is where all their games are), though iPad/Android tablet might also be desirable solutions, though I need it to support as many of these platforms as possible.

Wishlist:
1) Offline planning/map creation/npc creation, etc.
2) Cross-platform online playing
3) support software dice with possibility for manual override/ manual dice
4) Character sheets, notes, handouts, maps must be handled in-app

If anybody know of any software that can allow me some or all of these I would apriciate

I have started to play around this idea to see if I can make it for OS X and iOS, but would need support from elsewhere to get the code migrated to other platforms. If the software starts looking promising I will later contact various license holders with regards on use of graphics and distribution of the software, and maybe transmit a petition for helping migrating the software to other platforms

Offline Wolfhound

• Wise Elder
  • OIC Points +10/-10
  • nothin' ta see here...
    • World of Ærnth/Channel Cities
Re: Software for playing RM with distributed group
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:35:25 PM »
you may want to take a look at this section (many threads to read over) on Fantasy Grounds:  http://www.ironcrown.com/ICEforums/index.php?board=141.0

It seems like pretty good software for this purpose.  I was impressed enough with it (after one of the people who is heavily involved with it here in the forums running a sample of it for myself and someone else) that I purchased the full license (so that I can run games for others without them having to purchase the software (there are a variety of licensing options for it)).

Unfortunately I've not had the time to actually get very far with it yet due to my current writing project for ICE, but I'm hoping soon to be able to have some spare time and pull the stuff for the campaign module I'm writing for RMU into it (as there is work being done to implement an RMU rules set in addition to the RM Classic rules set).  So can't provide a lot of help yet, but it is definitely work checking out.  I had also talked to the developers at GenCon last year about it and told them that I had purchased it for Rolemaster and they had some suggestions for how to import stuff into the system (and it can be done off-line, but obviously you do need to be online to actually run a game with it). 
Wolfhound (aka Aaron Smalley)
World of Aernth/Channel Cities setting: www.ChannelCities.com
City of Archendurn & Dun Cru author (for RM/HARP)
Cur. projects: RMU Creature Law 1 & 2, No Quarter Under the Crown (campaign module for RMU)

Offline Dakadin

• Neophyte
  • OIC Points +0/-0
Re: Software for playing RM with distributed group
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55:54 PM »
Hi Skippern,

As Wolfhound mentioned, Fantasy Grounds with a full or ultimate license and the Rolemaster Classic ruleset will handle most of what you are looking for.

Here is how Fantasy Grounds will handle some of the items on your wishlist:

#1. It won't handle map creation but will allow you to add any jpg or png images to your campaigns so you will need something else to create your maps.  It will handle most of the other stuff though. 

You can create story entries with details of your campaign or adventures.  These can contain links to other story entries, images/maps, NPCs, etc. 

NPCs can be created from scratch or you can use something from one of the included library modules as a starting point.  You can drag an NPC from the Character Law Non-Player Character Table (10-18) or from Creatures and Treasures into your campaign.

#2.  Fantasy Grounds is a windows native application.  I haven't tried it with Mac or Linux but I know that there are users that play using Mac and Linux.  For Mac, you can use something like WineBottler or something compatible.  I don't remember off the top of my head what they use for Linux.  There is more information including guides here:  http://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?41-The-House-of-Healing.

#3.  There are 3d dice that you can double click or drag to roll.  There is an option for any roll that resolves against a table to use the stack.  This allows the GM to resolve the rolls by right clicking them in the stack.  This will look up the results in the appropriate table and let the GM manually adjust the results on the table just by clicking the cell you want to use instead.  The GM can then right click the cell and choose resolve to open the critical or fumble table associated with the result. The result of another roll can be dragged onto the critical or fumble table to have it look up the results.

You can also have your players roll most of their rolls in the dice tower so only the GM sees the results or the GM rolls can be hidden which allows the GM to just show the results if they prefer.

#4. Character sheets, notes, handouts and maps are handled in Fantasy Grounds plus a couple other things. 

It isn't a full character creator but it does have automation to help with stat generation, stat generation and skill development.  Notes can be create by the GM or the PCs.

Handouts can be either text based using story entries or using images.  You just set them up and share them with the PCs when it is appropriate.  Images can even have a mask to hide portions of them until the GM wants to reveal them.

As stated earliers, Fantasy Grounds isn't a map creation tool but if you have maps they can be added as jpg or png images.  You can then share them with the PCs, use a mask to hide portions, add a grid, add tokens and draw points, circles or squares on them.

The combat tracker will keep help track of the PCs and NPCs including hits, PP, effects, notes, exhaustion, and a move % calculator. 

The GM can access the attack, critical, fumble, MM, RR, etc. tables from Character Law, Arms Law, Spell Law and Creatures & Treasures. 

There is a calendar that includes 2 notes sections for each day.  One that the PCs can read and the other that is only usable by the GM.  There are about a half dozen different calendars to choose from include the Shadow World calendar.  You can even create your own calendar if you don't mind modifying XML.  If you aren't comfortable with that just let me know and I can help with it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.